Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: clonadmad on November 27, 2020, 10:55:48 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 27, 2020, 10:45:10 AM
Fair points. I guess we need all our players playing, at the very least, to get anywhere near that. No doubt some won't commit now Brennan has gone. Some already didn't anyway. I don't think Tipp or Cavan are missing too many.

Peter Acheson is in Dubai
Liam Mc Grath Australia all ireland minor captain in 2011
Josh Keane Australia young footballer of the year nominee in 2016
John Meagher left to join the hurlers this year

All would be starters

And as a tipp football fan reminded this week,of his top 10 footballers playing club football there, he says only 3 are playing county football,the likes of john Brian Mcgrath and Seamus Kennedy are all gone to the hurlers

We have 2 main issues with Laois Hurling

Governance

And

Culture

We have a lot of the supporters thinking we were great to get so close to to Clare

We weren't

We should have beaten them and that's the reality

Brennan came into Laois with an outsiders perspective and had a lot more belief in our lads than many within the county

A golden crop. We've had those too. Cavan not noted for their hurling and similar population size to Laois. Tipp significantly bigger

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 27, 2020, 11:20:41 AM
Fair points. I guess we need all our players playing, at the very least, to get anywhere near that. No doubt some won't commit now Brennan has gone. Some already didn't anyway. I don't think Tipp or Cavan are missing too many.

All would be starters

And as a tipp football fan reminded this week,of his top 10 footballers playing club football there, he says only 3 are playing county football,the likes of john Brian Mcgrath and Seamus Kennedy are all gone to the hurlers

Governance

And

Culture

We have a lot of the supporters thinking we were great to get so close to to Clare

We weren't

Brennan came into Laois with an outsiders perspective and had a lot more belief in our lads than many within the county

A golden crop. We've had those too. Cavan not noted for their hurling and similar population size to Laois. Tipp significantly bigger

They have that many missing and they still got to where they are,now

2 all Ireland semi finals in 5 years when was the last time our golden crops did that?

you describe them as a "golden crop"

the same as if they sprouted overnight,

they havent,

there was a strategic football plan put in place in Tipp as far back as 2008 with the aim of improving juvenile structures,improving coaching,widening the player base and setting aims such as winning minor,u21 and provincial crowns,

the last target was to have them in a an all Ireland senior final by 2020.

I have nephews in a north club in Tipp probably playing or training football a third of the time,this has been in place for the past 10 years

When my brother in law was their age, he wouldn't have even known or cared what a football was.

Every excuse seems to be trundled out in Laois as to why we cant

as opposed to why we can

High Fielder

Easy Tiger. I'm on your side lol but as you say, there are plans. We shelve those.

Giovanni

All would be starters

Governance

And

Culture

We weren't

Excellent post.

We have managed to significantly improve performance in a very short period by "simply" having a good manager. Broadly, we were competitive with top teams. And this was without structures, without resources, without a proper planning framework, without investment in youth, etc. If we managed to get all these aspects correct, it wouldn't be unrealistic for us to think we could equal the likes of Clare in hurling.

High Fielder

Impossible to prove or disprove in my opinion. And if true, Mike Quirke has some serious questions to ask. I can't believe for one minute that the hurlers got more funding than the footballers, and significantly more if that is to be believed. Timely to say the least. I see it's the usual faces playing musical chairs at the top table

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 28, 2020, 08:30:31 AM
Impossible to prove or disprove in my opinion. And if true, Mike Quirke has some serious questions to ask. I can't believe for one minute that the hurlers got more funding than the footballers, and significantly more if that is to be believed. Timely to say the least. I see it's the usual faces playing musical chairs at the top table

It isn't impossible to prove or disprove

It's in the annual accounts

Get onto your club delegate,he or she will have the accounts to hand with everything broken down including  the amount of funding from HQ towards team preparation

High Fielder

So you honestly believe that the hurlers got more funding than the footballers. And you guys saying you're the poor relations every week on here. Come on

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 28, 2020, 10:23:41 AM
So you honestly believe that the hurlers got more funding than the footballers. And you guys saying you're the poor relations every week on here. Come on

Did anyone actually say that?

Let's have a look at the accounts first and amounts spent and deal in the facts before anyone gets up on their high horses as to who got more or less.

High Fielder

No high horse believe me. But I'm not buying that for a minute. We're better off without free spending Eddie. Look lads, he was crippling us.

Maybe Mike Quirke is the man who should have talked to Wooly. Looks like he was getting the thin end of the wedge

The PRO

Doesn't hurling generally cost more than football? Just asking mind. It's the extras in hurls and sliothars I thought? I remember being stunned years ago when a guy from Shanahoe told me how much his club cost to run per year and compared it to any equivalent football club.

High Fielder

No doubt about that PRO. But if the hurlers took over 500k, and the overall figure was 800 odd, what did the Senior Footballers get? I'd be interested to look deeper at those figures without any insinuation attached. It just sounds wrong to me

Giovanni

Whatever about the amount of money involved, a really big issue is who is deciding what to spend the money on in the team preparations. Does the manager have full control over these funds? If so, then Eddie Brennan can't really complain. However, if it's the county board that's deciding the spending priorities, then I could easily understand the frustration of managers

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 28, 2020, 01:37:13 PM
No doubt about that PRO. But if the hurlers took over 500k, and the overall figure was 800 odd, what did the Senior Footballers get? I'd be interested to look deeper at those figures without any insinuation attached. It just sounds wrong to me

The half a million figure is what the hurlers spent over 2 years 2019 and 2020

The €800k is what was spent on both hurling and football in 2019

That's the total for one year

You have misread the figures

Maybe you should actually delve into the accounts before you start having digs at "free spending Eddie" and us being better off without him.

High Fielder

You clearly can't pick up on irony. I'll leave you to it

The tone of that article to me suggested that Eddie was free spending and we're better rid. I don't agree with that, obviously. I'm not getting into a tit for tat with you clonad, because I enjoy reading your posts. I think the CB made a massive error letting Brennan go. He won't be easily replaced