Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Getting hard to listen to now ClonadMad.
The first step should be strengthening our Club executives. Same faces running most clubs every year, certainly the same faces going in as CB Delegates.
There is a decent opportunity for Clubs and their delegates to hold the CB a lot more accountable, make sensible demands, organise themselves prior to meetings & conventions so they have back up etc.

There is no point in pretending that any old Joe Soap will go from unknown to CB executive. People vote for familiarity. It's why the same old faces end up in the Dáil election after election. It's a game, and there are very few shortcuts. Any of the sudden breakthroughs are high profile/celebrity candidates. The rest will have worked hard locally for years or even decades.

Step 1- Have a look at who your own CB Delegate is? Is it someone that's there for the last 20 years because they are available and willing?
Is it someone who wants to break onto the CB executive?
Is there someone in your club who has gone from long time delegate to CB executive and now sits there nice & content?

There are sensible, strong & fair minded people needed as delegates. The local media (somewhat understandably) won't rock the boat with the CB. But they would cover and report a delegate or group of delegates challenging the CB on sensible matters.
The only one I could say I have seen reported as doing this is in a coherent way is Mattie Collier from Camross on a couple of occasions.

To me this would be a much more sensible approach than planning a bloody coup. You wouldn't need a huge campaign or effort to become your clubs CB delegate as a first step.

And to be clear, I don't mean hurling club delegates going in fighting with football club delegates on a monthly basis.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

No of fence to John McEvoy, and I'm sure he would be someone who would do it for the right reasons, but I think he is currently a tier below where we should be aiming.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on December 02, 2020, 11:29:34 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 02, 2020, 10:51:00 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on December 02, 2020, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 02, 2020, 09:18:36 AM
As I said earlier

There's 12-14 top table positions up,that are up for re-election this year and every year.

There are 3 contests this year at convention

Only 1 new person putting his head up for election

Lads here don't like me saying it,even to the extent of ad hominem attacks

But if you have only new person willing  to go forward and it's not apathy what is it ?

My solution  for the 2021 convention at its too late for 2020

There should be a delegation of us knocking on the likes of pat or cheddars door or some other well respected laois person

Asking them to run as chairperson

This is the key bit

They then over the next few months sound out and get the remaining 10-12 best qualified people in situ to run for all the positions

And when convention time comes around they have a viable alternative Cabinet for want of a better phrase to be elected at convention

This affects a mass clearout of the existing top table

You don't have 1 or 2 going in and getting swallowed up by the existing incumbents,you have a majority of fresh thinking people at the table this way.

The more I think about it through an Independent supporters club is the first step.

Not only to raise money but also for talented  willing passionate laois people to coalesce together.

Isn't that what the CB is meant to be? A collection of our brightest and best minds coming together to do all of the above. Sounds like a breeding ground for conflict to me. Leave them at it. They know best. Always. About everything.

Fair enough

Best to do nothing then and just complain on here

Unless you're on the CB or are in the process of putting yourself forward, I'm assuming you are aiming at yourself there too

I was a club county board delegate for 2 years,back 6/7 years ago

I presume most including yourself did a stint there at any one time

So I would have a reasonable idea of the log lam and slowness to effect change on your own or even within a small group

Any observations or challenges or questions during monthly meetings were normally kicked to touch by the chair ,top table approach was reactive rather than proactive

Monthly meetings were taken up with the here and now and if you raised anything strategic you were told it wasn't the appropriate forum or they would look into it.

There was very little in terms of outside committees,the juvenile hurling committee is in reality a one man committee

I presume it hasn't changed much in the meantime

And yes I am culpable as well

Probably as much as anyone else on here

Lads might not like it

But sending in one or two well meaning people as delegates is a waste of time

Keyser might find me hard to listen to

But that's the reality

High Fielder

So there you go. You are living breathing proof that the wheel can't be reinvented. But yet you want others to have a go. It can't be done. There are too many benefitting (and yes I said benefitting) from the staleness. Eddie saw the lack of movement and got out. Sugrue did likewise, and you didn't last at it either. I mean this sincerely when I say fair play for giving it a go. I wouldn't have the patience

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on December 02, 2020, 12:13:21 PM
So there you go. You are living breathing proof that the wheel can't be reinvented. But yet you want others to have a go. It can't be done. There are too many benefitting (and yes I said benefitting) from the staleness. Eddie saw the lack of movement and got out. Sugrue did likewise, and you didn't last at it either. I mean this sincerely when I say fair play for giving it a go. I wouldn't have the patience

You missed my point

Me and I'm not saying I have any or all of the answers to solve it

But I do know sending  in well meaning people in one or two's as delegates won't sort it either as they will be picked off as well

Wholesale change is needed

Keyser mightn't like my analogy of a coup but that's what your looking at if you want to effect change in an 18 month timeframe

blueandwhite1

As in every other organization, it starts at the top. A progressive leader will bring progress. An unsuitable leader will defend the status quo and disenfranchise the progressives. The profile of our county board and the senior execs is wrong as in most counties. They are not hurling / football people as such but administrators. Unfortunately you don't see too many suitable folks putting their name forward. The likes of Niall Rigney, Pat Critchley, Cheddar and their football equivalents. I'll bet you would get far more ex-intercounty players involved in coaching and organizing if you had people like that in charge. Who would want to volunteer to help a county board that don't understand what it is like to train, manage or play at a high level for your club or county.

Keyser Söze

I didn't say ones or twos.
I suggested each club looks at who hey are sending as delegates.
I suggested some of these people organise themselves between and before meetings.
If something is important enough to raise it is surely possible to convince 5 or 6 other delegates beforehand to back you up etc.

It's a start.
It's also possible.

Good luck with the coup.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 02, 2020, 12:35:07 PM
I didn't say ones or twos.
I suggested each club looks at who hey are sending as delegates.
I suggested some of these people organise themselves between and before meetings.
If something is important enough to raise it is surely possible to convince 5 or 6 other delegates beforehand to back you up etc.

It's a start.
It's also possible.

Good luck with the coup.

Youve been a club delegate then?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on December 02, 2020, 12:36:13 PM

I haven't actually, but I have attended a number of the monthly meetings.

Have you been an InterCounty hurler?
Or manager?
Or a GDA?
Or a County Secretary?

Because if we are going on this basis, neither you nor I would have much to say on here.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 02, 2020, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 02, 2020, 12:36:13 PM

I haven't actually, but I have attended a number of the monthly meetings.

Have you been an InterCounty hurler?
Or manager?
Or a GDA?
Or a County Secretary?

Because if we are going on this basis, neither you nor I would have much to say on here.

That's a first

Someone attending a monthly meeting and they not an appointed delegate

Do you raise any points,make any changes when you were there,any successes

Anyways

your suggestion of 5/6 delegates getting together to effect change before any monthly meeting is a little bit lacking in the reality of what happens

I've been part of a group who've tried to do that

You will be told

It's not on the agenda

It's not the right place

Your taking up valuable time

We will discuss it in committee

It's not relevant to the meeting at hand,we need to move on

We will discuss this at a later date

My point stands

If you want to effect change,you gut the top table,that's where the procrastination and inertia resides

down up change isn't an issue

As regards being a Gda or IC Hurler,I don't know what experience of any of these roles has anything  with the current discussion as regards the  lack of good governance within the county

Keyser Söze

Are you serious??? Not a first at all. Would make me wonder if you ever attended any yourself.

On your other point- Simple logic my friend.
I assume your point was that I couldn't comment on the role of a CB delegate if I hadn't ever been one?
Well I assume this extends to commentating on other areas?
Such as
The needs of an IC hurling set up
The merits of prospective coaches
The ability of CB officials
Etc etc.

Or does it only apply to commenting on CB delegates & monthly meetings? 

Blow-in

portlaoisekid

High Fielder

I'll tell you where I am with this. Eddie Brennan is the best man right now for the Laois Senior Hurling job. No offence to some of the names being mentioned here, but I've never even heard of some of them. That's ok, I'm not a hurling man, and therefore I'm a little ignorant.

My point is this. Eddie Brennan and John Sugrue before him actually gave a f**k about Laois. We know this through what they said and what they did. If we couldn't give them what they wanted, we owed it to ourselves, if we believed in them and wanted to improve, to try and get them what they required. If that goes outside of the budget, then we fundraise or we turn to Laois Gaels.

I'll tell you what I see. I see a golf day and a day at Punchestown and an opportunity for all the hangers on to say aren't we great fellas, and meanwhile, what I really care about, our players, are going to be thrown to some mercenary either trying to make his name or a quick buck. Brennan and Sugrue wanted neither. They wanted commitment from their players, and in return, they would try their best to create the conditions around them to make them happy. Cheddar did the same out of his own pocket. These are people I will invest in every day of the week.

So to whatever Paddy Me Arse comes in next, good luck to you. Your first job will be to pick up the pieces. Great start. In an ideal world, you won't even get an interview, because the Laois CB will have done the right thing, gone back to Brennan, and say how can we make this work. You know like adults do when you fall out sometimes. Ha!

Blow-in