Eoin Kelly(Waterford)

Started by The Claw, November 23, 2006, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roashter

All this in the same week that Brian Corcoran spelt out what the Cork players thought of their Waterford counterparts. Something along the lines of playing for themselves.....

theskull1

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 23, 2006, 01:51:31 PM
Maybe its just me, but I would hit a nother ball for that club manager if it was me. As a manager its fine and dandy to have rules/principles, but at that stage of the compo when it comes not to often, winning is what it as all about. Who gives a toss about ur principles. Bet any money the manager is history before the story finishes. 

Wrong Max. Principles is what it's ALL about. I don't want to comment too specifically about Eoin Kelly as I don't have all the details. But whenever a talented player is not demonstrating the right attitude and application in training yet is still getting picked it is like a cancer through a panel of players as the fringe players start thinking "whats the point in me busting my balls while that lazy b4st4ard keeps getting on". To me a good senior manager sets out what is expected of his players from the start of the year and then allows them to be adults and make their own decisions about the effort they are going to give. The ones you have to hand hold, are always the ones who let you down in the end. I do feel sorry for this type of player because they are normally the child protege who was given the bye ball too often at underage and as a result never quite understood the importance of everyone playing their part within a team.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Claw

I agree with sticking to your principles but you cannot just say to a group of lads what is going to happen, and let them deal with it themselves. Some poeple are always going to take it differently to others. It is important to understand and look after tempermental players, it is not an ideal situation but thats what has to be done to get the best out of players.

theskull1

Quote from: The Claw on November 23, 2006, 05:37:13 PM
It is important to understand and look after tempermental players, it is not an ideal situation but thats what has to be done to get the best out of players.

I agree to a point, but that becomes damaging in the end if you have to focus so much effort on them whilst neglecting the rest of the panels needs. (a bit like focusing all your time on your favourite child)

I think most of the important information a manger would lay out to his players should not be open to vast interpretation. Most players can see another player swinging the lead and when that happens a manager whould be dealing with this asap so that the rest of the panel see that the manager is on the ball and will not allow it to happen. If he tries to deal with it in as positive a way as possible and the player doesn't respond in the right way then the manager has no choice. He has tried to get the best out of that player but at the end of the day it is the player who really makes the managers decision for him.

I think these temperamental players should go to a physchiatrist rather than expect rest of us to "understand them" and let them away with things the rest of us wouldn't

The Claw

I agree to a point, but that becomes damaging in the end if you have to focus so much effort on them whilst neglecting the rest of the panels needs. (a bit like focusing all your time on your favourite child)
Unfotunately sometimes you have to pay more attention to some rather than others, although if it is to such an extend to damage the rest of the panel, so that they think young Micky is getting an easy ride and they end up losing respect for the managment, then yes, it shouldnt be done.BTW - surely you dont have a favourite child   :D

QuoteI think most of the important information a manger would lay out to his players should not be open to vast interpretation. Most players can see another player swinging the lead and when that happens a manager whould be dealing with this asap so that the rest of the panel see that the manager is on the ball and will not allow it to happen. If he tries to deal with it in as positive a way as possible and the player doesn't respond in the right way then the manager has no choice. He has tried to get the best out of that player but at the end of the day it is the player who really makes the managers decision for him.
Again I would half agree. SOme just wait for a little thing to have a strop over. However there are players who just want a bit of attention, maybe a phonecall to massage their ego, something to replace what was happening to them as a child protege like you said.

We're close on this one skull, and a reconsiliation may be closer than we think :D

theskull1

QuoteBTW - surely you dont have a favourite child   :D

sssshhhhh don't tell the rest of them :)

QuoteWe're close on this one skull, and a reconsiliation may be closer than we think :D

I'd agree.....although I hate it when debates end in agreement  :)