Championship structures - the never ending saga?

Started by Rossfan, August 03, 2016, 11:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Need to go back to straight championship in senior and club football. Back door and Such shite has drawn out the senior calendar. Likewise the needless invention of group stages and convoluted back door in club scene is a load of bollix. Heard Parkinson say that club footballers need 3 championships matches a year not just 1. That's bollix. If your shite one is plenty. There's plenty of round robin group stages where a team loses all 3 matches. What the fcuk did 3 defeats achieve for these clubs that 1 wouldn't have. Tired of listening to gobshites on the radio and internet spouting the first inane notion that comes into their head.

Listening to the radio these days is akin to being committed to an asylum.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2016, 10:05:59 PM
Need to go back to straight championship in senior and club football. Back door and Such shite has drawn out the senior calendar. Likewise the needless invention of group stages and convoluted back door in club scene is a load of bollix. Heard Parkinson say that club footballers need 3 championships matches a year not just 1. That's bollix. If your shite one is plenty. There's plenty of round robin group stages where a team loses all 3 matches. What the fcuk did 3 defeats achieve for these clubs that 1 wouldn't have. Tired of listening to gobshites on the radio and internet spouting the first inane notion that comes into their head.

A team only improves by playing more games

You're daft

Zulu

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 22, 2016, 10:56:00 AM

You're daft

Improving players aside, what sport would survive in the modern sporting landscape with a knockout format? The GAA would be severely weakened in 10 or 15 years. Astonishing anyone could think like that now.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Zulu on October 22, 2016, 11:07:07 AM

You're daft

Improving players aside, what sport would survive in the modern sporting landscape with a knockout format? The GAA would be severely weakened in 10 or 15 years. Astonishing anyone could think like that now.
But we already have a  league based competition. Its called the National Football LEAGUE.
Maybe some effort should effort should be placed in increasing the importance and standing of the league, rather than trying to try and turn the championship in to another league.
I agree with Trillickman, a knockout format for the championship is by far the best senario.
Use the league standings to seed the championship if you have to or play rounds of qualifying to reach the last 16 , but the idea of a group stage at the QTR final stage is a nonsense, completely driven by the revenue that they think can be generated.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

There's only one suggestion of a new format on the table I.e the "Super 8s".
Central Council to discuss next month and if they agree it will go to Congress as a motion.
Hopefully they will put the tighter timescales for the Provincials as a separate motion so that can be voted through.
However I can see the Provincial Councils canvassing fiercely to stop it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on October 26, 2016, 12:54:59 PM
Central Council to discuss next month and if they agree it will go to Congress as a motion.
Hopefully they will put the tighter timescales for the Provincials as a separate motion so that can be voted through.

Why?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 26, 2016, 11:54:00 AM

You're daft

But we already have a  league based competition. Its called the National Football LEAGUE.
Maybe some effort should effort should be placed in increasing the importance and standing of the league, rather than trying to try and turn the championship in to another league.
I agree with Trillickman, a knockout format for the championship is by far the best senario.
Use the league standings to seed the championship if you have to or play rounds of qualifying to reach the last 16 , but the idea of a group stage at the QTR final stage is a nonsense, completely driven by the revenue that they think can be generated.

Yes but the league is not taken seriously and won't be unless it's linked to the championship as you say. I've long championed linking the league to the championship and dropping the provincials. If we do that then yes we can have a knockout championship but we can't if it's in the current system.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Zulu on October 26, 2016, 02:06:16 PM

You're daft

Yes but the league is not taken seriously and won't be unless it's linked to the championship as you say. I've long championed linking the league to the championship and dropping the provincials. If we do that then yes we can have a knockout championship but we can't if it's in the current system.
In the proposal, which it still feels like many haven't read, it is acknowledged that there is a desire to retain the provincial championships. This ties in with what the GPA said when they put forward their proposals last year.

It's all fair enough to keep making suggestions on this board about getting rid of the provincials and/or having a two/three tier system, but I think we need to accept that it isn't going to happen when they players (perhaps the most important stakeholder) do not want it.

The question I would ask is, do people think the new proposals are an improvement for everyone concerned compared to what we currently have?

I can't see how they aren't and they should be put through on that basis.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 26, 2016, 02:25:13 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 26, 2016, 02:06:16 PM

You're daft

In the proposal, which it still feels like many haven't read, it is acknowledged that there is a desire to retain the provincial championships. This ties in with what the GPA said when they put forward their proposals last year.

It's all fair enough to keep making suggestions on this board about getting rid of the provincials and/or having a two/three tier system, but I think we need to accept that it isn't going to happen when they players (perhaps the most important stakeholder) do not want it.

The question I would ask is, do people think the new proposals are an improvement for everyone concerned compared to what we currently have?

I can't see how they aren't and they should be put through on that basis.

Aspects of the proposals are (the compressed provincials, the shortening of the season and getting rid of replays.)
The pool stage at qtr final stage most certainly isn't though, and its a pity we cant et the rest of the changes with  out having to vote in something else that very few people want apart from those counting the money.

Esmarelda

Ok, but if it's an either or do you not think it's better?

In the case of the round robin, what exactly is your objection to it?

It's not something I'd have come up with but I don't see the harm in it. It gives the provincial winners a second chance should they lose their first game, it gives the viewing public more games between the better teams, it gives a bigger incentive to the lesser teams to make the quarter finals as they'll get a home game against one of the bigger teams.

People seem to be down on it because it'll raise money which seems to be a sin. I don't see how it is if it's not at the expense of something else.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 26, 2016, 02:55:35 PM

It's not something I'd have come up with but I don't see the harm in it. It gives the provincial winners a second chance should they lose their first game, it gives the viewing public more games between the better teams, it gives a bigger incentive to the lesser teams to make the quarter finals as they'll get a home game against one of the bigger teams.

People seem to be down on it because it'll raise money which seems to be a sin. I don't see how it is if it's not at the expense of something else.

What happens to club football during the period it takes to play these additional games at this stage?

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 26, 2016, 01:30:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 26, 2016, 12:54:59 PM

Why?

Power - we like to do things our way in our Province. E.g Ulster's 1 game per week and 2 weeks to the replay and so what if we fcuk up the Qualifiers A and B schedule. Connacht with its mad system of some teams playing 4 rounds and others 2.
No replays - shock horror! €€€€€€€€€

Esmarelda

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 26, 2016, 02:57:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 26, 2016, 02:55:35 PM

What happens to club football during the period it takes to play these additional games at this stage?
Well to answer your question, that's up to the individual counties, but to expand on it you need to look at the dates that the counties will be involved by using the new proposal as applied to the 2016 championship.
All 24 counties that don't reach the AIQF will be out of the AI series by the first week in July and free to play their club games from that date on. The four AIQFs that don't make the AISFs will be free from the last weekend of July.

So what the proposal does is improve the season for clubs. It doesn't make it perfect; the months of May and June will full of intercounty games and each county will either need to play reserve championships or league games without their county players like most have to do in the spring. Or even better, it gives a definite window for club players to go on holidays.

But it means that you won't have the farce we see now of a mad rush to get county championships played off in time so that the provincials don't need to be played in December.

Zulu

It's better than the current format and while the round robin has weaknesses it's better than what's there and doesn't make things worse for clubs as far as I can see. However,it's not the best system and we really should focus on that. It's better than what we have so on that basis I'd give it a go.