Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

High Fielder

Your theories are based on big counties awakening. You don't give two shites about small counties or their players. It's about time people realised that there's good footballers and hurlers in every county. Anything else is the Marty Squad and his ridiculous platitudes

thewobbler

Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 07:34:16 PM
How? And is it fair, year on year, to ask small counties to essentially play for nothing? If there was nobody watching, I'd rather anyone who wanted to play a sport had a chance of getting somewhere. This system is so badly designed that it negates that possibility. If I'm a good young soccer player, I can progress. Not in the GAA.

You just don't get it, do you?

The very reason why there is sufficient public interest to support the concept of high profile / elite Gaelic Games, is because the sport is ground into our communities.

It's got very little to f**k all to do with it being a "brilliant sport". If it was truly a brilliant sport it would have spread worldwide like soccer.

—-

Take away that community grounding, and the sport implodes.

Then it just won't be wee John from leitriim not getting to win hurling medals in televised matches from Croke Park. It'll be wee John from every county in Ireland.

irish345

i see intercounty as gaa equivalent of international soccer so be it

Sportacus

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2019, 06:40:43 PM
Look at Antrim beating Louth. The reaction was similar to winning the AI for Antrim. Another reason for a tiered championship as if it were needed.
Wrong. The buzz is because we won a game in the main event and are in the pot for the next round, excited about who we might get.  I can guarantee you that if we beat Louth in the first round of a 2nd tier competition there would be absolutely zero interest in it. 

imtommygunn

Quote from: Sportacus on June 10, 2019, 12:07:28 AM
Look at Antrim beating Louth. The reaction was similar to winning the AI for Antrim. Another reason for a tiered championship as if it were needed.
Wrong. The buzz is because we won a game in the main event and are in the pot for the next round, excited about who we might get.  I can guarantee you that if we beat Louth in the first round of a 2nd tier competition there would be absolutely zero interest in it.

No you can't.

trailer

Quote from: Sportacus on June 10, 2019, 12:07:28 AM

Antrim have zero interest anyway. About 500 turned up to the Tyrone game and that was in the Ulster championship. Where's all this interest that we're going to lose? Have you checked the attendance figures? How many Antrim supporters went to the Louth match? A funky ulsterbus glider could've took them down. Get real for christ sake.

Sportacus

JoG2

"GAA President John Horan has revealed that two different formats for a proposed tier two football championship will be put before Croke Park's Central Council before the end of June".

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0612/1054926-horan-cocktail-of-complexities-around-fixtures/

irish345

have a 32 team unseeded knockout any team  from 3rd or 4th division get knocked out in 1st or 2nd round they go into the secondary competition so you either get to an ireland quarter final or get to compete in b tournament 

BennyCake

Straight knockout for tier 2. Funny how they didn't suggest that for tier 1. But then again, there's that golden cow to be milked in tier 1.

Rossfan

Will the Tier 2 Trophy be called the "Benny Cake Cup"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

irish345

will 2 tiers appeal to casuals will casuals go on the lash because they won a b tournament will see mass celebrations in the county that wins

Owenmoresider

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2019, 02:52:29 PM
"GAA President John Horan has revealed that two different formats for a proposed tier two football championship will be put before Croke Park's Central Council before the end of June".

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0612/1054926-horan-cocktail-of-complexities-around-fixtures/
"One of them is a straight knock-out competition between the 16 teams; you'd have a first round, quarter-final, semi-final and final and the hope would be that the semi-finals would be played together in Croke Park and shown on television with the final played before one of the Super 8s games, again hopefully televised."

Really going out of his way to sell it to those who'll be packed off into it, yes if you manage to get to the final you'll be on before a group game in the big boys league, and maybe it might be on TV, or the Sunday Game might just show 90 seconds of highlights instead.

sligoman2

I would suggest they have the final before the super 8 with the winner automatically getting a spot in the super 8's or a playoff for entry to the 8's.  That would give enough encouragement to commit to and win the second tier.
They need to sweeten the pot a little in my opinion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.