Gaa Memberships

Started by aidanmcg33, April 03, 2007, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 03, 2007, 09:45:18 PM
My own club take a serious approach to membership. If you don't pay you don't play. A couple of "enforcers" have been appointed for each code and they check the list of paid up members before each training session or match.  There's a lot of money involved for smaller clubs so it's worth pursuing..

Our membership goes up 50% after the 31st of March, so most members get their finger out and go chasing the registrar. Saves him a load of bother.

We've got the 'don't pay, don't play' rule as well which made life hard on the managers at times until the 50% rule was passed.

full back

Is there a rule in the GAA, that if you arent a member you cant play?
Is it something to do with insurance?

johnneycool

Quote from: full back on May 11, 2007, 11:30:12 AM
Is there a rule in the GAA, that if you arent a member you cant play?
Is it something to do with insurance?

There's a difference in being registered with central council and being a paid up member of a club. I think you have to be registered with central council before you're elligible to play but its really up to the clubs how they work the membership fees.

As for insurance, the clubs pay so much for each team they enter, it used to be £150 per adult team but that may have changed recently.

I think all friendles and tournaments have to be sanctioned by your county board for insurance reasons.

Lecale2

Does Ballygalget membership still cover all the the sticks you can break Johnnycool?

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 11, 2007, 11:50:15 AM
Does Ballygalget membership still cover all the the sticks you can break Johnnycool?

yes it does, but all playing members are expected to pay into home games even if they are playing.