Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

And so we meet again. Two evenly matched sides - either capable of beating the other.

McGee, probably the dirtiest defender in Ulster since Gerry McCarville, misses out but it won't make much of a difference. Expecting a better display from Monaghan than last year's Ulster Final.

babarino

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 12, 2016, 05:01:38 PM
Neil mcgee maybe?

Vicious McGee, dig in the ribs McGee. Stamp on your ankle McGee...his supporters would say..."he may be a bastard...but he's our bastard."

J70

SouthDublinBro

I'll get this one started then.

2 mediocre sides. Donegal are past it now and Monaghan are a one man show.

OgraAnDun

I think Donegal are over the hill. Monaghan to win by 3 or 4 and Tyrone to beat Cavan in a close game and overcome Monaghan in the final.

J70

Well, we'll have to improve quite a bit on yesterday to have any chance. Corrigan got seven points from frees (and Quigley missed a penalty too). How many will we give away to McManus, assuming he doesn't knock it over the bar first? And the kick-out problems remain, something Monaghan exploited in the league game after their poor start that day.

Oh how we could do with the 2006 version of Karl Lacey to look after McManus!

JoG2

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 13, 2016, 07:45:35 PM
I'll get this one started then.

2 mediocre sides. Donegal are past it now and Monaghan are a one man show.

The thread is in serious bother if a man who clearly knows feck all about football gets its started

Fuzzman

J70 what's the story with injuries?
What's wrong with Murphy and Lacey?
You will feel Murphy has a lot more to offer but rarely does as they said last night on TSG

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 13, 2016, 09:05:44 PM
J70 what's the story with injuries?
What's wrong with Murphy and Lacey?
You will feel Murphy has a lot more to offer but rarely does as they said last night on TSG

Lacey is apparently injured. Was in the stand yesterday.

Murphy is just being wasted as a spoke in the wheel in the blanket defence/fast break system. Played a lovely, drilled ball in to pick McBrearty out the crowd for the first point of the game, but the rest was just run of the mill linkage and covering that is a complete waste of his talents. But then poor McBrearty is barely getting a touch up front on his own, so throwing Murphy up there with him, if they're not going to hit fast quick ball in, would probably be a waste too. Even if he was in at centre forward, which he would excel at in a classic line-up with his intelligence and vision, he probably wouldn't get on the ball much anyway, or at least no more than he does now. He is being sacrificed for the greater "good" unfortunately, as he can fill so many holes/roles.

The worst part is that the likes of Tyrone and Monaghan are probably better than us at this system at this point anyway with the miles some of our more important players have behind them. I'd like to see a few more of the young lads get a run - what was the point, in the long view anyway, of bringing Colm McFadden on yesterday with the game won, instead of someone like Stephen McBrearty or Ciaran Thompson? McFadden had a decent year last year, at least compared to the previous two, but this is his fourteenth or fifteenth season, albeit he did sit one out ten years ago.

Itchy

Wasn't impressed with Donegal yesterday, fancy Monaghan to win this. Hopefully set up a final v Cavan, that would be good craic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2016, 09:19:24 PM
Lacey is apparently injured. Was in the stand yesterday.

Murphy is just being wasted as a spoke in the wheel in the blanket defence/fast break system. Played a lovely, drilled ball in to pick McBrearty out the crowd for the first point of the game, but the rest was just run of the mill linkage and covering that is a complete waste of his talents. But then poor McBrearty is barely getting a touch up front on his own, so throwing Murphy up there with him, if they're not going to hit fast quick ball in, would probably be a waste too. Even if he was in at centre forward, which he would excel at in a classic line-up with his intelligence and vision, he probably wouldn't get on the ball much anyway, or at least no more than he does now. He is being sacrificed for the greater "good" unfortunately, as he can fill so many holes/roles.

It's all academic, Corey'll blot him out no matter where he is on the parc. I'd say Murphy's havin nightmares already..  :P

Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2016, 09:19:24 PM
The worst part is that the likes of Tyrone and Monaghan are probably better than us at this system at this point anyway with the miles some of our more important players have behind them. I'd like to see a few more of the young lads get a run - what was the point, in the long view anyway, of bringing Colm McFadden on yesterday with the game won, instead of someone like Stephen McBrearty or Ciaran Thompson? McFadden had a decent year last year, at least compared to the previous two, but this is his fourteenth or fifteenth season, albeit he did sit one out ten years ago.

It's not easy when someone else betters you at a system of play that your team meticulously pioneered..  ::)

All jokin aside, it'll be a tight affair and I certainly don't buy in to this notion that 'Donegal are past it/over the hill'. I do hear ya re bringing on the older guns, Monaghan done this too the last day. Perhaps it's a recognition for their efforts in the training and for the experience that they bring to the younger lads. I too would like to see the likes of McCarron/McGinn get some championship game time but it's also good to see the likes of Clerkin/Finlay comin on as it can lift the team.

GrandMasterFlash

Let's blow the cobwebs off this one..

Will yesterday's game have influenced either or both? I reckon this game will be as intense, and hopefully not cynical, as yesterday's wasn't overly.

Any other oul craic?

Schkite

Any word of any fresh injury concerns? Is Barry McGinn available?

twohands!!!

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 20, 2016, 12:42:11 PM
Let's blow the cobwebs off this one..

Will yesterday's game have influenced either or both? I reckon this game will be as intense, and hopefully not cynical, as yesterday's wasn't overly.

Any other oul craic?

I'd imagine both sides are thinking that there could be a relatively handy Ulster title to be won if they win this game.