Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Banana Man on May 24, 2011, 01:12:49 PM
i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

they talk about the great strides and fair enough there have been some changes but they don't go far enough, the basterdised ulster flag and GSTQ being played has to go for a start

how many B/Junior/underage internationals are held in solitude or Celtic Park - zero.

Brendan crossan wrote a good article on this in last weeks irish news, they could do worse than go and have a look at it

Anyone got a copy of said letter?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Banana Man

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 25, 2011, 08:36:40 AM
i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

they talk about the great strides and fair enough there have been some changes but they don't go far enough, the basterdised ulster flag and GSTQ being played has to go for a start

how many B/Junior/underage internationals are held in solitude or Celtic Park - zero.

Brendan crossan wrote a good article on this in last weeks irish news, they could do worse than go and have a look at it

i don't but if you were depressed it would really cheer you up!

the clown who wrote it was on UTV live last night - i never seen worse in my life, is this really the best they have to trot out???

he also said they were boycotting the NI game - fans boycotting their own team, do they not realise they are shooting themselves in the foot - it's only a matter of time before it grinds to a halt if they keep this behaviour up - so here's hoping  ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Banana Man on May 25, 2011, 09:09:30 AM

the clown who wrote it was on UTV live last night - i never seen worse in my life, is this really the best they have to trot out???

he also said they were boycotting the NI game - fans boycotting their own team, do they not realise they are shooting themselves in the foot - it's only a matter of time before it grinds to a halt if they keep this behaviour up - so here's hoping  ;D
their best bet is to amalgamate  - like the rugby.
some ofthe young players from the north would prob make the 'B' maybe 'C' team !

saffron sam2

i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the Irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

Yes, I saw his performance. Absolutely cringeworthy and one of the most disingenuous things I've ever seen. An individual who has been involved in sectarian (i.e anti-Catholic) unrest in north Belfast. It is shameful that he remains the spokesperson for a "cross-community" group like the AoNISC and that those like Evil Genius continue to act as apologists for his role.

Not direct quotes from the Woodvale Layalist, hence no speak marks, but his gist was something like:

- We don't want to deny any young Irishman his right to play for the Republic of Ireland.
- We wish them the best with their football careers.

He clearly doesn't read the comments about such young Irishmen on sites like ourweecountry.co.uk.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ludermor

Main Street

Is this it?

Tiocfaidh ár lá

The Carling Cup of Nations (or Celtic Cup) has brought a number of issues relating to the Northern Ireland team, the IFA and the IFA's relationship with the FAI to the fore. While the recent boycott of the tournament by Northern Ireland fans, over their treatment by the IFA, FAI and Irish police, has attracted a good deal of publicity, it should be noted that an informal pre-existing boycott was already in place, with many supporters, including some who have followed the team to South America, the United States, the Caribbean and the farthest corners of Europe, refusing to make the short trip to Dublin to watch our team. The primary reason for this boycott is the increasing selection of Northern Ireland born or capped players by the FAI, despite their already representing Northern Ireland at all levels up to, and now including, full international.

The time has come for the IFA to make a stand against this practice; if it continues the very existence of the association and the international team is endangered. We recognise that this is not a situation of the IFA's making, that FIFA's ruling on player eligibility was challenged by the association, and that strenuous efforts have been made by the IFA, as part of its "Football For All" scheme, to ensure that football in Northern Ireland remains cross-community and teams at all levels are selected on merit alone.

FIFA's ruling has placed our country's team at a disadvantage faced by no other, namely, every single player eligible to play for us can also be selected by the FAI. The FAI's shameless exploitation of this rule to the detriment of Northern Ireland teams, and the public statements of its officials vowing to continue and expand this practice, makes cordial relations between the two associations impossible. Our objection is based on a matter of principle, that the selection of players who have played for Northern Ireland at every level - full international included – by the FAI is unethical, opportunistic and, by accident or design, sectarian, and must cease.

While we object to the precedent that the FIFA ruling, and subsequent CAS judgement, have established, we must stress that we accept that some players from Northern Ireland will choose to represent the Republic of Ireland team. This is, of course, regrettable, but we absolutely and unequivocally respect their choice. To those players considering switching allegiance, however, we say this: please do not accept a call-up from the IFA unless it is your intention to play for Northern Ireland. Your actions let down fans who give you unstinting support, waste the scarce resources of the IFA and, worst of all, deny a cap to someone who genuinely wanted it and would have been proud to accept it. Such expedient behaviour in denying another player the chance to win a cap, the highest honour in international football, is utterly unethical and reflects poorly on those who do it.

As longstanding supporters of the Northern Ireland team we urge the IFA to act upon the following proposal: it must secure a public commitment from the FAI, or a joint statement from both associations to the same effect, that it will no longer select players who have represented Northern Ireland at U19 level and above, regardless of FIFA's rules and regardless of whether or not a senior cap was won in a friendly international. This amounts to, in essence, the reintroduction of the gentleman's agreement which existed for over fifty years and worked to the mutual benefit of both associations.

If the FAI is prepared to make this commitment, the IFA must, without question, reciprocate, and not select players who have previously represented the Republic of Ireland, even if they were born in Northern Ireland; if the FAI refuses and continues to behave in its current unscrupulous and unprincipled way, behaviour which threatens the continued existence of the IFA and Northern Ireland team, then we demand that all co-operation between the two associations at all levels cease.

The forthcoming fixture between the two countries is an ideal opportunity for the associations to bring this matter to an amicable conclusion and, in the name of continued cordial relations, to publicly announce that a binding agreement on player selection has been reached. Such an agreement is in the interests of all concerned as it would strengthen and equalise the relationship between the FAI and IFA and end distractive speculation surrounding players.

If the IFA refuses to pursue this course of action, then it will have declared itself unfit to run football in Northern Ireland. In this event, its senior administrators must resign and be replaced by people who will serve the national team's best interests.

To our team which will take the field in Dublin without our usual vocal support, we are deeply sorry that we cannot be in attendance, but be assured that we are with you in spirit: Play with pride. Play with passion. Play for the shirt.

Applesisapples

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 25, 2011, 12:15:20 PM
i see the NI Supporters clubs have got together and wrote a letter in the Irish news today, first of all i'm shocked they were able to string a coherent letter together (kudos for that) but secondly how they fail to realise that it is such a cold house for Catholics/nationalists.

Yes, I saw his performance. Absolutely cringeworthy and one of the most disingenuous things I've ever seen. An individual who has been involved in sectarian (i.e anti-Catholic) unrest in north Belfast. It is shameful that he remains the spokesperson for a "cross-community" group like the AoNISC and that those like Evil Genius continue to act as apologists for his role.

Not direct quotes from the Woodvale Layalist, hence no speak marks, but his gist was something like:

- We don't want to deny any young Irishman his right to play for the Republic of Ireland.
- We wish them the best with their football careers.

He clearly doesn't read the comments about such young Irishmen on sites like ourweecountry.co.uk.
I thought he did ok but he wasn't really asked the hard questions about flags emblems and chanting.

haranguerer

I thought there were a few annoying things across both news channels yest. esp utv, who continullly referred to the republic 'player poaching'. This isnt happenign, players are exercising their right to play for their country. The beeb also said there was 'nothign the ifa could do about it'  - beg to differ, but its probably too much like genuine work at anti sectarianism for them.

I actually thought the ni fans tried to pull off quite a smart move. If they'd all travelled down, I think its highly likely a fair number would have showed themselves up. Only way to avoid this was to have noone go, as its pretty difficult to seperate an average NI fan from a bigot.

Also, from about two weeks ago, it was on the news that IFA were only giving tickets to fans travelling with them, and the price caused uproar. This is what the boycott was about, yet the IFA then tried to say it was becuase of 'player poaching', which let them off the hook, while one NI fan who was asked was at least honest enough to say anyone he'd been talkng to wasnt heading becuase there was a poor team out and they were going to get hammered.

Rossfan

For a crowd who claim they don't do politics and who want "soccer for all" -
why do they use the UK State anthem as their anthem (it is only the National anthem of 55% of the 6 Cos population) ? -
why did the few IFA fans who were in Lansdowne Road last night have two of the largest Union Jacks prominently displayed behind them.? If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?

"No Fenians wanted here"  is the message sent out loud and clear.

Well EG/MW ?
Exempting Nifan from this  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Anyone know a good forum where NI fans post? I just want to hear a genuine good reason why an All-Ireland team is not the best way forward.

I had to laugh last night. 5-0 down and the NI fans do what they do best. Sing the sash! God love them.

Mentalman

Quote from: ck on May 25, 2011, 01:50:43 PM
Anyone know a good forum where NI fans post? I just want to hear a genuine good reason why an All-Ireland team is not the best way forward.

Might not be the best idea. Pretty sure you'd be banned within minutes for even raising the issue, and that would be getting off lightly. Aside from the threats, a couple of years ago one posters details were outed on a particular NI fan forum by none other than one of it's administrators. Best leave them to it.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

ck

Quote from: Mentalman on May 25, 2011, 01:56:34 PM

Might not be the best idea. Pretty sure you'd be banned within minutes for even raising the issue, and that would be getting off lightly. Aside from the threats, a couple of years ago one posters details were outed on a particular NI fan forum by none other than one of it's administrators. Best leave them to it.

mmm fair enough. Debate isnt something the Norn Iron fans do well. They must feel threatened.

red hander

Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2011, 01:47:31 PM
For a crowd who claim they don't do politics and who want "soccer for all" -
why do they use the UK State anthem as their anthem (it is only the National anthem of 55% of the 6 Cos population) ? -
why did the few IFA fans who were in Lansdowne Road last night have two of the largest Union Jacks prominently displayed behind them.? If they are simply following a team why not a green and white flag ... the team colours?

"No Fenians wanted here"  is the message sent out loud and clear.

Well EG/MW ?
Exempting Nifan from this  ;)

There was also an Orange Order flag clearly being waved by their 'fans', and outside the ground after the game they were singing the Sash... and this was supposed to be an IFA-vetted and controlled operation.  A lot of them were interviewed before pulling out of Belfast and they were all whining about how they'd been tarred with the same brush as those scum who were caught on camera singing the Billy Boys at the Scotland match ... and that big pohill McAllister writes a pathetic letter to the Irish News claiming the support is non-sectarian  ::)

Mentalman

Quote from: ck on May 25, 2011, 02:39:06 PM
Quote from: Mentalman on May 25, 2011, 01:56:34 PM

mmm fair enough. Debate isnt something the Norn Iron fans do well. They must feel threatened.

It's been hashed and rehashed here lots of times but a few of the NI lads that frequent this forum are well able to debate it in fairness, NIFAN or Evil Genius et al.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."