Eoin Kelly(Waterford)

Started by The Claw, November 23, 2006, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

I suppose we are all treating the rumours that he was quitting as crap? Twas in the Herald there on tuesday, citing the fact that mount sion did not bring him on despite being behind. He said 8 years with the club and 7 with the county and 'was it worth the hassle'.

full back

One of the reasons he was pis*sed off was because of rumours of his drinking habits. He said soemthing along the lines of going to the pub for a Lucozade abd then rumours started that he had a dozen pints

blasmere

From the Examiner

23 November 2006

Rift between Kelly and Mount Sion deepens as players back management

By John Murphy
THE split between Waterford All-star Eoin Kelly and Mount Sion bosses deepened last night with Kelly's fellow players coming out in support of their club management team.

Kelly has had a stormy relationship with the club this year after serving a three-month ban for being sent off in Waterford's NHL game against Offaly.

He was left out of the starting fifteen for the county semi-final against Stradbally and while he lined out for the final against arch rivals Ballygunner he was clearly unimpressed when substituted in the second half.

On Sunday he was omitted from the lineout for the Munster club championship semi-final against Toomevara.

Kelly travelled with the official party but sat out the game on the substitutes bench with team management refusing to introduce him even in the closing stages.

Kelly left seconds before the final whistle, stating subsequently in a newspaper article that he did so to avoid any kind of confrontation with team management. He has denied missing an important training session on the previous Sunday for anything other than work commitments, and insisted that he is now "fed up to the back teeth" with hurling.

Last night, Mount Sion senior captain Eoin McGrath issued a statement of support and backing for the manager and selectors on behalf of the players.

In the statement McGrath said that in response to the allegations made by Kelly in some newspapers earlier this week concerning his omission from the team last Sunday he wished on behalf of all the players to thank the manager (Paraic Fanning) and fellow selectors Kelly and Flynn for their dedication and total commitment to the team not just last Sunday but throughout the year.

"They stated from the start that teams would be selected on the basis of performance on the field, in matches, and in training as well as overall commitment. They stuck to their principles throughout and that was reflected in the team selection last Sunday," McGrath said.

"We lost our last big game of the year in conditions that always meant that the game would be decided on a bad break or a poor decision where either side was concerned."

The statement concludes: "As a manager and coach Paraic Fanning's record with our club and with WIT speaks for itself and he is held in the highest of esteem for his ability and integrity by all, including many top players in other counties who have played under him".

Cracking player, would be a shame to see him retire.

Maximus Marillius

Maybe its just me, but I would hit a nother ball for that club manager if it was me. As a manager its fine and dandy to have rules/principles, but at that stage of the compo when it comes not to often, winning is what it as all about. Who gives a toss about ur principles. Bet any money the manager is history before the story finishes.  

The Bottom Brick

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Spiritof98

Was upm in Armagh last year coachng, great lad, hope everything sorts itself out, shame to lose a quality player like that.

Incidently, if he refuses to play for Mount sion next year can he be selected to play with Waterford.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

The Claw

Once he is a member of a club I think he can be selected for the county.
I wonder is this an isolated incident or does this happen to him a lot. He seems very committed to me. A mark of a good manager is to be able to handle all types of players.

Mayo4Sam

If the fella doesn't show up for training should he be selected?
The manager has to take a stand.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lecale2

He needs to put the disappointment behind him and start to look forward to the coming sesson with Waterford. He's a talented young hurler that they can't aford to lose.

bottlethrower7

Kelly does this every year. He's tempermental and this sort of thing is par for the course with him. Good to see the club aren't going to back down this time.

Bud Wiser

Eoin said he left the dugout and went home before the match ended because if he hadn't he might have done something wrong.

(like giving the manager a kick up the hole which he deserved if he brought him to the game, put him sitting on the bencg to make a tool out of him if he had no intention of playing him)

Good hurlers are scarce enough without this type of regimental attitude.  I am not advocating that players should have no respect for managers but when you have giving as much as he has to hurling the divvy out of respect should cut both ways.

muppet

QuoteIf the fella doesn't show up for training should he be selected?
The manager has to take a stand.

The ideals of every below average player. 'If I keep making training I'll get a game, even though I am beyond useless'.

As for managers taking a stand, most losing managers refer to a row or taking a stand or various problems, winning managers get their best players on the field.

Don't know what the problem with Kelly is, he has a knack for courting trouble and there's no smoke etc....However he is a class act and for his club to cut him loose publically is hard to take. I wouldn't go back either.

As an aside Eoin fancy tranferring to a Mayo club?  ;D 
MWWSI 2017

dodo

Thought this was vaguely relevant to this, robbed from the memorable piece of commentry thread :

"Whenever a team loses, there's always a row at half time but when they win, it's an inspirational speech"-John O'Mahony.

Bogball XV

Can he transfer club now, even if the club try and stand in his way.  In fairness, if he can't even get on with his clubmates, he must be a little temperamental alright.  The manager has to be right in these situations (bar Van Basten and Van Nistelrooy sic), especally if the rest of the team agree with the management.

Frank The Tank

This guy Kelly needs to wise up. I could name a dozen County footballer Players in Ulster who suffer and had suffered with this type of slander their whole careers. Yes, it shouldn't happen. But it goes with the territory doesn't it??
If he is using that as an excuse for retiring, jasus god help us!
Manys a player have battled through career threatening injuries just to hit a sliothar or kick a ball again. If this is the basis for retirement, you must begin to question what kind of mentality this guy has, or will show, when waterford really need him next time on the field!