Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Will Corbyn have the guts to make a confirmatory referendum part of the deal / discussion ?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on April 02, 2019, 06:18:26 PM
Well that was clear as mud. Maybe with consensus with Corbyn the looney lefty, who lets not forget his a bigger Brexiteer than most Tories, they can get the withdrawal agreement passed. One thing which is clear is the withdrawal agreement is the only show in town.

That'll be some meeting.

"Hi Theresa. Nice to see you. Will you drop your red lines?"

"No Jeremy, I've told you this before."

"OK, bye".
i usse an speelchekor

lenny

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 02, 2019, 05:45:32 PM
Quote from: LCohen on April 02, 2019, 04:37:14 PM
Nothing would surprise me. May could address the nation tonight announcing a general election or a no deal Brexit
General Election would be very problematic for the Conservatives considering the just about got over the line last time, with some local help and that was before they ripped themselves apart. If anyone else was in charge of Labour they'd be a shoo in for a GE, but I'm not sure a GE will help. Nor do I think a second referendum helps as it would likely result in a Remain vote (65-35 if I was guessing). Best of three?

A 65-35 win for remain in a 2nd referendum would be extremely comprehensive and would end any brexit talk for a long time. It's getting to that point which is the problem because May has made the decision that everyone who voted for brexit was voting for it to curb immigration. She has always been anti immigration from her time as home secretary and like a lot of torys has strong racist tendencies. That's why she set the red lines she did. If she hadn't set those red lines brexit would've been sorted out many months ago.

imtommygunn

Also she has issues with the eu as she doesn't like the human rights for things like snooping charters etc.

screenexile

There's no way a second referendum is 65-35!!

For either side.

Harold Disgracey

This is a very obvious trap from May to try and shift the blame from the Tory's on to Corbyn and Labour.

Eamonnca1

Current polling has Remain at 54%.  Remain has been in the lead so far this year.

"The rise in support for Remain is mainly driven by those who did not vote in 2016, either because they abstained or were too young. Abstainers and new voters now heavily back Remain, and their numbers are growing steadily, with about three-quarters of a million new voters joining the electorate each year.

"Meanwhile, the concentration of Leave support among older voters puts Brexit campaigners on the wrong side of demographic change. There are other headwinds for Brexiters, too. Concern about immigration, a key driver of voting for Leave in 2016, has declined sharply since the referendum. And voters who were enthusiastic about Brexit in 2016 have become more negative about the deal the government has managed to negotiate."

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019/mar/30/how-do-brexit-voters-feel-about-the-eu-now

imtommygunn

Remain was leading the polls last time too :(

I really don't think a 2nd referendum is coming and if it does I would be worried about the result.

lenny

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 02, 2019, 08:39:41 PM
Current polling has Remain at 54%.  Remain has been in the lead so far this year.

"The rise in support for Remain is mainly driven by those who did not vote in 2016, either because they abstained or were too young. Abstainers and new voters now heavily back Remain, and their numbers are growing steadily, with about three-quarters of a million new voters joining the electorate each year.

"Meanwhile, the concentration of Leave support among older voters puts Brexit campaigners on the wrong side of demographic change. There are other headwinds for Brexiters, too. Concern about immigration, a key driver of voting for Leave in 2016, has declined sharply since the referendum. And voters who were enthusiastic about Brexit in 2016 have become more negative about the deal the government has managed to negotiate."

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019/mar/30/how-do-brexit-voters-feel-about-the-eu-now

Remain is at 55% in the last poll I saw but leave was at 35%. Rest undecided. What was interesting was that people generally hadn't changed their minds since the first referendum. What had changed was that lots of leave voters had passed away in the 3 years and the vast, vast majority of 15-17 year olds who couldn't vote the last time are all remain.

Sportacus

Have to laugh at Sinn Fein dishing out big press releases telling everyone the Withdrawal Agreement is not up for renegotiation, as if they have diddly say in it.

screenexile

4 Paras shooting at a picture of Jeremy Corbyn has jut put the tin hat on it . . . the Country is in bits!!!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: screenexile on April 03, 2019, 11:53:31 AM
4 Paras shooting at a picture of Jeremy Corbyn has jut put the tin hat on it . . . the Country is in bits!!!

If the paras are shooting at pictures of civilians rather than civilians themselves surely that's progress
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

RedHand88

Quote from: Sportacus on April 02, 2019, 10:17:03 PM
Have to laugh at Sinn Fein dishing out big press releases telling everyone the Withdrawal Agreement is not up for renegotiation, as if they have diddly say in it.

Martina Anderson's work in Brussels lobbying the EU negotiating team has been excellent.

Armamike

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 02, 2019, 08:23:47 PM
This is a very obvious trap from May to try and shift the blame from the Tory's on to Corbyn and Labour.

Maybe -she has treated Labour with contempt going back to her time as home secretary. But there's nowhere else for her to go. The ERG/DUP  won't give her enough votes.  Also, reaching out to Labour will help avoid another vote of no confidence from them.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

mouview