Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Newbridge Exile

We will just agree to disagree so , two of the very  best over the last  25 years.

Estimator

'Screen beat Errigal Ciaran 1-10 to 1-08 in the Minor Club Quarter Final. 
Semi Final v O'Donovan Rossa on Boxing Day.
Ulster League Champions 2009

restorepride

Quote from: Estimator on December 17, 2017, 06:36:27 PM
'Screen beat Errigal Ciaran 1-10 to 1-08 in the Minor Club Quarter Final. 
Semi Final v O'Donovan Rossa on Boxing Day.
Good victory, fair play to them.

Derry Optimist

With only  two weeks to go before  Damian McErlain's  Senior managerial debut with Derry in the McKenna Cup match against UU  at Owenbeg on January 3rd, it will be very interesting to see what his starting 15 will be.

To make matters more intriguing he has to pick a side without his  contingent of six Slaughtneil players and up to seven others who have committed to the University teams.That leaves only sixteen players left from his original panel of twenty nine.Emmett Bradley,Danny Tallon,Terence O'Brien,Niall Keenan and Ben McKinless are some of those presently playing for their Universities with McKinless apparently starring in the forward line!

In the unlikely scenario that he selects established Senior players who were not in his original panel he will have to enlist at least ten players from this year's U20 panel.So  it will be a big ask initially as well as a golden opportunity for those underage players to stake a claim  to become a more permanent part of the Senior panel.After all there will only  be just over a further three weeks before Derry play in the first Round of the National League against Westmeath on January 28th.

toby47

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 20, 2017, 01:58:16 PM
With only  two weeks to go before  Damian McErlain's  Senior managerial debut with Derry in the McKenna Cup match against UU  at Owenbeg on January 3rd, it will be very interesting to see what his starting 15 will be.

To make matters more intriguing he has to pick a side without his  contingent of six Slaughtneil players and up to seven others who have committed to the University teams.That leaves only sixteen players left from his original panel of twenty nine.Emmett Bradley,Danny Tallon,Terence O'Brien,Niall Keenan and Ben McKinless are some of those presently playing for their Universities with McKinless apparently starring in the forward line!

In the unlikely scenario that he selects established Senior players who were not in his original panel he will have to enlist at least ten players from this year's U20 panel.So  it will be a big ask initially as well as a golden opportunity for those underage players to stake a claim  to become a more permanent part of the Senior panel.After all there will only  be just over a further three weeks before Derry play in the first Round of the National League against Westmeath on January 28th.

It will be the 2nd option. He will go for youth, wont be calling back any of the senior players who have been dropped this year.

shawshank

Anyone care to explain why Damian Heavron has been excluded from the panel, very poor from of Mc Erlaine on this one. What has Heavron done previously with Barton last year to warrant such treatment. I am surprised there hasn't been more made of this considering the guy is one of our best players, especially as we have a seriously young panel who need all the help they can get.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: shawshank on December 21, 2017, 02:59:28 PM
Anyone care to explain why Damian Heavron has been excluded from the panel, very poor from of Mc Erlaine on this one. What has Heavron done previously with Barton last year to warrant such treatment. I am surprised there hasn't been more made of this considering the guy is one of our best players, especially as we have a seriously young panel who need all the help they can get.

whos he ? Anything to Danny ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

DERRYSFINEST

And Ryan Bell also??

lenny

On the surface it's a bizarre omission but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. We'll have to see how Derry progress through the season and I'd say Damien has a gameplan in mind for the players he's picked. As a Rossa man I've mixed feelings but it should make us stronger having Danny and Emmett available all year and having a point to prove.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on December 21, 2017, 06:18:27 PM

On the surface it's a bizarre omission but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. We'll have to see how Derry progress through the season and I'd say Damien has a gameplan in mind for the players he's picked. As a Rossa man I've mixed feelings but it should make us stronger having Danny and Emmett available all year and having a point to prove.
He would need to have a better gameplan than he had for the minor final. Heavron will be a huge loss in my opinion, great football brain and vision.  Both Emmett and Ryan would be very useful options in Division 3 football in January/February and would add a physical presence. Return of some more experienced players balances things a wee bit but getting up from Division 3 is by no means an easy task with the panel available.

lenny

Quote from: restorepride on December 21, 2017, 08:23:21 PM

He would need to have a better gameplan than he had for the minor final. Heavron will be a huge loss in my opinion, great football brain and vision.  Both Emmett and Ryan would be very useful options in Division 3 football in January/February and would add a physical presence. Return of some more experienced players balances things a wee bit but getting up from Division 3 is by no means an easy task with the panel available.

His record with the minor team was excellent overall so it would be harsh just to judge him on the final where a brilliant kerry team hit their peak.

shawshank

We'll agree to disagree on Kerry peaking, the centre was like the parting of the Red Sea, they didn't have to peak, just run and kick through the middle.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on December 21, 2017, 08:30:38 PM

His record with the minor team was excellent overall so it would be harsh just to judge him on the final where a brilliant kerry team hit their peak.
The warning signs were there in the quarterfinal v Sligo so lessons were not learnt.  Then not having a plan A never mind a plan B for David Clifford is worrying.  What is his record like with senior teams?

allseasons

Quote from: restorepride on December 21, 2017, 11:27:03 PM

The warning signs were there in the quarterfinal v Sligo so lessons were not learnt.  Then not having a plan A never mind a plan B for David Clifford is worrying.  What is his record like with senior teams?
Let the undermining begin  ::)

shawshank

Quote from: allseasons on December 22, 2017, 12:36:30 PM
Quote from: restorepride on December 21, 2017, 11:27:03 PM

Let the undermining begin  ::)

hey man, its not that at all, will we just pretend those things did not happen. He won two Ulsters at minor, that's a fact, will we air brush that as well. Get real.