Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Delighted, the GAA would be very happy to have Dublin and Kerry and Kilkenny and Tipp in the AF every year because they don't give two squirts of pucks p**s about any other county.

OTF

Quote from: OTF on June 26, 2018, 12:00:55 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on June 26, 2018, 11:24:01 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 11:10:52 AM
Quote from: OTF on June 26, 2018, 11:04:19 AM
I'd give them some chance against the winners of Armagh and Clare and that would be a good measure of how far we've come and of the others IMO no chance
Hard to disagree. A lot depends on how we bounce back from Sunday. They're in the gym tonight, and out tomorrow night. I'd love a crack off either of the above two. Failing that, its a descending scale of Mayo-Tyrone-Monaghan, depending on venues, most likely Croke Park double headers inevitably.

As I have said before, we will not be drawn against the winners of Armagh and Clare. The GAA do not want us playIng in the Super 8s. They will draw us out against Mayo or Tyrone. FACT!!

Something that might happen in the future can not be fact, I like yourself have my suspicions.
I thought all along we were going to draw Kildare which can't still be ruled out I suppose.
Clare and Armagh are near our level,we performed poorly again Clare recently and for that reason it would give us some measure of how much we have come on.
I for one would not be looking forward to meeting Kerry in Portlaoise or anywhere else. Dublin at least had the decency to pull up when the game was won, no pulling up with them hungry f*****s.

Just in bucken case I hope to be wrong on the Kildare prediction 😯

Joeythelips

Is this accurate:
Each team will have a home game, an away game and a game at Croke Park. The first group will contain the Munster champions, Connacht champions, Ulster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in Round four), Leinster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in round four). The second group will be made up of the Ulster champions, Leinster champions, Munster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in Round four), Connacht runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in round four).

So Laois (or their victors will be in with Kerry, Galway & Fermanagh or their victors). The thoughts of getting to Super 8s is exciting even though Laois are probably a year off being at their best development wise under current management. Kerry and Galway would beat us badly I think and while we would do ok against Fermanagh, I don't think Fermanagh would beat many of the qualifiers, a bit like ourselves. I think it would be best for Laois not to draw Armagh, Im not saying we would definitely beat them but we certainly could. Better to get a Kildare, Tyrone or Monaghan and see where we stand after the Dublin game. If they can beat anyr of those then they deserve a place in SUper 8s without a doubt.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This is the way it works:

Super 8 Group One
Teams: Kerry, Galway, Fermanagh or Rd.4 qualifier, Laois or Rd.4 qualifier.

Phase 1 July 14/15
Kerry vs Galway @ Croke Park
Fermanagh/Rd.4 qualifier vs Laois/Rd.4 qualifier @ Croke Park

Phase 2 July 21/22
Fermanagh/Rd.4 qualifier vs Galway
Laois/Rd.4 qualifier vs Kerry

Phase 3 August 4/5
Kerry vs Fermanagh/Rd.4 qualifier
Galway vs Laois/Rd.4 qualifier

Super 8 Group Two
Teams: Donegal, Dublin, Cork or Rd.4 qualifier, Roscommon or Rd.4 qualifier.

Phase 1 July 14/15
Dublin vs Donegal @ Croke Park
Cork/Rd.4 qualifier vs Roscommon/Rd.4 qualifier @ Croke Park

Phase 2 July 21/22
Cork/Rd.4 qualifier vs Dublin
Roscommon/Rd.4 qualifier vs Donegal

Phase 3 August 4/5/6
Donegal vs Cork/Rd.4 qualifier
Dublin vs Roscommon/Rd.4 qualifier
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

Quote from: Joeythelips on July 01, 2018, 12:13:27 PM
Is this accurate:
Each team will have a home game, an away game and a game at Croke Park. The first group will contain the Munster champions, Connacht champions, Ulster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in Round four), Leinster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in round four). The second group will be made up of the Ulster champions, Leinster champions, Munster runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in Round four), Connacht runner-up (or qualifier team that beats them in round four).

So Laois (or their victors will be in with Kerry, Galway & Fermanagh or their victors). The thoughts of getting to Super 8s is exciting even though Laois are probably a year off being at their best development wise under current management. Kerry and Galway would beat us badly I think and while we would do ok against Fermanagh, I don't think Fermanagh would beat many of the qualifiers, a bit like ourselves. I think it would be best for Laois not to draw Armagh, Im not saying we would definitely beat them but we certainly could. Better to get a Kildare, Tyrone or Monaghan and see where we stand after the Dublin game. If they can beat anyr of those then they deserve a place in SUper 8s without a doubt.

Anyone but Kildare, we beat Armagh twice in 2016 probably not at their best at the time but would give us a good idea where we are.
On the other hand big hammering from any of the other 3 would tell us nothing.

Joeythelips

All-Ireland SFC Round 4 draw

Fermanagh v Kildare

Laois v Monaghan

Cork v Tyrone

Roscommon v Armagh

Well there it is, we are in against one of the better Div 1 sides. Huge ask for our lads to beat them but might give us a slightly better yard stick of how much progress we have made. Monaghan are a very strong experienced side who will be red hot favourites to beat Laois comfortably like they did with Leitrim and Waterford. Will it be in Portlaoise or whats the story? Laois certainly need every advantage we can get.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I'd imagine it would be in Navan, maybe a double header with Kildare and Fermanagh
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

Navan seems to be the most likely venue. Will have times and venues after lunch today!

Glad we didn't draw Kildare to be honest.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Joeythelips

Quote from: redsetanta on July 02, 2018, 09:23:33 AM
Navan seems to be the most likely venue. Will have times and venues after lunch today!

Glad we didn't draw Kildare to be honest.

Dont think we will beat either but would have preferred Kildare, their forwards are not as good as Monaghans imo. Also Kildare just played a huge energy sapping physical game in the sweltering heat at the weekend which will have taken its toll. Monaghan are all well rested and recovered from the Fermanagh game at this stage. If Laois are up for it we could be in for a decent game if its not one sided as Monaghan are not as defensive as most Ulster teams so let the opposition play.

The PRO

Didn't we beat Monaghan the last time we met them in a qualifier? Under McNulty? I know a lot has changed since. Not the worst draw though. Tyrone or Kildare would've been horrible.

Laoiseabu

When u say Monaghan fowards are better than kildares who are u talking about? Is Kieran Hughes the big full foward not injured?

straightred

Quote from: The PRO on July 02, 2018, 10:34:41 AM
Didn't we beat Monaghan the last time we met them in a qualifier? Under McNulty? I know a lot has changed since. Not the worst draw though. Tyrone or Kildare would've been horrible.

Laois are on the back of a big beating but they weren't expected to win that so morale shouldn't be low. Monaghan have had ideal preparation - 2 handy games and they now get Laois on a neutral ground. Laois don't set up defensively either - that will suit Monaghan. You'd expect the Div 1  team to win this

Joeythelips

Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 02, 2018, 10:53:56 AM
When u say Monaghan fowards are better than kildares who are u talking about? Is Kieran Hughes the big full foward not injured?

They have plenty of excellent footballers but I was thinking of Conor McManus who is one of the best forwards in the country in my opinion. I watched them against Tyrone and thought they were excellent but they do sometimes struggle against weaker opposition. Laois will be doing well not to ship another serious beating here.

High Fielder

It goes without saying that it's a big ask for us. Physically, Monaghan ask questions of you, and in that regard, we could be found wanting. I don't think there'll be a hangover from the last day, and we're still ahead of where we expected to be. So enjoy it, give it your best shot and play to win. That's all we can do, and even though I wouldn't be too expectant, I'd be hopeful we can do ourselves credit