Limerick v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds. 9/6/18.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 06, 2018, 02:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 11, 2018, 11:36:02 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 11, 2018, 11:30:56 PM
Put it this way, OConnor has definitely proven himself more often throughout the years but if I had to pick a team for the Summer I'd take Comer over him (provided we had someone to take the frees)

Sure we'll just let McLoughlin and Doherty take the frees, that always goes well...

Not a criticism, just a genuine question. Why is McLoughlin even let near the frees? It's clear he doesn't want to take them and it only saps his confidence. Would it not be better let O'Connor take all the frees
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 11, 2018, 11:44:34 PM
Put it this way, OConnor has definitely proven himself more often throughout the years but if I had to pick a team for the Summer I'd take Comer over him (provided we had someone to take the frees)

Sure we'll just let McLoughlin and Doherty take the frees, that always goes well...

Not a criticism, just a genuine question. Why is McLoughlin even let near the frees? It's clear he doesn't want to take them and it only saps his confidence. Would it not be better let O'Connor take all the frees

Ask SR. He's the only man who knows.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Wildweasel74

Comer/OConnor@ wouldnt get a spot in front of a full forward line of McBreaty; Murphy and McManus up north!!

MayoBuck

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 11, 2018, 11:44:34 PM

That would be my thinking too.

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2018, 11:47:05 PM
Comer/OConnor@ wouldnt get a spot in front of a full forward line of McBreaty; Murphy and McManus up north!!

Murphy of a few years ago maybe re:Comer. Galway's style doesn't let him utilise his talents to their fullest extent but he is essentially a faster, stronger version of Murphy at his peak.

Wildweasel74

He aint stronger than Murphy; likely faster though! Murphy beem assive for Donegal in the championship this yeat even though he openly man marked the entire game! Donegal starting to show serious form and i have them ahead of Kerry and Galway to rattle the dubs this year

oliverkelly

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2018, 12:04:15 AM
He aint stronger than Murphy; likely faster though! Murphy beem assive for Donegal in the championship this yeat even though he openly man marked the entire game! Donegal starting to show serious form and i have them ahead of Kerry and Galway to rattle the dubs this year

Based on what? they beat three shite teams. Their league form was shite and although they seem to be playing better now they have played nothing but dirt so far and it will be the same in the Ulster final

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 11, 2018, 10:19:06 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on June 11, 2018, 09:48:50 PM
I don't understand the criticism Cillian gets. Even within county I know a few people who think Alan Freeman is a better forward than him. So what if he's not that fast? Are Andy Moran/Gooch/Geaney/McManus that quick?

People seem to latch on to any poor game he has and hold it over him forever. McManus was scoreless from play against Monaghan but nobody questions him. Likewise Gooch was poor against Dublin in 15 and 16. Cillian scored 3 from play in the final last year, yet the begrudgers will say he missed a free at the end so it doesn't matter. Andy and Jason Doherty didn't score in the 2nd half of that game but nobody questions their performances.

Andy Moran is 34 years of age and Jason Doherty is great player for work rate etc isn't exactly a top class kicker. Dean Rock would've kicked it. Dean Rock is a marquee forward.
I've a strong dislike of Cillian, but I've often defended his abilities.

I don't think you could put him behind Rock. They're around equal overall. Both usually 85%-90% on frees, the two most proven in the country in high pressure games. But they will both miss the odd one, that's not down to ability or bottle, that's just because they are not robots.

It is fair to say Rock has moved ahead in pure freetaking over the past year. Rock also used to be a complete pushover, but has added some steel to his game and is capable of getting in his retaliation first. O'Connor of course is a complete nuisance to play against! There have been big games where Cillian has carried the Mayo forward line, if he's not in the top 2 or 3 Mayo forwards, then he's had a bad game. I'm not sure Rock could do for Mayo what O'Connor has done for Mayo.

O'Connor probably does need to reign in the crankiness just a little bit, but still think Mayo are lucky to have him. A lad who never hides, who will always take on responsibility no matter what has happened beforehand. 

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2018, 09:10:36 AM
I don't understand the criticism Cillian gets. Even within county I know a few people who think Alan Freeman is a better forward than him. So what if he's not that fast? Are Andy Moran/Gooch/Geaney/McManus that quick?

People seem to latch on to any poor game he has and hold it over him forever. McManus was scoreless from play against Monaghan but nobody questions him. Likewise Gooch was poor against Dublin in 15 and 16. Cillian scored 3 from play in the final last year, yet the begrudgers will say he missed a free at the end so it doesn't matter. Andy and Jason Doherty didn't score in the 2nd half of that game but nobody questions their performances.

Andy Moran is 34 years of age and Jason Doherty is great player for work rate etc isn't exactly a top class kicker. Dean Rock would've kicked it. Dean Rock is a marquee forward.

I don't think you could put him behind Rock. They're around equal overall. Both usually 85%-90% on frees, the two most proven in the country in high pressure games. But they will both miss the odd one, that's not down to ability or bottle, that's just because they are not robots.

It is fair to say Rock has moved ahead in pure freetaking over the past year. Rock also used to be a complete pushover, but has added some steel to his game and is capable of getting in his retaliation first. O'Connor of course is a complete nuisance to play against! There have been big games where Cillian has carried the Mayo forward line, if he's not in the top 2 or 3 Mayo forwards, then he's had a bad game. I'm not sure Rock could do for Mayo what O'Connor has done for Mayo.

O'Connor probably does need to reign in the crankiness just a little bit, but still think Mayo are lucky to have him. A lad who never hides, who will always take on responsibility no matter what has happened beforehand.

I'm probably just being overly harsh because honestly I don't like him. Around the time we drew with Dublin in the semi-final (2015?) and he kicked 9 frees I wouldn't have dropped him for anyone, even just on free taking alone. I feel like he's dropped off a bit in the last while but that's just on memory alone so I could be wrong, I don't have stats or anything to back it up.

joemamas

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 12, 2018, 09:38:24 AM

I'm probably just being overly harsh because honestly I don't like him. Around the time we drew with Dublin in the semi-final (2015?) and he kicked 9 frees I wouldn't have dropped him for anyone, even just on free taking alone. I feel like he's dropped off a bit in the last while but that's just on memory alone so I could be wrong, I don't have stats or anything to back it up.

Time to stop the bullsh*t, it is bad enough people outside of Mayo knocking him.
As for his contribution to Mayo, Immeasurable in my opinion.
Think all-Ireland final drawn game and equalizing point, It was the actions of a leader.
some of his points in last years final the same. Imagine, if he was on a team that had two or three natural young forwards, who would deflect some of the attention away from him.

Syferus

Just have the guts to call dirt what it is and don't be dressing it up in fanciful words. Same goes for COC's defenders. The unwillingness to meaningfully criticise the golden goose just because he's yours is one of the silliest parts of the GAA mentality.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: joemamas on June 12, 2018, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 12, 2018, 09:38:24 AM

Time to stop the bullsh*t, it is bad enough people outside of Mayo knocking him.
As for his contribution to Mayo, Immeasurable in my opinion.
Think all-Ireland final drawn game and equalizing point, It was the actions of a leader.
some of his points in last years final the same. Imagine, if he was on a team that had two or three natural young forwards, who would deflect some of the attention away from him.

Well said. Not sure Mayo4Sam14 recognises Cillian's contribution to the Mayo cause.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JoG2

Mr Mayo, a great footballing mind.  'provided....'  ;D

Maroon Manc

COC will continue to split opinion, for obvious reasons he's one of the least likeable players on the pitch. I've given him stick for his scores from play in AI semi's and finals but he had a better year last year scoring 0-7 from play in the 3 games against Kerry & Dublin.

It looks like his freetaking isn't as accurate as it was 3 years ago either and he's hardly the most dynamic forward but his record is very impressive.

If you were picking the best 5 or 6 forwards in the country would he be included?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2018, 01:01:31 PM
COC will continue to split opinion, for obvious reasons he's one of the least likeable players on the pitch. I've given him stick for his scores from play in AI semi's and finals but he had a better year last year scoring 0-7 from play in the 3 games against Kerry & Dublin.

It looks like his freetaking isn't as accurate as it was 3 years ago either and he's hardly the most dynamic forward but his record is very impressive.

If you were picking the best 5 or 6 forwards in the country would he be included?

That's what I was getting at, and no he wouldn't be for me.

Kilkenny O'Callaghan Connolly
Rock         Comer       Geaney

Those 6 for me. Special mention also McBrearty, McManus.