Ulster Senior football championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, April 01, 2024, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtothecore

Armagh looked a very strong and impressive team against Fermanagh. Down have looked the opposite recently. It's hard task ahead here for lavery and meenagh

Orior

Both sides struggled in Brewster Park with the severe cross wind, hence the low points total.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

yellowcard

Armagh have shown glimpses of the 2022 championship form this year but I'd still be worried that they will slip back into last years negative mindset when faced with better opposition. The same thing happened in the League final again when the stakes were heightened and the fear of losing took over. 

The Ulster final, should we get there, could well be the defining game of the season because they won't be winning an All Ireland title. For a lot of those players it's probably the last chance saloon to try and win meaningful silverware.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2024, 10:04:42 PMArmagh have shown glimpses of the 2022 championship form this year but I'd still be worried that they will slip back into last years negative mindset when faced with better opposition. The same thing happened in the League final again when the stakes were heightened and the fear of losing took over. 

The Ulster final, should we get there, could well be the defining game of the season because they won't be winning an All Ireland title. For a lot of those players it's probably the last chance saloon to try and win meaningful silverware.

I'd honestly think more of management if we went gung ho and ended up losing rather than going out and playing cowardly football like the Monaghan quarter final.

Hopefully we can strike a happy medium though!

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 15, 2024, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2024, 10:04:42 PMArmagh have shown glimpses of the 2022 championship form this year but I'd still be worried that they will slip back into last years negative mindset when faced with better opposition. The same thing happened in the League final again when the stakes were heightened and the fear of losing took over. 

I'd honestly think more of management if we went gung ho and ended up losing rather than going out and playing cowardly football like the Monaghan quarter final.

Yes, I'd ageee with that. I've no problem losing providing we do so by trying to win the match rather than playing not to lose and engaging in another arm wrestle. As well as being pain staking to watch it doesn't actually suit the type of player we have.

The Galway defeat in 2022 was one I could live with as it was enjoyable football to watch and we certainly had a go that season.

David McKeown

Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2024, 10:14:28 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 15, 2024, 10:06:32 PM

Yes, I'd ageee with that. I've no problem losing providing we do so by trying to win the match rather than playing not to lose and engaging in another arm wrestle. As well as being pain staking to watch it doesn't actually suit the type of player we have.

The Galway defeat in 2022 was one I could live with as it was enjoyable football to watch and we certainly had a go that season.

We had a go second half that day when the old style was clearly no longer working.  Even then we reverted to type when we went ahead and stopped doing what got us into the game.  The extra time period was the same.  Ultra conservative, concede then have to play from behind.

My worry with this group is that I have no idea if we are any good or not because we never seem to go for it.  As others have said if we try and fail then at least we will know 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

David McKeown

Is it meaningful silverware?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

JoG2

Quote from: David McKeown on April 15, 2024, 11:25:06 PM

No, neither is the league, Sam is the only show in town!!  :-X

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on April 15, 2024, 11:36:58 PM

No, neither is the league, Sam is the only show in town!!  :-X

the Ulster championship has an important advantage in that someone other than Dublin has to win it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Theres only 3 trophies you can win at the start of the year. If an Ulster title isn't meaningful why bother even playing