Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Watching the Life of Brian - again. There's so many jokes that are referenced daily. A masterpiece.

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on October 05, 2018, 08:16:16 PM
Watching the Life of Brian - again. There's so many jokes that are referenced daily. A masterpiece.

I wonder would it be funny to kids now??

Not that you're old Benny but the film was even old when I came across it and loved it I wonder is funny just funny and would kids nowadays appreciate it.

At the time it was nearly ground breaking in taking on the church.

The leper bit with Palin is my favourite part!!

bennydorano

I doubt it would be you know. I'd say they'd have pretty much heard every joke in it - but in a ripped off context.

I preferred The Holy Grail when I was younger too. Totally played it to death but, must have a look for it too, been a while.

Tony Baloney

I tried Life of Brian for the wains a couple of months ago but couldn't get through it as the missus made me turn it off at the Pilate Biggus Dickus part!

J70

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2018, 08:11:01 PM
Quote from: Targetman on August 28, 2018, 06:22:04 PM
Anyone seen Black KkKlansman, gonna go at weekend
I'll  definitely view it when it becomes available to me. There is a precedent for a black klansman, wasn't it  Richard Prior & Gene Wilder (aka The Frisco Kid) in Blazing Saddles?

That would be the Waco Kid!

maddog

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 30, 2018, 08:30:20 AM
Watched Black 47 yesterday, was nothing special.

Was alright. Worth watching but felt a bit B list low budget. 6/10

themac_23

Quote from: maddog on October 06, 2018, 09:28:17 AM

Likewise, had heard great reports, was kinda waiting on a big show stopping end to the film but def failed to deliver, kinda watched the end and was just meh

The Iceman

Venom 6.5/10

Very surprised this wasn't better. Hardy does not give one of his typical performances, his accent (for me) was terrible. The story was ok. It definitely did not feel like a Marvel movie, more like a DC movie. It did not stay true to the comic book story and there's no plans I would imagine to integrate this character in to the current marvel universe on the big screen.

It was also shorter than most block busters. I think about 1hr 40 mins. Not that that should dictate the success or failure of a movie but i remarked on it as we left.

I would wait to watch it on blu ray....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lurganblue

Quote from: themac_23 on October 06, 2018, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: maddog on October 06, 2018, 09:28:17 AM

Likewise, had heard great reports, was kinda waiting on a big show stopping end to the film but def failed to deliver, kinda watched the end and was just meh

Was hoping for big things with this film. People had watched it and were raving about it to me. Must say i wasn't overly impressed. Entertaining enough but i 100% have no interest in seeing it again.

Boycey

Watched Searching last night, very quirky format. A decent 7/10

nrico2006

Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 AM
Watched Searching last night, very quirky format. A decent 7/10

It looks good, definitely on the hit list.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

First Man was excellent. Don't go expecting it to be a thrill ride as you'll be disappointed. Giving it a 9/10.

oakleaflad

Quote from: The Iceman on October 15, 2018, 12:50:43 PM
Venom 6.5/10

Very surprised this wasn't better. Hardy does not give one of his typical performances, his accent (for me) was terrible. The story was ok. It definitely did not feel like a Marvel movie, more like a DC movie. It did not stay true to the comic book story and there's no plans I would imagine to integrate this character in to the current marvel universe on the big screen.

It was also shorter than most block busters. I think about 1hr 40 mins. Not that that should dictate the success or failure of a movie but i remarked on it as we left.

I would wait to watch it on blu ray....
Venom isn't part of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and is filmed by Sony. Venom is part of the deal Sony had to film the old Spider-Man films and Sony can produce these films without the input of Marvel studios. It was aimed at kick starting 'Sony's Marvel Universe'. So it isn't related to the Disney owned Marvel films (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Guardians of Galaxy etc.) and would explain the different look, feel and (probable) quality of the film.

Jell 0 Biafra

Watched The Endless today. Really enjoyed it. Sci-fi /horror. If you know the movie Resolution,  it's a partner piece to that. Stands on its own too though.

Main Street

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 16, 2018, 10:05:47 AM
Have seen both BlacKkKlansman and Black 47 recently. Both excellent and well worth seeing.
I finally got round to viewing BKkK, yes it's excellent. From the first scene the smartest guy in the room by far was the black man and after 5 minutes he's running the police station. In the credits at the end I saw it was directed by Spike Lee, it all made sense then. There's even a welcome bonus  in a cameo role of sorts by the renowned  Senator Clay Davis