Mayo v Donegal NFL Thread

Started by Farrandeelin, February 11, 2008, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 17, 2008, 04:04:39 PM
Jesus that one is going to be hard to recover from. Serious performance, dominated Donegal and leave with nothing. Fecking typical. Hope Mortimer was taken off injured because if he wasn't its a joke from O'Mahony.
Kilcoyne should have killed the ball too. Jesus don't know if its worth waiting up til 3am in Sydney to listen to this. Mayo God help us . . .
Serious trouble now in the league . . .

Thats true, but it has to be said that Mayo had several opportunities to clear their lines after that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Just saw the goal on the news there - fantastic finish from McGee!

Farrandeelin

Really annoyed with that defeat again (how many times has it happened? :-\). Mayo are in big trouble now and will have to fight very hard to stay in Division 1 for next year. Mayo were the best team but couldn't hang on for the 2 points at the end. Mayo played most of the football today but the 2 goals effectively won the game for Donegal. Padden was mighty at fb today in my opinion. He harried and hassled McFadden for everything. Higgins is some man for one man, scored 1-4 for the hurlers yesterday and popped up for a sweet point today as well. WE STILL STRUGGLE IN MIDFIELD without the Ballina contingent. Donegal won most of the kickouts today and if Ballina win next Sunday then it's going to be interesting to see how we cope in that department. It was a strange decision to take O'Malley off as he was doing well I thought. Andy Moran and Mortimer were on fire. Yet despite all those positives we still managed to lose. The pain of supporting Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

We've been sucker-punched plenty of times too Farrandeelin, so I sympathise. And, yes its a cliche, but its only the league - both counties made the final last year before collapsing in the championship.

muppet

That was a good performance, shame about the result. Given that there were about 7 Donegal players ahead of McGee and at least as many Mayo players when he took that shot it was incredible that it missed everyone.

BJP was great and battled as you would expect. Keith scored 2 I think, some pace and will stay in the HB line. The backs needs some more adjusting but I dont think the personnel will change that much. We were well beaten in the middle. Parsons made an impact when he came in but 2 loose passes at the end will give him a sleepless night. He will benefit from the experience.

I thought Gill did well and Alan Dillon won his battle. Conor Mort was on form but took an awful lot of punishment. Lacey was booked in error by the ref when it should have been a second yellow for the FB McGee. From a Donegal perspective other than Lacey they have a FB line that will not be good enough in the summer. Elsewhere Roper is just nasty nowdays and only stayed on the field because he was too small to send off but McFadden and Gallagher will be a nightmare for every team they play.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2008, 06:56:58 PM

I thought Gill did well and Alan Dillon won his battle. Conor Mort was on form but took an awful lot of punishment. Lacey was booked in error by the ref when it should have been a second yellow for the FB McGee. From a Donegal perspective other than Lacey they have a FB line that will not be good enough in the summer. Elsewhere Roper is just nasty nowdays and only stayed on the field because he was too small to send off but McFadden and Gallagher will be a nightmare for every team they play.

I heard a few minutes of the Highland coverage which coincided with Lacey's booking - Martin McHugh also reckoned that Neil McGee should have been booked instead, which would've seen him get the line, so we were very lucky in that respect.
As to the quality of our full-back line, we've lacked a commanding full-back ever since Matt Gallagher retired (some would even go back 20 years to Martin Griffin!), although Ray Sweeney did well for a season or two before McIver came in and showed that he didn't fancy him. I think Neil McGee is a good player, but he's not in Lacey's class, while McDaid has only played two games, doing well in his first one against Kerry. I don't know if Eamon McGee would be a tight-enough marker to put in a no. 3, but he's an option that McIver might have to try, as we're not exactly overladen with talent for that position.
Roper isn't going to change at this stage - along with his work ethic and bravery comes the temper, and I'd definitely agree that he gets away with things at times. I'm not sure that he will get a starting place this year when the likes of Kavanagh gets back after suspension, but he hung in there when out of favour in '06 and won his spot back last season, so you never know.
McFadden is talented, but he's maddenly inconsistent, the same as Devenney. He could be knocking over points from 45 metres out on the sideline one day, while the next he couldn't hit a barn door. He's big though, which means he's always going to compete well to win balls, so I'd definitely start him.

WJP11

See http://mayogaablog.com/ for a one-sided match report (with accompanying amateur video clips) from the match in McHale Park.  We wuz robbed!

J70

Quote from: WJP11 on February 18, 2008, 01:24:26 AM
See http://mayogaablog.com/ for a one-sided match report (with accompanying amateur video clips) from the match in McHale Park.  We wuz robbed!

Sounds like Donegal got an awful lot of soft frees while Mayo got nothing! :P

stephenite

Match is being shown on Setanta Oz tomorrow night @9pm

RedandGreenSniper

Is that Monday or Tuesday night you mean Stephenite? Might put myself through it, even though listening to it live was fairly tortuous . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

Sky Blue

I taped the match on TG4 and managed to avoid the result at work. Good enough game and what a finish from Donegal. Twice now they've stolen games in the last minute. A real killer blow for Mayo and they'll struggle to avoid relegation now. Donegal must have serious ambitions towards retaining the league after that result.

AZOffaly

I saw this game on TG4, without knowing the result, and it was a good game to watch as a neutral. Mayo looked very sharp at times, but they still have their failings in front of the goals. When I was watching the game towards the end, and that Mayo lad had the ball on the left (I can't remember his name) I was roaring at him to kill it dead, or pass it off. Instead he did the unforgiveable, lobbing a big lazy useless ball into the goalkeeper, who started the attack that ended with the Donegal goal. It's basic stuff, winning by 2 points, in injury time. Do not, ever, ever, ever kick the ball into the goalie's hands.

Great finish by the centre back though, and great patience by Donegal to work the opening at the end, even though Mayo had a couple of opportunities to win possession and couldn't do it.

Billy Joe Padden looked good in at full back. Will he start there in the summer?

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 18, 2008, 10:38:14 AM
Billy Joe Padden looked good in at full back. Will he start there in the summer?

Why not - if he's going well, poor lad has played at least twice in every position up the spine of that Mayo team and then some more. FF, Centrefield, CHB and now FB. I hope he gets the time to settle into it

rosnarun

QuoteThat was a good performance, shame about the result
who the feck do you think we are Leitrim?.
the day your happy about losing a 5 point lead to the likes of donegal is the day you give up. it was a disastorous day overall. the type i fearing when commenting last week.  Mayo have lost a handful of league games over the last 3 or 4 year esp in castlebar , to lose yesterdsy was just sloppy and caused by poor decision making under pressure.
BJP had a fine game but twice took short frees from the full back line when nallen had a long kick out lined up. both resulted in easy points.
Parsons has the making of a fine player but is far from ready yet .  a massive improvment on  o'shea, but despite getting to the pitch of the ball almost every time he failed to hold a single one. and dropped the Vital one to set up the final goal. how bad must barry Moran be playing ?
the forwards worked a dream but if we could instill a bit of greed for goals it could mak all the difference . they were walking through the fullback line but showed no interest.
best for mayo was Gardiner . he really is the driving force behind this team insuring a high tempo and a huge athlethism that must be an inspriaton to the whole panel.
But the elephant in the room was Mcfadden . a player who has shown in other games who loses interest when denied a few ball looked like an allstar yesterday. In other words imagine what a good player would do. any one see donaghy saturday , scary.
referee was a p***k for both sides yesterday al he seemed to care about was balls being picked off the ground seemed to be more frees for that yesterday than I saw all last year.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere