Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 17, 2018, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 17, 2018, 05:02:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 17, 2018, 04:40:36 PM
What has Gilvarry been doing since 2013? When did he finish with the minors?
He managed Mayo minors 2014,2015,2016 before stepping down.

Manager of the Stephenites since 2017 and has done a good job bringing through a young team playing good open football. I don't think he is up to the Mayo job, maybe he should go for the U20's first whenever it becomes available.
More than likely especially if Solan becomes part of Horan's management team.

twohands!!!

Quote from: MayoBuck on September 17, 2018, 10:54:25 AM
According to the Western People Horan, Solan and Enda Gilvarry are allowing their names be put forward by the clubs. No other candidates are expected.

Would have to think that Solan is in pole position, as he person in situ.

I just can't see the Mayo County Board giving it to Horan again, too much bad blood still there.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on September 17, 2018, 06:29:33 PM
According to the Western People Horan, Solan and Enda Gilvarry are allowing their names be put forward by the clubs. No other candidates are expected.

I just can't see the Mayo County Board giving it to Horan again, too much bad blood still there.

Don't think Solan is ready for senior county management yet with high expectations like the Mayo senior job has. Isn't he younger than the likes of David Clarke and Andy Moran?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 17, 2018, 06:44:09 PM

Don't think Solan is ready for senior county management yet with high expectations like the Mayo senior job has. Isn't he younger than the likes of David Clarke and Andy Moran?

Think Solan is about 35. I heard before he's a brother in law to Andy and David Drake. Not an ideal situation if you're the manager.

Lar Naparka

I can't either, going by what Stephen Rochford has said about board members trying to influence his decisions on who should be selected.
Horan had a long-running fight with the county board from start to finish as it tried to curtail expenses and he was having none of this. I can't see any there rushing to welcome anyone back so he can tell them to take a running jump for themselves once again.
Still, he has widespread support from players and the public alike and both parties have had enough of the board's wheelings and dealings to last them some time.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ballinaman

Quote from: MayoBuck on September 17, 2018, 07:10:46 PM

Think Solan is about 35. I heard before he's a brother in law to Andy and David Drake. Not an ideal situation if you're the manager.
He's actually 24 and Conor O Sheas twin brother .more news from jimmy sloyan as we get it.

Jinxy

The politics of Mayo football make me sick to my teeth.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

Quote from: MayoBuck on September 17, 2018, 07:10:46 PM

Solan is the same age as Andy ,played on the nathys team who got to the all Ireland with Andy in 2000 under Johnno.

Andy is married to Jennifer drake who is David's sister , not sure where solan is realted . They are obviously all best friends though . 

Be a big job for Solan , don't think he's ready for it yet .    Its a tough assignment for whoever gets it even Horan  .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on September 17, 2018, 10:22:14 PM
The politics of Mayo football make me sick to my teeth.

If it's not the Breaffy mafia picking the team it's the PRO

macdanger2

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 17, 2018, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 17, 2018, 05:02:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 17, 2018, 04:40:36 PM
What has Gilvarry been doing since 2013? When did he finish with the minors?
He managed Mayo minors 2014,2015,2016 before stepping down.

Manager of the Stephenites since 2017 and has done a good job bringing through a young team playing good open football. I don't think he is up to the Mayo job, maybe he should go for the U20's first whenever it becomes available.

Cheers

iorras

And all Jimmy wanted was a place kicker.
If only we read our history

Blowitupref

Jimmy doesn't like Kevin McStay or Army cadets it seems.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Good article in the Mayo News about how out of date the method of selecting a manager is considering what the job has become. It probably applies to many counties apart from our own

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/32657-examining-the-process-of-finding-a-manager

shark

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 02:16:43 PM
Good article in the Mayo News about how out of date the method of selecting a manager is considering what the job has become. It probably applies to many counties apart from our own

That process is very common. The biggest obstacle to county boards functioning well is that the people most likely to want to occupy positions on a county board are exactly the people you don't want. Bringing in outside expertise to consult on important decisions like the appointment of senior manager would be more likely to produce the right candidate. I speak generally, rather than just about Mayo.

five points

Quote from: shark on September 18, 2018, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2018, 02:16:43 PM

That process is very common. The biggest obstacle to county boards functioning well is that the people most likely to want to occupy positions on a county board are exactly the people you don't want. Bringing in outside expertise to consult on important decisions like the appointment of senior manager would be more likely to produce the right candidate. I speak generally, rather than just about Mayo.

We once hired a recruitment firm and ended up with Tommy Tom Carr.