The Ched Evans Thread

Started by Franko, November 19, 2014, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corner Forward

Quote from: moysider on October 17, 2016, 12:51:57 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 16, 2016, 09:41:57 PM
What's happening with the girl online(being widely named, abused & threatened) now is appalling. I wonder if the idiots who are doing it even realise that she never accused Evans of anything.

My take on it is that she never claimed that she was raped. She suspected that her drink was spiked?
Whoever decided this should go to court should be hauled over but of course that wont happen.
Evan's now has a case for defamation of character, wrongful imprisonment and loss of earnings as a result. He'd be a fool not to pursue that.

Yes but had she not felt she was raped she could have stood up in court and said that. She didn't because she believed she had been raped. She has been let down badly by the CPS here.

general_lee

Quote from: Syferus on October 17, 2016, 02:34:43 AM
Horrible behaviour by Evans supporters. Victim getting it from all the usual dregs and even people who had the good sense to speak out against Evans like Jessica Ennis getting the same.

At least this whole episode might make a few of the people prone to predatory behaviour think twice. They all don't have a few million around to lawyer up like Evans and try to fight against common sense.
The good sense? This is one of the most blurred criminal cases I've ever heard of. Even after the original conviction I wasn't 100% sure he was guilty and after that was quashed and he is found not guilty he is still somehow public enemy number 1. i agree though some people might think twice, especially about going out and getting shit face when you're prone to black outs after a binge

nrico2006

I see some papers writing at the weekend that Evans is guilty of being a sleazebag etc, and how he should offer the woman some of the compensation when he gets it - really?  He is the one who has had his career ruined and ended up doing a full jail stretch because of this false allegation.

As for Jessica Ennis, she was quick enough to hop on the band wagon before about Evans but I doubt she will be as quick to apologise.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ludermor

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 17, 2016, 11:48:42 AM
I see some papers writing at the weekend that Evans is guilty of being a sleazebag etc, and how he should offer the woman some of the compensation when he gets it - really?  He is the one who has had his career ruined and ended up doing a full jail stretch because of this false allegation.

As for Jessica Ennis, she was quick enough to hop on the band wagon before about Evans but I doubt she will be as quick to apologise.
This is what Ennis said at the time 'I believe being a role model to young people is a huge honour and those in positions of influence in communities should respect the role they play in young people's lives and set a good example.

"If Evans was to be re-signed by the club it would completely contradict these beliefs."

The fact he has had the conviction overturned doesnt really change what she said.

square_ball

imtommygunn

I follow that sun apologies on twitter. The hypocrisy of the sun is ridiculous. It's as obvious as that front page.

grounded

Quote from: ludermor on October 18, 2016, 02:09:07 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 17, 2016, 11:48:42 AM

This is what Ennis said at the time 'I believe being a role model to young people is a huge honour and those in positions of influence in communities should respect the role they play in young people's lives and set a good example.

"If Evans was to be re-signed by the club it would completely contradict these beliefs."

The fact he has had the conviction overturned doesnt really change what she said.

I think this all happened when he was released on licence having been convicted of rape and Sheffield utd had offered to let him train with them.  I think truth be told , it was the fact that he was a convicted rapist (rather than his scummy behaviour )that led to Ennis, Webster and others withdrawing their support from the club and eventually leading to the club withdrawing their offer to evans. 
         I think in light of his not guilty verdict, those that withdrew their support should clarify their position. It might just be that Ennis-Hill thinks his actions were still reprehensible and her actions were justified and that's fair enough. However given what info was freely available in the public arena regarding player behaviour, why did she let her name go on the stand in the first place?

grounded

Anyway the entire thing is one giant shit episode.  Everyone lost. Although he is free now, being a convicted rapist will hang over him and his family for the rest of his life. The girl's life is also ruined being hounded by sick arseholes.

moysider

Quote from: grounded on October 18, 2016, 11:35:11 PM
Anyway the entire thing is one giant shit episode.  Everyone lost. Although he is free now, being a convicted rapist will hang over him and his family for the rest of his life. The girl's life is also ruined being hounded by sick arseholes.

It basically comes down to poor decision making. That girl and Evans made poor decisions. The worst decision was bringing this to court. It was too grey from the start. This case will put off women that have solid grounds for proceeding with a complaint.

David McKeown

Claiming damages for wrongful conviction etc would likely be extremely difficult for Evans. It's not simply enough that he was acquitted on a retrial. He would either have to show bad faith by the original court (which he can't) or show the true evidence was such that it could never have resulted in a conviction.

It has gotten easier in recent years to claim compensation but it's still very difficult and potentially very embarrassing if you try and fail. I wouldn't expect Evans to apply.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Asal Mor