Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

I think the point regarding Portlaoise is somewhat valid- for Laois to be strong something needs to be done to rectify a situation where one-third of the counties population is facilitated by one club alone who are failing to tap into the majority of young people within the town. The majority of youngsters in Portlaoise play little or no GAA. It's a shambolic situation and one that needs to be looked at quickly.

We should be prioritising getting our underage structures right within the county. We need more competent Gaelic Development coaches and also need more former intercounty players etc. onboard to follow through properly on some very good initiatives that were proposed in the last decade that have scandalously fallen by the wayside or have been implemented half-arsed.

I've posted already but Laois are probably the smallest "proper" duel county in Ireland. To fund this properly is astronomical- for example galway spent 1.8 million on their hurling and football intercounty teams last year. Laois simply don't have this money and never will- (unless we can get JP McManus to adopt us as his second county). What additional money is raised should go getting our underage structures right and ensuring that we have a pool of players coming through year on year who have received the optimum coaching, strength and conditioning and other supports that we can provide them with. Throwing additional money into our senior teams is not the answer if we continue to neglect our underage structures in the manner that we currently do.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: High Fielder on November 14, 2020, 01:06:00 PM
Ah come on Hesh. We all know that the criteria here is to sit politely, nod in the appropriate places and take your free car parking and entry. Do Nothing Delegates and sorry to use a Trumpism. For all the criticism I hear from our pious local media, I honestly feel more enlightened reading this forum and other social media platforms. I can't stand being patronised and that's all I'm hearing from those who have vested interest. I'll say it again. Fair f**king play Eddie Brennan. You confirmed what I suspected for a very long time
All I'm saying is 7 or 8 of the county board were not on it three years ago. That's a fact.
And I've no vested interest.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

High Fielder

I didn't say you had. I'm not interested in your stats, as well intentioned and earnest though they are. Sometimes clowns retire from the circus. And what do they replace them with?

Look this will all die down after the meeting, and life will go on. Even the CB will know they need to do more and will make a few promises to Eddie. Ultimately Eddie can't win here unless he gets the hurlers to do something out of the extraordinary. I'm grateful for his honesty, because it accords with my thinking. Beyond that, he shouldn't have got as personal as he did, and it's up to him to own that. But after that, he knows more than anyone else what he needs to do to do the job properly

clonadmad

Hurling is an issue in Portlaoise definitely and they need to grow participation,,Portlaoise parish needs a full time GDA.

Highlighted in the strategic plan, nothing done about it even though the funding is in place.

There's also an issue in the likes of the CBS where more first years this year would play cricket than hurling.

Also as I mentioned in a previous post we have 16 clubs playing u13  hurling and roughly 400 u13 hurlers,how do we grow the numbers to say 500 and then 600 in that cohort every year.

For starters we have 48 clubs which means 32 clubs aren't putting out even an u13 hurling team

We should be looking to get the club numbers from 16 to 22

How do we do this

One solution

Play an u13 league and championship for clubs low on numbers or getting hurling off the ground

Make the numbers as low as 7/8 a side for games to take place and put proper governance and support in place for them to grow

All this then feeds into my 2 visits to the CoE every 3 weeks suggestion for expert support and coaching,no club starting up or their hurlers gets neglected or left behind.

ohara

so again you refuse to say what the county board are doing wrong.....grand I'll take this a concrete proof your talking nonsense

>:(quote author=High Fielder link=topic=29598.msg2008420#msg2008420 date=1605359663]
The issues have been well documented. Some great solutions and ideas have been put forward by clonad, Keyser and one or two other very good posters. Your noise can't detract from that o'hara. Your criticism of Brennan, quite frankly, is embarrassing. The man uses all Ireland medals to pay for his parking. Give up
[/quote]

portlaoisekid

Quote from: ohara on November 14, 2020, 09:29:19 AM
yes you really picked my arguement apart there!!!
its not an arguement though, it's an observation...if they dont have leadership and drive to make hurling thrive in out biggest population centre, why would you think they the men for county board ( a bigger job)

Eddie brennan  seemed to imply he wanted club championship run off a a blitz, bar not having 2 physios, he didnt make one coherent point to woolly, just enjoyed giving out for sake of it.  I'd love to see him continue, maybe he should offer to half his fee as contrition for rubbish he spreading.

they weren't questioning his performance as manager was a gripe of his...if they were he be going to woolly, "woolly look at the year we had last year, and the gombeens in county board are challenging me on fitness of team etc"

a five minute rant with no coherent points made...populas rubbish that appeals to people on Facebook and twitter.
Eddie Brennan wanted more funds, but never gave one hint of type of stuff more funds would bring to laois set up  nonsense!!

quote author=portlaoisekid link=topic=29598.msg2008337#msg2008337 date=1605306501]
Quote from: ohara on November 13, 2020, 08:46:24 PM
Cheddar and Rigney, both from the club that have biggest pick by country mile in the county.....and they cant even put the structures and systems in place to get their own club to top level.....but based on nothing only their media presence their the lads we need involved....nonsense. laois need a good portlaoise hurling team and town, cheddar has them playing 2nd tier, get their own house in order before they save the county please

Probably a lot less than the current very long list of f**k ups. Obviously the people would need to put themselves forward for selection. But I'll tell you what, I'd rather have folk like Cheddar or Rigney having input than some of the officers we have.
super stuff, the coherence of your argument suggests you would thrive on our county board....

Cheddar and Niall would obviously be awful choices as part of a Laois administration but hell  the lads in there are doing so well , I believe it's a case of it's not broken why fix it ?
Apologies OHara, I should have added I recognise your correct about Portlaoise and our lack of progress with hurling ,god knows I know it inside out.

But I do believe Chedder ,for example,  would be an amazing figure head for Laois GAA..I genuinely believe if given the power and resources to implement his ideas he would make Laois a top hurling and football county or at least be the best we can be  way above where we are now. Itll never happen but the man is a genius in a GAA sense and also a business sense...He is made for the job.

High Fielder

Quote from: ohara on November 14, 2020, 05:37:11 PM
so again you refuse to say what the county board are doing wrong.....grand I'll take this a concrete proof your talking nonsense

>:(quote author=High Fielder link=topic=29598.msg2008420#msg2008420 date=1605359663]
The issues have been well documented. Some great solutions and ideas have been put forward by clonad, Keyser and one or two other very good posters. Your noise can't detract from that o'hara. Your criticism of Brennan, quite frankly, is embarrassing. The man uses all Ireland medals to pay for his parking. Give up
[/quote]

You're talking nonsense. as in you are talking nonsense. Please stop  ::) Your credibility was shot when you said Brennan was ranting. Results today prove he clearly wasn't.

ohara

a genius....but his own club which has numbers rest of teams could only dream about, is a shambles at hurling

he was given job to find manager once for laois....cudnt get anyone and just took job himself.

no track record to speak of, has a bit of profile from woolys podcast, but has nice nickname so he must he answer.

on different matter I remember Parkinson boasting how he would get a lift to laois training from red cow, but still claim mileage even though he didnt drive.

grates me then listening to him giving out and mocking county board volunteers when you see type of character he is

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 14, 2020, 08:08:19 PM
its not an arguement though, it's an observation...if they dont have leadership and drive to make hurling thrive in out biggest population centre, why would you think they the men for county board ( a bigger job)

Eddie brennan  seemed to imply he wanted club championship run off a a blitz, bar not having 2 physios, he didnt make one coherent point to woolly, just enjoyed giving out for sake of it.  I'd love to see him continue, maybe he should offer to half his fee as contrition for rubbish he spreading.

they weren't questioning his performance as manager was a gripe of his...if they were he be going to woolly, "woolly look at the year we had last year, and the gombeens in county board are challenging me on fitness of team etc"

a five minute rant with no coherent points made...populas rubbish that appeals to people on Facebook and twitter.
Eddie Brennan wanted more funds, but never gave one hint of type of stuff more funds would bring to laois set up  nonsense!!

quote author=portlaoisekid link=topic=29598.msg2008337#msg2008337 date=1605306501]
Cheddar and Rigney, both from the club that have biggest pick by country mile in the county.....and they cant even put the structures and systems in place to get their own club to top level.....but based on nothing only their media presence their the lads we need involved....nonsense. laois need a good portlaoise hurling team and town, cheddar has them playing 2nd tier, get their own house in order before they save the county please

Probably a lot less than the current very long list of f**k ups. Obviously the people would need to put themselves forward for selection. But I'll tell you what, I'd rather have folk like Cheddar or Rigney having input than some of the officers we have.
super stuff, the coherence of your argument suggests you would thrive on our county board....

Cheddar and Niall would obviously be awful choices as part of a Laois administration but hell  the lads in there are doing so well , I believe it's a case of it's not broken why fix it ?
Apologies OHara, I should have added I recognise your correct about Portlaoise and our lack of progress with hurling ,god knows I know it inside out.

But I do believe Chedder ,for example,  would be an amazing figure head for Laois GAA..I genuinely believe if given the power and resources to implement his ideas he would make Laois a top hurling and football county or at least be the best we can be  way above where we are now. Itll never happen but the man is a genius in a GAA sense and also a business sense...He is made for the job.

ohara

list issues with county board please??
or else just move on

Quote from: High Fielder on November 14, 2020, 08:40:40 PM
Quote from: ohara on November 14, 2020, 05:37:11 PM

You're talking nonsense. as in you are talking nonsense. Please stop  ::) Your credibility was shot when you said Brennan was ranting. Results today prove he clearly wasn't.
[/quote]

High Fielder

I won't be going anywhere ohara. YOU'RE the one who has put a target on YOUR posts by trying to discredit an All Ireland winner. I'd rather not engage with someone who doesn't even know class when he sees it. YOU'RE clearly out of YOUR depth. The majority of people in Laois want Brennan to stay. Even YOUR CB buddies know it.

Apologies to all the genuine hurling people for sabotaging this thread with a childish argument. I've made my feelings known by now, and I hope Brennan gets to stay.

HURLING1

No apologies needed HF.
The passion you reflect for GAA in Laois is exactly how most of us feel and E Brennan knows we as a county can do so much better.  With a minute improvement we would have beaten Clare and with Wexford there for the taking today who knows.

clonadmad

Today's Clare result put it in sharp perspective,how close we actually are to becoming a top 6 team

Brennan sees it

The panel sees it

And so do most of the Laois gaa public

My wish for 2021

That Eddie commits and that every player that he deems fit to serve the cause of laois hurling does likewise.

ohara

I never said I wanted Brennan to leave....sorry if you got confused.

his thing with wooly was disrespectful...he should stay on and give up his "fee" to laois gaa maybe..but yep, seems good manager...again sorry you got confused and spoke nonsense

Quote from: High Fielder on November 14, 2020, 09:31:59 PM
I won't be going anywhere ohara. YOU'RE the one who has put a target on YOUR posts by trying to discredit an All Ireland winner. I'd rather not engage with someone who doesn't even know class when he sees it. YOU'RE clearly out of YOUR depth. The majority of people in Laois want Brennan to stay. Even YOUR CB buddies know it.

Apologies to all the genuine hurling people for sabotaging this thread with a childish argument. I've made my feelings known by now, and I hope Brennan gets to stay.

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on November 14, 2020, 10:08:17 PM
... and that every player that he deems fit to serve the cause of laois hurling does likewise.

Well that won't happen, anyway. And that, also, is part of the problem.
Mind you - Cheddar had pretty much everyone the time we beat Offaly, hadn't he?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: ohara on November 14, 2020, 09:14:43 PM
a genius....but his own club which has numbers rest of teams could only dream about, is a shambles at hurling

he was given job to find manager once for laois....cudnt get anyone and just took job himself.

no track record to speak of, has a bit of profile from woolys podcast, but has nice nickname so he must he answer.

on different matter I remember Parkinson boasting how he would get a lift to laois training from red cow, but still claim mileage even though he didnt drive.

grates me then listening to him giving out and mocking county board volunteers when you see type of character he is

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 14, 2020, 08:08:19 PM

I'm not going to even respond to your points re:cheddar..I think anyone with half a hurling brain knows the answer to your  points but for our CB someone might reply and clarify