Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on April 08, 2015, 07:27:04 PM
Why was Gearoid captain on Sunday and not Damien O'Reilly?

No idea, looked a bit strange alright.
Team has gone to the US now, it looks like there are no additions to the panel. We will struggle for scores this championship without a natural ball winner.

Dunne will score but he needs someone to win the ball.
Bud is a decent ball winner but he doesn't score as far as I can see
Argue will be in FF but he is totally inexperienced.
Tom Hayes is a scorer and a ball winner but is young and has had a long year, will he be able to step up?

For me, Monaghan will not have much difficulty in keeping our score rates down, our best chance lies in playing very defensively and making a dog fight out of it.

beer baron

Quote from: Westside on April 08, 2015, 07:27:04 PM
Why was Gearoid captain on Sunday and not Damien O'Reilly?

That caught my eye too, Damien lose it after getting sent off against Kildare maybe? Only a guess though,but  he does get involved in plenty.

cavan4sam

Can't remember if it was the Down game or the Kildare game but both were playing and Gearoid took the toss that night too.

Westside

Are we any better than when we met Monaghan two years ago? I don't really think so. Our forward line is slightly weaker without Keating and Dunne struggling to find form, midfield is probably slightly stronger without Givney and with the addition of Gearoid.

I think starting Argue at Full Forward would be a mistake and it would show a small hint of desperation from management, we haven't played a full game with him at that position, he's never played a Championship game at Full Forward. Is first round of the Championship really the time to attempt a curve ball like that? I think we are safer to hope we bring our shooting boots on the day, tell the lads to be a little bit more ruthless if goal opportunities present themselves and try be more disciplined in defence than Monaghan. And just do our level best to keep tabs on McManus and be disciplined in defence so as not to give him frees within range. Simple....

rodney trotter

Killian Clarke started Full forward against Kildare ahead of Argue,. he likely would have been there for the remainder of the League too. Argue hasn't been playing that well this year, he wouldn't be  guaranteed starter come championship.

mylestheslasher

Think we are playing New York tonight at 1am Irish time.

Blue in hope

Cavan played New York in the early hours of the morning and won 1-15 to 0-15. Half Time  New York 0-10 Cavan 0-7

Cavan Team was
1 Ray Galligan
2 James Morris
3 Killian Brady
4 Ciaran Brady
5 Brian Sanky
6 Conor Moynagh
7 Niall Murray
8 Michael Argue
9 Liam Buchanan
10Paul Smith
11 Barry Reilly
12 Mark Mc Keever
13 Jack Brady
14 Tom Hayes
15 Enda Reilly.

Subs Used: Bud Fitzpatrick, Thomas Corr, Martin Reilly, Fergal Flanagan,Damien Reilly,Chris Conway.

Scorers: M Argue 1-1,M. Reilly 0-3 (1 Free),J Brady 0-3 (3 Frees), C Brady 0-2,C.Conway 0-2, B Reilly 0-1,B Fitzpatrick 0-1,E Reilly 0-1,C Moynagh 0-1.

mylestheslasher

Team for 2nd game is a little stronger but still fairly experimental

Ray Galligan
Ferghal Flanagan
Rory Dunne
Killian Brady
Paul Smith
Niall Murray
Ciaran Brady
Tomas Corr
Damien O Reilly
Dara McVitty
Barry Reilly
Mark McKeever
Cian Mackey
Martin Dunne
Martin Reilly

Can we draw any conclusions? Well its interesting to see Galligan get both games in goals. If he has worked on the goalkeeping basics and has gotten up to speed then he certainly could be a serious option for Monaghan given his free taking and place kicking. I was listening to the Celts Pod Cast and they were impressed with him in the first game. Ciaran Brady also gets two games, another who could be pushing hard, his strength and drive could be very useful against Monaghan. Killian the Gunner also getting more game time but I honestly think Gunners ball skills are not up to it although there would be a type of game that would suit him to come on as a sub.

Itchy

Beat New York 3-13 to 0-11. Two goals by martin Reilly, one from Martin Dunne. Another rough game I'm told.

Old yeller

Did anybody make the trip out?

Blue in hope

Talking to someone at the march last night who said it was very tough and dirty. New York could have easily had 5-6 players sent off. Barry Reilly had to be taken off as he got two elbows to the head and didn't know where he was. also mossy took some terrible hits off the ball.

mylestheslasher

Dirty Hits, rough play off the ball..... Sounds like perfect preparation for Monaghan so.

Denn Forever

So thoughts turn to the game against Monaghan.

We can only hope that Monaghan will underestimate us after a very good performance against Dublin. 

I hope that the forwards will not kick balls into the Goalkeeper's hands.  The best way to combat  a blanket defense is to kick long range points and minimise bring the ball into contact.  Unfortunately we don't have great long range point scorers so we need to kick the ball dead so the goalie can't intiate attacks.

Should be an interesting game.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavan4sam

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 15, 2015, 01:21:16 PM
Unfortunately we don't have great long range point scorers

You say that and I agree with you to a certain extent but if the right players get on the ball we have players that can score from range as we saw against Laois.

robbieswift

I wondered if anyone might have some information on Packie Devlin, the famous Killeshandra and Cavan footballer after whom Packie Devlin Park is named. His footballing exploits are a matter of record, but I wanted to find information on his family and personal life.

Packie was the brother of my grandmother, Annie Mary Devlin, who crossed the water to England with their sister Delia in the 1920s. My Granny never talked about her life or family in Ireland before she passed away in 1965 and her daughter, my Aunt Kathleen now in her 80s, would dearly like to know more about her mother's life.

I realise it was a long time ago now, but I would be very grateful if anyone has any information at all about Packie and his life.