Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Kidder81

Belfast journalist Henry McDonald

Cunny Funt

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on February 19, 2023, 08:30:45 PM
Dickie Davies

Great presenter (World of Sport) darts,snooker,boxing and even the Olympics. RIP

seafoid

Quote from: Kidder81 on February 19, 2023, 08:51:04 PM
Belfast journalist Henry McDonald
That's shocking. He wouldn't have been that old.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Square Ball

Motty, John Motson, super commentator
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Square Ball on February 23, 2023, 09:52:43 AM
Motty, John Motson, super commentator
Legend the on mic, brought even poor games alive.

Rufus T Firefly

Very sorry about Motty - feels like part of my childhood is gone. I was allowed to stay up to watch MOTD from 7 / 8 years of age and at that point the classic combination was Jimmy Hill as Presenter / pundit, with two games shown, commentated on by John Motson / Barry Davies. Great times.

Personal favourite would be the 'Quality goal from a quality player' line for Tony Currie's goal for Sheffield United against West Ham and this commentary of Ronnie Radford's wonder goal.

A man whose absence from the commentary box, made the heart grow fonder.

R.I.P.

imtommygunn

Ah very sad to read that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 23, 2023, 10:19:07 AM
Very sorry about Motty - feels like part of my childhood is gone. I was allowed to stay up to watch MOTD from 7 / 8 years of age and at that point the classic combination was Jimmy Hill as Presenter / pundit, with two games shown, commentated on by John Motson / Barry Davies. Great times.

Personal favourite would be the 'Quality goal from a quality player' line for Tony Currie's goal for Sheffield United against West Ham and this commentary of Ronnie Radford's wonder goal.

R.I.P.

Well said. I think his passion and sincerity shone through during his career.....it never waned and it added to what you were seeing. For me by far the best soccer commentator I've heard.

Armamike

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 23, 2023, 10:19:07 AM

R.I.P.

Sad to hear this.  Himself, Barry Davies and Brian Moore were the voices of football in those days.  Made more special by the fact that there was so little football on tv, unlike today with coverage of each match, and countless podcasts.  MOTD on a Saturday night and Harry Carpenter on Wednesdays.
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Always remember his commentary for the Robbie Keane goal vs Germany in 2002.
"Look at these scenes, just look at these scenes"

https://youtu.be/VIexE4B1GHY
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

pbat

Sad news, did the BBC drop Motty because of his age?

AustinPowers

Sad to hear

Definitely an icon  in soccer.  I actually preferred him  just speaking on the sidelines ,  his commentary sometimes did become  a bit hysterical.  But just being himself , talking , he was very good.  Seemed like a nice fella as well.