Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 10, 2015, 09:33:40 AM
Breaking... Pat Eddery, the 11 times champion jockey, has died aged 63.
(via PA Sports)

RIP.
Not only one of the greatest jockeys but one of the very top sportsmen we have ever seen from this country.

This is one of his greatest performances where he went with his instinct and won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006B8vgTLs0

+1 A truly great jockey. I love that ride on Dancing Brave! RIP Pat!
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 10, 2015, 11:29:14 PM
(via PA Sports)

RIP.
Not only one of the greatest jockeys but one of the very top sportsmen we have ever seen from this country.

This is one of his greatest performances where he went with his instinct and won.

The ironic thing about that performance is that Eddery delivered Dancing Brave with the same type of late run that Greville Starkey nearly pulled off at Epsom a few months earlier. Starkey (RIP) was always blamed for the defeat of one of the best colts ever yet Eddery produced the horse the same way - against the trainers wishes if I remember correctly. Just goes to show how well those great horsemen knew their game.

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2015, 11:47:48 PM
(via PA Sports)

RIP.

The ironic thing about that performance is that Eddery delivered Dancing Brave with the same type of late run that Greville Starkey nearly pulled off at Epsom a few months earlier. Starkey (RIP) was always blamed for the defeat of one of the best colts ever yet Eddery produced the horse the same way - against the trainers wishes if I remember correctly. Just goes to show how well those great horsemen knew their game.

Did Starkey lose the ride on him for the Arc then in favour of Eddery because of that mistake in The Derby? Took some balls for Eddery to produce him like that given what happened at Epsom.
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 11, 2015, 12:07:25 AM
Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2015, 11:47:48 PM
(via PA Sports)

RIP.

Did Starkey lose the ride on him for the Arc then in favour of Eddery because of that mistake in The Derby? Took some balls for Eddery to produce him like that given what happened at Epsom.

Starkey kept the ride and won well in the Eclipse Stakes at Sandown after. He got 'injured' and Eddery got the ride for the French race but there were muttering about the owner sheik wanting a change. In fairness the trainer always defended Starkey's effort in the Derby. it seems that Starkey and Eddery read the horse the same way but horses are not machines and courses differ. But there is no doubt that Eddery got the best out of horses without being fond of the whip as well.

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't say the rides Dancing Brave was given in the Derby and the Arc were entirely similar. They are two vastly different tracks. Longchamp is a flat left handed track whereas Epsom is right handed and about as close as you will get to a rollercoaster in profile. When you hold a horse up at Epsom you have the camber working against you when you're trying to make your run, the horse will be difficult to keep balanced and ordinarily they will start to hang down towards the inside rail. There is no doubt in my mind that Pat Eddery would have won on that horse had he been up at Epsom.

The most important skills in a jockey's armoury are their hands and there was no finer set of hands in the business than Eddery. He possessed the innate ability to settle a horse and keep them balanced. He was also a great judge of pace. I would have always said Mick Kinane was the finest Irish flat jockey I've ever seen but Eddery would push him all the way. He was a supreme horseman in what was a golden generation of flat jockeys.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mouview

Sad to hear of Eddery's death, and particularly the apparent manner of his demise. For some reason he was very often forgotten about when lists of top Irish sportspeople are discussed.

BennyCake

Marton Fulop, ex-Sunderland goalkeeper, 32.

dec

Quote from: mouview on November 11, 2015, 03:04:06 PM
Sad to hear of Eddery's death, and particularly the apparent manner of his demise. For some reason he was very often forgotten about when lists of top Irish sportspeople are discussed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/pat-eddery-s-daughter-speaks-of-the-legendary-jockey-s-battle-with-alcoholism-1.2426090

Pat Eddery's daughter speaks of the legendary jockey's battle with alcoholism

Natasha Eddery has spoken emotionally of her father Pat's battle with alcoholism following his death at the age of 63.

The 11-times champion jockey died in the early hours of Tuesday morning, nearly 12 years after his retirement from the saddle. Natasha, one of Eddery's three children along with Nichola and Harry, spoke proudly of his achievements while also revealing her pain at not seeing him in person for five years after a previous stint in rehab failed to help him beat his addiction.

She said: "Filled with grief this morning that my dad is no longer here. It's been five years since I last saw him, which was an extremely hard decision I undertook. "We stayed in touch and spoke on the phone, I never missed a birthday, Christmas or Father's Day and not a day went by when I didn't think about him. "The last time I saw him face to face was when I brought him home from rehab and he drank straight away. I turned to him and said 'dad if you choose to drink over health and family, I can't be part of that life for you'. Sadly his addiction was too strong and he couldn't overcome it.

"My sister and his close friends, including Derrick Smith and John Magnier, did all we could to help him battle his illness, but we lost in the end. "It has been so sad to witness his decline, and my sister, brother and I knew that we would lose him to his demon drink. But, that said, I loved him so much and I had probably the best childhood anyone could ask for. "I was so proud and still am so proud to be his daughter, he was an amazing jockey, father and husband, but in the end he was taken over by a terrible disease. I don't think of that man, the alcoholic, he wasn't my dad. My dad was kind, sweet, emotional and, while he never said much, I know he loved us all very much." ...

deiseach

She's a brave woman, fair play to her.

Bord na Mona man

He was never the sort of guy to thrust himself into the limelight. I don't remember him doing many interviews or making appearances outside of racing.

NAG1

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 12, 2015, 03:55:46 PM
He was never the sort of guy to thrust himself into the limelight. I don't remember him doing many interviews or making appearances outside of racing.

Very sad tribute from the daughter on 5 live last night or night before. Hadnt seen him in 5 years, since he came straight out of a rehab session and back off the wagon.

Boycey

Phil "Philty Animal" Taylor of Motörhead fame.

http://youtu.be/1iwC2QljLn4

Gaffer

Warren Mitchell!! Aka Alf Garnett
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Denn Forever

Quote from: Gaffer on November 14, 2015, 03:28:40 PM
Warren Mitchell!! Aka Alf Garnett

Just remember what it was like.  How did they get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KonChsnUO6Y
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility