Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I'd say we'd have a good chance against Kilkenny alright ya bx  >:(
My favoures scenario is to replicate the club scene by having 3 All Irelands - Senior/Inter/Junior with Promotion and relegation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

If you had tiers, tier 1 would get the vast majority of the coverage. Token coverage of semis and finals of tier 2 and 3.

We'd be saturated with matches and more matches of Dublin v Tyrone, Kerry v Dublin, Dublin v Mayo, Mayo v Kerry. And to be honest, even fans from those counties would get sick of the sight of it all.

Rossfan

Going by last year's attendances people are already getting sick of things.......

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2018, 06:33:53 PM
Going by last year's attendances people are already getting sick of things.......

Money and more matches played a part too.

This last 8 or 9 years, it's been semis and finals involving Dublin Kerry Tyrone Mayo Donegal etc, and although a few Dublin Mayo games have been good, the constant repeat games does get very tedious.

Rossfan

The hurley crowd have the same teams playing each other several times a year yet doesn't get tedious😉.
Anyway let's stick to the topic -will these new proposals do anything to improve football as a spectacle or remove the tedious boring nature of the game?

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2018, 07:26:18 PM
The hurley crowd have the same teams playing each other several times a year yet doesn't get tedious😉.

It certainly did - in spades - when Kilkenny were dominating.

Esmarelda

Anyway let's stick to the topic -will these new proposals do anything to improve football as a spectacle or remove the tedious boring nature of the game?
It'd be like the rugby. A few good teams playing each other all the time. Everyone loves rugby.

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 14, 2018, 10:14:02 PM
It'd be like the rugby. A few good teams playing each other all the time. Everyone loves rugby.

Speak for yourself!  >:(

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 06:19:12 PM
If you had tiers, tier 1 would get the vast majority of the coverage. Token coverage of semis and finals of tier 2 and 3.

We'd be saturated with matches and more matches of Dublin v Tyrone, Kerry v Dublin, Dublin v Mayo, Mayo v Kerry. And to be honest, even fans from those counties would get sick of the sight of it all.

The coverage argument is one I don't get at all. The Tier 1 teams already get the vast majority of the coverage. Hurling dominated the early weeks/months of the TV coverage this summer and then the Super 8 kicked in, so I would say the "Tier 2" counties got the lowest coverage ever this year. 2019 will be the same.

Coverage of the Tier 2 teams is about as low as it can go, so the introduction of an actual Tier 2 competition can't makes things worse! In fact, a new Tier 2 would give the opportunity for the next TV deal to include a minimum number of Tier 2 games that must be covered.

If the new Tier 2 is a loser's competition, it'll be a disaster again. There has to be a complete split, and the only way a Tier 2 county can get into Tier 1 is by winning Tier 2. Then it'd be worth winning, and also needs to have "All Ireland" in the title, not somebody's name.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2018, 05:26:07 PM
I'd say we'd have a good chance against Kilkenny alright ya bx  >:(
My favoures scenario is to replicate the club scene by having 3 All Irelands - Senior/Inter/Junior with Promotion and relegation.

Sounds good, but will it end up like hurling with the promoted side going down again? I would bet any money the McDonagh cup winners will go down. Offaly more than likely will come up, and down again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hound on November 15, 2018, 12:32:31 PM

The coverage argument is one I don't get at all. The Tier 1 teams already get the vast majority of the coverage. Hurling dominated the early weeks/months of the TV coverage this summer and then the Super 8 kicked in, so I would say the "Tier 2" counties got the lowest coverage ever this year. 2019 will be the same.

Coverage of the Tier 2 teams is about as low as it can go, so the introduction of an actual Tier 2 competition can't makes things worse! In fact, a new Tier 2 would give the opportunity for the next TV deal to include a minimum number of Tier 2 games that must be covered.

If the new Tier 2 is a loser's competition, it'll be a disaster again. There has to be a complete split, and the only way a Tier 2 county can get into Tier 1 is by winning Tier 2. Then it'd be worth winning, and also needs to have "All Ireland" in the title, not somebody's name.
I hear there are 2 suggestions by CCCC to Central Council -
1 - All D3 and D4 teams play in the new tier 2.
2- All D3 and D 4 team enter the Qualifiers. Those that lose in Rounds 1 and 2 go into the new competition

2 is the Tommy Murphy Cup all over again while 1 isn't much better as there's no tangible reward for winning (like a place in the main Championship or promotion to Tier 1)
As for coverage - anyone have an idea how many D3 or 4 teams were covered in say last 3 years?

Taylor

Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2018, 03:17:57 PM

2- All D3 and D 4 team enter the Qualifiers. Those that lose in Rounds 1 and 2 go into the new competition

2 is the Tommy Murphy Cup all over again while 1 isn't much better as there's no tangible reward for winning (like a place in the main Championship or promotion to Tier 1)
As for coverage - anyone have an idea how many D3 or 4 teams were covered in say last 3 years?

1 with the winners automatically going up to Div 2 and going into Sam irrespective of where they finish

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Taylor on November 15, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 15, 2018, 03:17:57 PM

1 with the winners automatically going up to Div 2 and going into Sam irrespective of where they finish

Meaning 2 or 3 relegation places from Division 2 depending on what happens Or?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Inter County players opposed to handpass restriction, kicking sidelines forward and the kick out proposals.
I suppose it's a bit much to expect the top players in a football code to be kicking the ball or to kick it forward or for 25metres ::)

Decades of throwball has them ruined

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2018, 12:43:38 PM
Inter County players opposed to handpass restriction, kicking sidelines forward and the kick out proposals.
I suppose it's a bit much to expect the top players in a football code to be kicking the ball or to kick it forward or for 25metres ::)

Decades of throwball has them ruined

Who has been constantly gaslighting you about this?