Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on August 22, 2018, 04:50:19 PM
Sad state of affairs, what happens if they win the AI and the banquet is hosted by RTE etc will they not turn up speak to the cameras; supporters want to hear from the players and the management he is not punishing RTe but alot of GAA supporters are missing out here.

If he wasnt manager would the ban still be in place?

For the last effing time.... RTE are not the only media outlet to cover the football. I guarantee you teamtalkmag will likely have a hundred page pullout if we win the all Ireland filled with interviews and features. Don't worry Sweeper, I'll make sure there's one kept over for you.

That's not to mention Sky, Newstalk, Irish news, etc covering it.

Sweeper 123

Who am i kidding anyways, the Dubs will be doing all the interviews after the match

Dire Ear

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on August 22, 2018, 05:11:46 PM
Who am i kidding anyways, the Dubs will be doing all the interviews after the match
Sure whatever rocks yer boat, sweetcheeks!! ;D

Blowitupref

Jim Gavins interviews are not to be missed. What he said after the All Ireland semi final.

"Great to be in the All Ireland final, they don't come along very often"

I'm more convinced than ever that Mr Gavin is a robot that was manufactured in 2010 when getting to finals wasn't very often for Dublin..
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

So what the issue here, is Harte looking a proper apology from RTE for the Sketch (which he should have got) or for not giving Carty a job (which he should have no say in anyway) Did he give an apology to the woman in the McCusker character reference? He`s on shaky ground boycotting Rte for what happened, then on the other hand seemed to have no problem, giving a reference for a serious criminal offence which a man was jailed for.

RedHand88

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 22, 2018, 05:41:45 PM

Jim Gavins interviews are not to be missed. What he said after the All Ireland semi final.

"Great to be in the All Ireland final, they don't come along very often"

I'm more convinced than ever that Mr Gavin is a robot that was manufactured in 2010 when getting to finals wasn't very often for Dublin..

As Colm Cooper pointed out. They've been in 6 out of the last 8.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 22, 2018, 08:47:48 PM
So what the issue here, is Harte looking a proper apology from RTE for the Sketch (which he should have got) or for not giving Carty a job (which he should have no say in anyway) Did he give an apology to the woman in the McCusker character reference? He`s on shaky ground boycotting Rte for what happened, then on the other hand seemed to have no problem, giving a reference for a serious criminal offence which a man was jailed for.

Why are you bothered?

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 22, 2018, 06:47:31 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/comment-rte-statement-is-designed-to-inflict-maximum-damage-on-tyrone-ahead-of-all-ireland-final-37239439.html

That journo cannot have wrote that seriously, right? It reads like something from Waterford Whispers.

Cringy stuff.

Careful lads, the southerners are teaming up to get the nordies..

rrhf

Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 08:56:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 22, 2018, 08:47:48 PM
When the Gaelic games PlayStation game out the players didn't support it for their own reasons  it's hardly coming up 7 or 8 years later. RTE have consistently targeted and picked away at Tyrone Gaa and many  of its aspects as it has many other aspects of Gaa and indeed other teams. It continues to do so and that is their prerogative. It is also the prerogative of anyone to deprioritise their importance etc. I listen and hear the likes of some of rte paid employees how they are the national broadcaster and deserve a higher platform and respect than other media platforms. That type of output not only displays arrogance but insults the intelligence of freethinking Irish people. Go and prove that you are the best, innovate and be accurate! Rtes promotions of Gaelic games in my opinion restricts its growth and markets it at a lower level than other sports and the blindness of the gaa as a whole to this is remarkable.  In my opinion that respect has to be earned - accross the board it has failed to excite and earn my respect for many years now and just like other institutions the Irish people used to cow down to, it no longer holds that position and like all media and news corporations could probably end up privatised in the medium term. I watch Rtes coverage of sport as I watch Fox News. I form my own opinion as to what level it sits at. No more no less but backing them as more important than off the ball, joe.ie, the Irish times or sky - I will not. I am for a liberal Ireland with no hang ups and lessons from the past, rte like the church, like the politicians and like the paid top brass in the GAA earn their respect in the here and now and their plans for going the future and not on 30 years of up for the match and drunken banquets. Last year the coverage of the banquet featured young lads drunk and in high spirits making eejits of themselves and that jovial precious space after an all Ireland should not make for broadcasting in my opinion. Why do they not broadcast rugby banquets after matches?

Dire Ear

I have more respect for M Harte than I do for RTE on this

yellowcard

I'm totally with Mickey Harte on his stance that he has taken, I would just take issue with how Tyrone county board have allowed him to hijack the entire county's stance on allowing RTE media access to other members of the team and management. Harte does at least have plenty of interesting opinions to offer when he does speak even if I often don't always agree with them.

Jim Gavin does tend to get away with murder by the media when you consider how he answers some of the questions asked. He might argue that he has absolutely no obligation to give them anything other than a few cliched soundbites but God his press conferences are the most mundane, boring, robotic affairs you are likely to see. It is part of why this Dublin team are admired but never loved. All about the process and the next game and how (insert some random county who are Dublin's next cannon fodder) are a great side.

Everything appears to be so joyless, even the reaction to winning. I'm sure there are plenty of players in the Dublin setup who would be a lot more interesting if it wasn't for the constraints placed on them by team management. 

redhandefender

Everyone can have their views but the only people that matter are Tyrone people on this.

The vast majority couldn't care less about RTE. They provide an awful service in the north anyway (and in general if truth be told).

The new sports guy in sounds promising but they are light years behnd other mainstream channels.

Applesisapples

I hope Sky step in to the banquet if Tyrone by some miracle win.

rrhf

I would do a much bigger deal with sky or ppv increasing potential access and revenue give tg4 the magazine programmes clubs and ladies as a product and
Let them develop that.. there could be a strong arguement made that tg4 could cover delayed games in Irish commentary and that mightn't annoy sky too much as well. With more money I would reduce ticket prices to those who go to games so attendances will increase and if they want only give rte the banquet, up for the match and the Marty squad and the odd late late tribute show to the gaa on the consortium that pat kenny hosts it.let's Move on. Get a proper platform of magazine coverage through sky but for sky to flourish rte probably need to be cut out.