Cars from England

Started by tyrone girl, April 14, 2011, 03:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on July 03, 2017, 08:08:18 PM
Schoolteacher ffs, don't get Bomber started

ML is married to a school teacher so he knows we deserve our 8 weeks off  ;)

Helix

Just wondering with 2018 coming and people changing cars  if there's people going to North/England for motor. Looking for advice on people who've done before. Looking something along the lines or golf or Passat. A cheap diesel that's fairly reliable. Any advice greatly appreciated  ;D
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Itchy

Quote from: Helix on December 20, 2017, 01:21:11 PM
Just wondering with 2018 coming and people changing cars  if there's people going to North/England for motor. Looking for advice on people who've done before. Looking something along the lines or golf or Passat. A cheap diesel that's fairly reliable. Any advice greatly appreciated  ;D

My advice is to do it  but bring a mechanic with you. In my opinion you would be better going to a dealer in Britain rather than going up north, better prices.

Most 2nd hand diesels in the republic made their way from the UK anyway so even if you go local you probably will get a UK car.

T Fearon

Thought the Cars were an American Band?

magpie seanie

The advice here is good. I'll share my recent experience to add to it.

Recently bought and brought in an Insignia 2.0l diesel from England. Prices are much better that NI. I have a former work colleague who is English and worked in the motor trade and has brought in numerous cars for people. Between us we worked out what was in my price range and went through the car sale websites to identify potential targets. When we settled on one he made the calls and did the Experian check (very important) and did the deal. The first car we liked was close to agreeing the deal but the check showed up a loan outstanding on the car. The dealer said he'd take care of the loan after the sale but I was advised to walk away and I did. The car I eventually got had pretty low mileage and I'm very happy with it. My friend went over to collect it (I couldn't go that weekend). He rang me after he checked it over and said he was happy to go ahead (could have backed out that time if there was anything worrying....would only have lost deposit).

All told including his travel costs, a small admin fee and the VRT I'm pretty sure I saved about €2,000 and it's a nicer spec car than what you'd get here in the ROI. Plus I've a 1 year warranty that's applicable over here.

Just be careful but there is decent value to be had.

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2017, 04:16:03 PM
The advice here is good. I'll share my recent experience to add to it.

Recently bought and brought in an Insignia 2.0l diesel from England. Prices are much better that NI. I have a former work colleague who is English and worked in the motor trade and has brought in numerous cars for people. Between us we worked out what was in my price range and went through the car sale websites to identify potential targets. When we settled on one he made the calls and did the Experian check (very important) and did the deal. The first car we liked was close to agreeing the deal but the check showed up a loan outstanding on the car. The dealer said he'd take care of the loan after the sale but I was advised to walk away and I did. The car I eventually got had pretty low mileage and I'm very happy with it. My friend went over to collect it (I couldn't go that weekend). He rang me after he checked it over and said he was happy to go ahead (could have backed out that time if there was anything worrying....would only have lost deposit).

All told including his travel costs, a small admin fee and the VRT I'm pretty sure I saved about €2,000 and it's a nicer spec car than what you'd get here in the ROI. Plus I've a 1 year warranty that's applicable over here.

Just be careful but there is decent value to be had.

Yeah, definitely better value in England compared to NI. If you don't have someone to come with you, RAC or Dekra or others will do a mechanical check for you for ~€250. Well worth it. Obviously only do this after you've done the finance /write off check mentioned above. If you go ahead and buy the car, it's crucial that you verify the VIN on the car you receive against the one that was inspected.

I've bought 3 cars over there and all have worked out well but be aware that you have little enough comeback because of the distance involved (unless it's a manufacturer's warranty as above). I negotiated on price before I went over as I  figured that once I'm over there, I have very little bargaining power. The garage should be able to collect you from the nearest airport or depending on distance, train station.

Good luck with it

Itchy

have a look here

www.cargiant.co.uk

You can fly to Luton or stanstead and get there early, get on the road in the evening and drive to Hollyhead. Advantage is they often have a few cars in the same model, disadvantage you dont get a great test drive with them. Most of their cars are ex fleet so well serviced.

Helix

Bumping this back up as hoping to change car in summer. Currently in process of moving back home to Laois and have about 140 mile commute mon-Friday. Querying whether anyone has bought new seat Leon's from 131 upwards versus VW golf. Price range around the 10k mark. Any advice greatly appreciated looking for a fairly reliable thing as have a wedding to pay for too  ::)
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Dire Ear

Quote from: Helix on March 20, 2018, 08:10:49 PM
Bumping this back up as hoping to change car in summer. Currently in process of moving back home to Laois and have about 140 mile commute mon-Friday. Querying whether anyone has bought new seat Leon's from 131 upwards versus VW golf. Price range around the 10k mark. Any advice greatly appreciated looking for a fairly reliable thing as have a wedding to pay for too  ::)
Good luck with both,  bought a car last year from North West of England,  great value,  compared to the occupied 6!

laoislad

Lucky you. I've been trying to convince my wife to do the same thing for years to no avail..!
On the car though.Have you considered an Octavia?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 21, 2018, 09:50:44 AM
Good luck with both,  bought a car last year from North West of England,  great value,  compared to the occupied 6!
Just looking at cars on Autotrader and far better value in England for the same yoke. Unfortunately the ones I liked were well down into England. Are there specific trade sites you were looking at?

Dire Ear

Believe it or not, it was Ebay.  Got the regs checked before I went

David McKeown

I bought an A4 in August 2015. Saved about 4K getting it in England even when transporting it home was factored in. Took a small risk as didn't get to test drive it first but was an Audi approved car so not that much. Wife then got a Golf from Scotland in December 2015 and saved 6k over the equivalent motor in Belfast.

I thought I'd do the same in the last week but noticed very very little difference between here and England. I've looked at the following and see little difference 5 series estate, a6 avant, a7 Quattro . E220d Estate. So I don't know now whether the difference has become much smaller or if it's the type of car I'm now looking for.

I'm also noticing that I get offered 500-800 more for my car over here than o do when I speak to garages across the water which is something to consider.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

FermGael

Need a bit of advice.
Looking at a VW Passat 2016 estate.  1.6 TDI and 120bhp.
Car has just over 100000 motorway miles .
Fleet car and has been serviced regularly with all the stamps, etc.

Nearly a £4000 grand saving on the car compared to the same car in a showroom here.
I know people that have bought of this fella before and reports are good.

My only concern is the 1.6TDI.  Use to driving a 1.9 . 
Would there be enough power for overtaking, etc ?

Anyone have any experience of driving that make of car ?
Thanks

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

trueblue1234

Quote from: FermGael on November 29, 2018, 12:01:13 PM
Need a bit of advice.
Looking at a VW Passat 2016 estate.  1.6 TDI and 120bhp.
Car has just over 100000 motorway miles .
Fleet car and has been serviced regularly with all the stamps, etc.

Nearly a £4000 grand saving on the car compared to the same car in a showroom here.
I know people that have bought of this fella before and reports are good.

My only concern is the 1.6TDI.  Use to driving a 1.9 . 
Would there be enough power for overtaking, etc ?

Anyone have any experience of driving that make of car ?
Thanks
Not sure about the Passat but both me and the wife had Mondeos in the past and mine was a 2.0 and her's was a 1.6. There was a very noticeable difference especially when you forgot which one you were in and went to over take. Just slower delivery. But there was a difference in BHP as well obviously. Once you get used to it, it was fine, but few hairy moments at the start. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit