Nepotism in GAA

Started by full moon, March 18, 2010, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Anyone else come against this problem besides myself ? I find it disgraceful when daddies just take over a team and play their son every match where he wants regardless of performance.

This is at minor level. We have lost nearly every game so far with embarrassing performances yet still these relations of the selectors play every match even when it is obvious to all they have no place out there.

My story goes: I'm a decent player in my last year of minor football. 2 years ago I played every single game and in general played well. This year a new manager and team of selectors have come in and made sure their sons play each match. The 3 worst players on the team all have their fathers as selectors. All 3 have been dire in every game so far and all the rest of the lads know this.

The other embarrassing thing is that they are all younger than me, 16, even 15 years of age. I know this is sounding bitter but in all honesty 2 years ago the team was up there with the best around. Now we are bottom of the table scraping only 1 win. I have been told by people around the club that I should be playing ahead of player X and Y. This adds to the frustration.

The worst thing is you are sitting on the bench not knowing who to cheer for. You want your friends to win, but you also want these idiotic selectors to be proven wrong and to get even 10 minutes as a sub.

I'm sorry to say I'm contemplating giving up football completely. I love it but I'm at that age now where these decisions have to be made. If you are struggling to get on in your last year of minor there isn't much of a future for you. It will also save the embarrassment of not getting playing.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Feeling so depressed right now... :(

Dougal

big problem in alot of clubs,not so much in ours.never had that problem so dont have any advice,but dont give up.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

It happens at every level full moon.
If you're in your last year of minor football,im guessing you're probably going to college/or maybe in college already,play with the college if so,id not make any snap decisions that might cost you a year or two at a critical development stage in your career over a choice you would regret.
If it persists like this into Senior level with the club,
Seek a transfer.
Theres plenty of clubs in need of players.
Who knows where you will be working/living in 3/4 years?

T Fearon

Simple advice: Get your da installed as team manager ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Simple advice: Get your da installed as team manager ;D
Thats useful advice right there by the board troll.

haranguerer

17 and knowing the meaning of nepotism - sounds to me like you're too much into the books to be taken seriously: chances are they think you're either a pansy or a smartarse, probably both  ;)

T Fearon

Is there any possibility that the initiator of this thread may in fact be crap and is using the excuse of nepotism to mask the real reason for his non selection.

There are many lads, at many levels in all clubs who think, in their own mind, that they are Jack O'Shea, but no one else does. I used to work with a guy who barely could claim a spot in his own club side, yet he genuinely carried a life long grievance that the Armagh selectors were blatantly disregarding his talent.

heineken_on_tap

It happens alright fullmoon, I have seen some bizzare selections at our own local club and in all honesty nepotism could be the only reason for it. The first thing I would say to you is don't give up playing over it, you will regret it in time.

If I was you I would have a quiet word with the manager to find out exactly why you are not being selected maybe it is something to do with your attitude/attendance for training etc. Best to find out and in the meantime keep training hard.

Banana Man

As heineken says full moon maybe try and take one of the selectors to the side and ask what you are doing wrong

but don't just go for the nuclear option, you don't want to be sitting at 40 years of age regretting having not given yourself a fair shot

If it's any consolation it happens in every club in every county in Ireland IMO. Even when you get an outside manager in you have the local scribes in his ear before he's out of the motor at training!

southsidejohnny

Ill tell you what to do and it will stand you forever, indeed the rest of your squad will actually back you up when you say it. Tell the selectors or senior manager  what you think of them, tell them that the whole parish knows whats going on. Tell the manager or selector of the worst kid on  your team about how brutal his son is. Dont let it fester and its your last year. Thats what has f***d this country, we put up with gombeen Fianna Failers, County councillors and GAA diehards who between them are as cute as foxes but as thick as baled dung. By the way any Fine Gael or Labour followers who are smirking, your lot arent even cute enough to expose the spoofers. Go for it....when its over you will feel great. Most clubs have yokes like that and are the talk of the club. Expose them...now

haranguerer

Quote from: southsidejohnny on March 18, 2010, 03:53:40 PM
Ill tell you what to do and it will stand you forever, indeed the rest of your squad will actually back you up when you say it. Tell the selectors or senior manager  what you think of them, tell them that the whole parish knows whats going on. Tell the manager or selector of the worst kid on  your team about how brutal his son is. Dont let it fester and its your last year. Thats what has f***d this country, we put up with gombeen Fianna Failers, County councillors and GAA diehards who between them are as cute as foxes but as thick as baled dung. By the way any Fine Gael or Labour followers who are smirking, your lot arent even cute enough to expose the spoofers. Go for it....when its over you will feel great. Most clubs have yokes like that and are the talk of the club. Expose them...now

And get someone to video it and stick it on youtube  :D

dodgy umpire

Quote from: southsidejohnny on March 18, 2010, 03:53:40 PM

one of the best posts i have ever read
The Boys in Red and Black are back

thejuice

Have the selectors/management have any daughters your age?? Its an avenue worth exploring even if it doesn't get ya on the team  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zulu

I'm not doubting your story but there was always one or two lads on the bench on my teams that believed they should be on the team, indeed some players could just as easily have been on the team but you can only play 15. The point I'm trying to make is that you may not be on the bench due to nepotism but simply because the coach believes the lads starting before you are worthy of their place. While it might not be unheard of for managers to play their sons it isn't unheard of for people to complain that a manager is playing his son unjustly. In fact, I'd never coach a team that my son is involved with unless he was clearly one of the best players on the team as you'll always get those who'll accuse you of favouritism without any justification.

If you really should be on the team have a word with the manager or selectors. If I were you I'd ask them what areas you need to work on to make the team this would allow you to get feedback on your game and you wouldn't come across as if you thought they hadn't a clue or were favouring their sons. Take on board what they say but explain to them that you would like more opportunities to win a place on the team (ideally through challenge matches). And that you'll endevor to improve on the areas that you're weak on. If you want to play football abusing your mentors won't help you so that isn't the road to take.

Celt_Man

Quote from: thejuice on March 18, 2010, 05:12:22 PM
Have the selectors/management have any daughters your age?? Its an avenue worth exploring even if it doesn't get ya on the team  ;)

I like your thinking on this one!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010