Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 30, 2020, 08:55:58 AM
On current form MC curry starts ahead of sludden all day long. A big cull next year indeed Angelo, management team included. Maybe that's why mulgrew going backwards.

You win some you lose some. Last season the management team turned Cathal McShane into one of the top forwards in the country - a player a lot of people in the county were giving about for making the team. Similar story with Colm Cavanagh years ago. They also took a big gamble throwing McKenna in at 11 after a weeks training. Most people were disregarding him for this season.

Anyway all the best the management and players on Sunday - hopefully they do the business.

bigtogs

Quote from: GaelTheGael on October 29, 2020, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: referee on October 29, 2020, 06:08:44 PM
3 pomeroy men rs,rh 🎅,god spare us,one thing Tyrone don't need is giving away frees what FB and K MC G do constantly,HP is ok for an in-house game but that's it,ass like a limousine bull,conditions won't suit him either, I'll eat my whistle if any off the 3 off them have a good game
Give me Frank Burns and Kieran McGeary before Tiernan McCann, Michael McKernan or Conor Meyler anyday.

No questioning McGeary or Burns energy and effort but they are fouling machines, McGeary in Particular never seems to learn..

Doire Gael

Have to agree with Bigtogs- Kierns Mcgeary always seems to be walking the line with referees.

Angelo

Quote from: bigtogs on October 30, 2020, 11:03:10 AM
3 pomeroy men rs,rh 🎅,god spare us,one thing Tyrone don't need is giving away frees what FB and K MC G do constantly,HP is ok for an in-house game but that's it,ass like a limousine bull,conditions won't suit him either, I'll eat my whistle if any off the 3 off them have a good game
Give me Frank Burns and Kieran McGeary before Tiernan McCann, Michael McKernan or Conor Meyler anyday.

No questioning McGeary or Burns energy and effort but they are fouling machines, McGeary in Particular never seems to learn..

McGeary gets really hard done by referees. If you look back at the frees blown against him against Mayo last week, they were ridiculous. He seems to have acquired a reputation (unfairly) against him that referees are acting on. The sending off against Galway was very harsh when you see what players get away with week in, week out. Look at what Keegan did to Mattie Donnelly at the weekend without even being spoken to, McGeary was a split second off a genuine attempt at a shoulder and got the line, the second yellow against Donegal was for something he said to a very fussy referee that players probably normally get away with.

Burns on the other hand is just an extremely lazy tackler, he commits himself and will then start pulling and dragging if he gets left behind. McKernan is something similar in this regard.

I feel a degree of sympathy for McGeary as he's being singled out but playing on the edge with his aggression is part of what makes his game. I think he's actually a very technically good tackler, he always tries to move his body in the way rather than pulling and dragging but sometimes is a little over zealous in that regard. Players are really trying to target him now and if they get near him they will flop or grab his hand and pull him over so he needs to be more conscious of this and management also need to remind him of this.

Burns on the other hand is just pure laziness and a bit of petulance. He should have got the line against Donegal the other week when he was on a yellow and dragged a man down.

I think we lack a bit of cuteness in our tackling and fouling. One thing James Horan's Mayo are very good at is fouling players from the front, they did it all through the second half last week and the referee didn't pull it. It slows the momentum down where you are trying to play out from the back, it also causes turnovers and you don't have to worry about yellow cards when you're fouling the opposition on their own 21 yard line. Referees are much less likely to give frees to a defender coming out with the ball who is being fouled than a forward advancing on goal with the ball being fouled.

There were two occasions last week where both McNamee and McCann were overturned with the ball in Tyrone's final third, if the tackling committed on them had been the other way around there's not a hope the Tyrone defence would have been getting away with that tackling.

I don't think we are anywhere near as cute when it comes to playing the referees like Kerry, Dublin and Mayo are. The secret is that if you want players out there fouling you've got to do it in their half, it allows you to buy time to get your shape back, teams aren't punished for it with cards and you also get turnovers and scores for tackling that would be blown as a free at the opposite end. There's no dangers from frees in the opponents half.

Problem is that if Tyrone engage in it, it will then probably be highlighted as cynical Tyrone and every other team that engages in it will be dismissed.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on October 30, 2020, 12:48:51 PM

McGeary gets really hard done by referees. If you look back at the frees blown against him against Mayo last week, they were ridiculous. He seems to have acquired a reputation (unfairly) against him that referees are acting on. The sending off against Galway was very harsh when you see what players get away with week in, week out. Look at what Keegan did to Mattie Donnelly at the weekend without even being spoken to, McGeary was a split second off a genuine attempt at a shoulder and got the line, the second yellow against Donegal was for something he said to a very fussy referee that players probably normally get away with.

Burns on the other hand is just an extremely lazy tackler, he commits himself and will then start pulling and dragging if he gets left behind. McKernan is something similar in this regard.

I feel a degree of sympathy for McGeary as he's being singled out but playing on the edge with his aggression is part of what makes his game. I think he's actually a very technically good tackler, he always tries to move his body in the way rather than pulling and dragging but sometimes is a little over zealous in that regard. Players are really trying to target him now and if they get near him they will flop or grab his hand and pull him over so he needs to be more conscious of this and management also need to remind him of this.

Burns on the other hand is just pure laziness and a bit of petulance. He should have got the line against Donegal the other week when he was on a yellow and dragged a man down.

I think we lack a bit of cuteness in our tackling and fouling. One thing James Horan's Mayo are very good at is fouling players from the front, they did it all through the second half last week and the referee didn't pull it. It slows the momentum down where you are trying to play out from the back, it also causes turnovers and you don't have to worry about yellow cards when you're fouling the opposition on their own 21 yard line. Referees are much less likely to give frees to a defender coming out with the ball who is being fouled than a forward advancing on goal with the ball being fouled.

There were two occasions last week where both McNamee and McCann were overturned with the ball in Tyrone's final third, if the tackling committed on them had been the other way around there's not a hope the Tyrone defence would have been getting away with that tackling.

I don't think we are anywhere near as cute when it comes to playing the referees like Kerry, Dublin and Mayo are. The secret is that if you want players out there fouling you've got to do it in their half, it allows you to buy time to get your shape back, teams aren't punished for it with cards and you also get turnovers and scores for tackling that would be blown as a free at the opposite end. There's no dangers from frees in the opponents half.

Problem is that if Tyrone engage in it, it will then probably be highlighted as cynical Tyrone and every other team that engages in it will be dismissed.
Don't agree with this victims mentality at all.
Tyrone with Colm Cavanagh at sweeper were really good at not giving away frees in scoring areas.
Tackling recently has been much less controlled.
I think Kieran Mc Geary is an excellent footballer but his tackling makes it easy for refs to give frees.
Frank Burns is a poor tackler also

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on October 30, 2020, 01:03:40 PM

Don't agree with this victims mentality at all.
Tyrone with Colm Cavanagh at sweeper were really good at not giving away frees in scoring areas.
Tackling recently has been much less controlled.
I think Kieran Mc Geary is an excellent footballer but his tackling makes it easy for refs to give frees.
Frank Burns is a poor tackler also

Well you look at the tackling from both teams last Sunday and explain to me how some of the tackling on the Mayo forwards were not blown up as fouls.

There were at least two frees blown against McGeary that were nowhere near a free, the first was one where Coen reached back for McGeary's hand, grabbed it and pulled McGeary over as he fell. There was another one near the end where O'Donoghue just brushed past McGeary who had his hands spread wide and flopped to the ground, neither were frees - 2 points.

Then you had McNamee and McCann trying to run the ball out from the back while being pulled at and dragged and nothing given, both got overturned, frees were given - two more points.

I definitely think McGeary is getting a very raw deal from the match officials.

bigtogs

In my opinion McGeary bangs and slaps tackle the man and rarely tries to tackle the ball which the rule book say you need to do.....But he does some great work in the attacking area of the at times but out does it all by slapping and banging!!

Angelo

Quote from: bigtogs on October 30, 2020, 01:26:48 PM

In my opinion McGeary bangs and slaps tackle the man and rarely tries to tackle the ball which the rule book say you need to do.....But he does some great work in the attacking area of the at times but out does it all by slapping and banging!!

Look at this one from the weekend.

He put his arms out to shepherd Coen away, Coen grabs his arm and pulls him over with him and gets the free.

There was another one in the second half where he spreads his arms out and O'Donoghue runs into the arm across his chest, goes down holding the head and gets the free.

The first thing you are thought when you are told how to tackle is to spread you arms out, he was very hard done by on these occasions and it's just poor from a referee buying it.

Rawhide

Quote from: Angelo on October 30, 2020, 01:33:15 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on October 30, 2020, 01:26:48 PM

Look at this one from the weekend.

He put his arms out to shepherd Coen away, Coen grabs his arm and pulls him over with him and gets the free.

There was another one in the second half where he spreads his arms out and O'Donoghue runs into the arm across his chest, goes down holding the head and gets the free.

The first thing you are thought when you are told how to tackle is to spread you arms out, he was very hard done by on these occasions and it's just poor from a referee buying it.
Watched this game twice, feck all else to do these days lol :( Your right on both counts.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Angelo

I think it's the standard of refereeing in general.

I watched the Armagh Roscommon game there a couple of weeks ago. We all know Armagh are undisciplined in their tackling but some of the frees Gough was giving Roscommon were just beyond a joke. I'd be worried if I was an intercounty defender these days, I'd be afraid to make a tackle because some referees treat the game like it was netball, that if you lay a hand on a defender that doesn't get the ball it's a free and some teams are smart enough to play on a narrative and to play a referee and that's what I saw in that game.

What is incredibly frustrating for players is when a referee calls something up one end of the pitch and fails to be consistent down at the other.

There's always this narrative pushed about Ulster teams being cynical, aggressive and dirty and when you look across the board it's completely unfounded. You look at the treatment Peter Harte got against Kerry last year, under the referee's nose in an All Ireland semi final for 70 minutes and barely a dicky bird about it. You can guarantee if Tyrone blackguarded Clifford like that in the same game there would be uproar. That narrative will eventually play on referees.

McGeary has had an unfair reputation built about him when it comes to tackling and giving fouls away, for me he is probably the most technically proficient tackler in the Tyrone team. He can be a bit overzealous at times and needs to realise he can't win every ball but he's been very, very unfairly treated by match officials of late.

southtyronegael

Angelo, we reap what we sow with regards referees. The whole rte boycott and carry on this last 10 years has turned the gaa and by extension, referees against us. Think of all the big games in croke park this last decade and every 50/50 decision has went against us. Thing is, the other counties love to see us getting shit on as we are hated by most people at this stage.

southtyronegael

And another point, if we had spent less time on bloody zonal defensive crap then our players would know how to tackle and man mark. A few guys hid behind Colm cavanagh this last few years and now he is gone they finding the going tough

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 30, 2020, 02:10:12 PM
Angelo, we reap what we sow with regards referees. The whole rte boycott and carry on this last 10 years has turned the gaa and by extension, referees against us. Think of all the big games in croke park this last decade and every 50/50 decision has went against us. Thing is, the other counties love to see us getting shit on as we are hated by most people at this stage.

We reap what we sow?

In what way, because we don't play ball with a bunch of wankers at RTE? f**k them is what I say, I think we should be a lot more on the front foot in calling out the bias. I have to say Sean Cavanagh has been an absolute embarrassment to Tyrone since he has stepped into his media role.

Unfortunately I see it as a free state thing, we don't get a fair crack down there, won't or probably ever will. Armagh were at the top of their game too in the early 00s and were denigrated in a similar manner as a macho, thuggish team to run down their accomplishments. The southern narrative is that a northern team could never do it by playing fair or in the right style. That's exactly how they want it portrayed.

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 30, 2020, 02:14:57 PM
And another point, if we had spent less time on bloody zonal defensive crap then our players would know how to tackle and man mark. A few guys hid behind Colm cavanagh this last few years and now he is gone they finding the going tough

There is certainly truth to this. We look like a team currently caught between two stools and you can see that from the Donegal game where players were abdicating tracking runners through.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on October 30, 2020, 02:02:12 PM
I think it's the standard of refereeing in general.

I watched the Armagh Roscommon game there a couple of weeks ago. We all know Armagh are undisciplined in their tackling but some of the frees Gough was giving Roscommon were just beyond a joke. I'd be worried if I was an intercounty defender these days, I'd be afraid to make a tackle because some referees treat the game like it was netball, that if you lay a hand on a defender that doesn't get the ball it's a free and some teams are smart enough to play on a narrative and to play a referee and that's what I saw in that game.

What is incredibly frustrating for players is when a referee calls something up one end of the pitch and fails to be consistent down at the other.

There's always this narrative pushed about Ulster teams being cynical, aggressive and dirty and when you look across the board it's completely unfounded. You look at the treatment Peter Harte got against Kerry last year, under the referee's nose in an All Ireland semi final for 70 minutes and barely a dicky bird about it. You can guarantee if Tyrone blackguarded Clifford like that in the same game there would be uproar. That narrative will eventually play on referees.

McGeary has had an unfair reputation built about him when it comes to tackling and giving fouls away, for me he is probably the most technically proficient tackler in the Tyrone team. He can be a bit overzealous at times and needs to realise he can't win every ball but he's been very, very unfairly treated by match officials of late.
Just curious but why do you think referees have decided to be sore on mc Geary in particular if he is as you say our most technically proficient tackler.
I agree with bigtogs btw