Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

I can't imagine too many "names" being interested. They will have heard what Eddie said. There it is. Do what you can with it. That short sighted approach from the CB cheapens the brand; not Eddie's criticisms or remarks. If they haven't got a pot to piss in, stay local, but for God's sake look after the players first and foremost. No point going around all Billy Big Bollocks saying we got Eddie Brennan when you can't back up his ambitions. I have to say they look completely shot of any credibility right now in my eyes. For their own sakes, their next appointment needs to bark when he's told to. What a mess....

Keyser Söze

True to a degree. I know Enda mentioned attracting a big name. But I hope this is applied to somebody young, in touch and "up and coming" (Brennan, Herrity, Shane O' Neill, Lally type "big name") rather than the Teddy McCarthy type big name!
That's the big danger, I wouldn't be letting them off the hook by being able to present a "big name".

It's obvious Laois don't have a bottomless budget, but IC managers like Brennan and Quirke are still being well looked after. There will be interest from that point of view, but most good fellas tend to cherry pick and certainly tend to avoid perceived poisoned chalices. The last few weeks will have done us no good in that regard.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Quote from: High Fielder on November 25, 2020, 07:00:57 AM
No point going around all Billy Big Bollocks saying we got Eddie Brennan when you can't back up his ambitions. I have to say they look completely shot of any credibility right now in my eyes.

Exactly this. Eddie Brennan said this too in his off the record interview. Basically he was left with the backroom team to graft away with little to no support from the CB.

The CB obviously have this train of thought that they get "a big name" to keep the fans and players quiet and thats it, that is all that needs to be done. How dare Eddie have any ambition in the role by coming back and seeking to work out a streamlined club fixtures schedule to free up county players ahead of the national championships let alone having physios and things right for the players.

I could imagine some on the CB reacting to that with their bottom lip meeting their eyebrows at that request - like a dog that just licked pi$$ off a nettle. The audacity of Brennan, how dare he ask, for some more.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Milltown Row2

We've brought in a director of hurling in the county last year, someone to put in a plan and see it through from the grassroots up to intercounty..

Basically only started and due to the current covid restrictions its difficult to access the progress this year, but the future will be a lot better if he's given the green light to carry out the ambition Antrim wants.

Has Laois got a director of hurling?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Keyser Söze

Milltown would ye consider yourselves well funded from a combination of GAA/NI executive and business interests?
I'd have expected ye would be, but always hard to assess from the outside.
The isolated location must be a real killer? All counties down here are basically adjoining each other in a single connected landmass.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Ogie

Probably two threads / conversations on the go here (1) Our Senior hurling manager (2) Structures for Hurling Development in the county, number 2 needs a lot of discussion and planning & good people back involved ( Cheddar, Pat etc & more GDA positions filled and working )

Number 1 , some ideas, Other than some names already thrown out by Laois Today & Leinster Express

Jeff Lynskey from Galway ( Would also have a very educated input for our Development structures, has done brilliant work in Galway underage )
Willie Maher, highly regarded in Tipp Circles, just left the Cuala Job after two successful years
Darragh Egan , may be tempted like Eddie to cut his teeth now at inter county management
Stephen Frampton - Ballygunner & Waterford
Pat Ryan Current Cork U20 Manager, possibly already lined up for the Cork job in next year or so
Diarmuid O Sullivan, good experience gained in the Cork set up, high profile
Brendan Bugler ? very new to coaching but was on Davys ticket in Clare
Declan Fanning , highly thought of coach with Tipp & Na Piarsaigh (Maybe with Ken Hogan managing?)
Brendan Cummins
Liam Dunne / Willie Cleary Wexford

Just a few ideas. The players will move on quickly so we need to be moving on this immediately with a selection panel put in place and get moving,

clonadmad

Quote from: Ogie on November 25, 2020, 05:12:08 PM
Probably two threads / conversations on the go here (1) Our Senior hurling manager (2) Structures for Hurling Development in the county, number 2 needs a lot of discussion and planning & good people back involved ( Cheddar, Pat etc & more GDA positions filled and working )

Number 1 , some ideas, Other than some names already thrown out by Laois Today & Leinster Express

Jeff Lynskey from Galway ( Would also have a very educated input for our Development structures, has done brilliant work in Galway underage )
Willie Maher, highly regarded in Tipp Circles, just left the Cuala Job after two successful years
Darragh Egan , may be tempted like Eddie to cut his teeth now at inter county management
Pat Ryan Current Cork U20 Manager, possibly already lined up for the Cork job in next year or so
Declan Fanning , highly thought of coach with Tipp & Na Piarsaigh (Maybe with Ken Hogan managing?)
Brendan Cummins

Just a few ideas. The players will move on quickly so we need to be moving on this immediately with a selection panel put in place and get moving,

Lynskey is waiting for the galway job,brilliant guy,not a hope of him going to Laois

Maher gone to bennetsbridge

Daragh,has a big back room of people reporting into him in the tipp setup,he wouldn't have that problem with laois for starters,still involved hugely with Kiladangan,young family and a school principal

Frampton is first year with Cahill and Bevans,every chance Waterford could win the all ireland this year or next.

Pat ryan in line for cork job soon

The Rock,haven't seen any evidence of what he could bring

Bugler,green and when he went for an interview in Portlaoise CBS they didn't even know who he was

Fanning involved with Killenaule,doubtful if Ken wants to finally bury his management career

Cummins supposed to have been part of the Kerry set up last weekend instead looked after his media career but then again Laois let brennan do the same

Laoisred

Plenty of names mentioned there. This forum could be useful for the selection committee to review. Plenty of reasons suggedted why people wouldn't come but there are reasons why the job might interest people too!
Just one other point how many managers do Bennettsbridge have? Yesterday it was Sheflin and today Willie Maher is over them.....

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoisred on November 25, 2020, 07:24:03 PM
Plenty of names mentioned there. This forum could be useful for the selection committee to review. Plenty of reasons suggedted why people wouldn't come but there are reasons why the job might interest people too!
Just one other point how many managers do Bennettsbridge have? Yesterday it was Sheflin and today Willie Maher is over them.....

Mea Culpa

Shefflin is gone to Thomastown not Bennetsbridge

Maher and Big Dan are gone to Bennetsbridge,no shortage of cash there

Lots of excellent names there is right and I don't want to be negative or shooting down lad especially when I'm all about finding solutions in relation to Laois hurling myself

I do think we are tarnished by this as a hurling county and appointing a manager is just a sticking plaster

Any manager worthy of consideration is going to be prearmed and will want nailed down guarantees as regards the support package for the county board probably above and beyond what they can feasibly offer at this moment in time

The whole juvenile development in this county needs a complete over haul

We need to spend the budget already in place as regards GDA's

We need an independent supporters club in place as well

Our governance needs an overall,we have a hurling board chairman and no hurling board

clonadmad

Quote from: clonadmad on November 25, 2020, 07:59:54 PM
Quote from: Laoisred on November 25, 2020, 07:24:03 PM

Mea Culpa

Shefflin is gone to Thomastown not Bennetsbridge

Maher and Big Dan are gone to Bennetsbridge,no shortage of cash there

Lots of excellent names there is right and I don't want to be negative or shooting down lad especially when I'm all about finding solutions in relation to Laois hurling myself

I do think we are tarnished by this as a hurling county and appointing a manager is just a sticking plaster

Any outside manager worthy of consideration is going to be prearmed and will want nailed down guarantees as regards the support package for the county board probably above and beyond what they can feasibly offer at this moment in time

I think we should look within the county.

The whole juvenile development in this county needs a complete over haul

We need to spend the budget already in place as regards GDA's

We need an independent supporters club in place as well

Our governance needs an overall,we have a hurling board chairman and no hurling board

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on November 25, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

Brendan Cummins

Lynskey is waiting for the galway job,brilliant guy,not a hope of him going to Laois

Daragh,has a big back room of people reporting into him in the tipp setup,he wouldn't have that problem with laois for starters,still involved hugely with Kiladangan,young family and a school principal

Frampton is first year with Cahill and Bevans,every chance Waterford could win the all ireland this year or next.

Bugler,green and when he went for an interview in Portlaoise CBS they didn't even know who he was

Fanning involved with Killenaule,doubtful if Ken wants to finally bury his management career

Cummins supposed to have been part of the Kerry set up last weekend instead looked after his media career but then again Laois let brennan do the same
they didnt know who he was ? As a teacher ?

burdizzo

Yeah, Portlaoise CBS, that bastion of hurling.

marty34

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 25, 2020, 09:28:36 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 25, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

Brendan Cummins

they didnt know who he was ? As a teacher ?

Says more about the school than Bugler.

An outside bet, Darren Gleeson of Antrim.  Hr has them going really well and Laois a bit closer than the north.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 25, 2020, 01:58:02 PM
Milltown would ye consider yourselves well funded from a combination of GAA/NI executive and business interests?
The isolated location must be a real killer? All counties down here are basically adjoining each other in a single connected landmass.

No real funding coming from the NI executive side of things as you can imagine.. but Club Antrim has started to build up great funding ideas and initiatives to generate money to help towards the better development of the county teams.. We are a long way off the standard that Laois has brought to the table so far and I'd imagine they would be our benchmark.

Logistics will always be the problem but the Joe McDonagh cup these last few years has enabled us to play a standard of hurling that we were at and improve us, the games against that 2nd tier teams will hopefully allow us to develop even further.

Antrim took their eye off the ball after the break up of the automatic semi finals.. we are only slowly coming back, club hurling is very good with 4/5 very competitive teams at the minute as our championship showed this year. Because of covid we have all players available that are fit, couple of other additions would improve it again..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2020, 09:04:27 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 25, 2020, 01:58:02 PM

No real funding coming from the NI executive side of things as you can imagine.. but Club Antrim has started to build up great funding ideas and initiatives to generate money to help towards the better development of the county teams.. We are a long way off the standard that Laois has brought to the table so far and I'd imagine they would be our benchmark.

Logistics will always be the problem but the Joe McDonagh cup these last few years has enabled us to play a standard of hurling that we were at and improve us, the games against that 2nd tier teams will hopefully allow us to develop even further.

Antrim took their eye off the ball after the break up of the automatic semi finals.. we are only slowly coming back, club hurling is very good with 4/5 very competitive teams at the minute as our championship showed this year. Because of covid we have all players available that are fit, couple of other additions would improve it again..

Gaelfast will come good for you in the longer term as they're concentrating on the underage/schools coaches and the likes and that's the right place IMO. Create a bigger playing base and build up from there.
It'll take 10 years or so for that to come to fruition.

Antrim have also been helped this year with the definitive split in the fixtures calendar. The club game is still king there and if a player for the likes of Cushendall, Dunloy or Loughgeil was finding it difficult time wise to commit to both, the club will win every time.

There's something in that but no doubt as soon as normality kicks back in the players will find themselves playing county one day and club the next for most of April, May and June.

Due to Laois' close proximity to the likes of Kilkenny and Tipp you'd have thought you might have a decent selection to chose from, but I'd be careful in who I'd go for and yer man Lynskey of Galway is certainly one I'd say might want to cut his teeth at senior IC level even though he's earmarked for the Galway job, as O'Neill might be there for another year or two. A bit like Liam Cahill's decision to go with Waterford from the Tipp U20's as he's a shoe in for the Tipp job once Sheedy steps down.

He might be put off by Brennans off the record comments as will most so there's a big onus on Laois CB to take onboard Brennans comments and be seen to be doing something about them if they're serious about Laois hurling kicking on as a tier one hurling county.

The players seem to be there but they two won't buy into another mickey mouse set up.