Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

GetOverTheBar

I don't think Celtic fans are too bothered by Rodgers actually leaving. Short term - they'll probably win everything anyway. Longer term....new manager, cut a few corners financially on Rodgers and bank the compo, probably still well ahead of the pack in Scotland. One bad managerial appointment will probably still not cost them dearly either.

The issue Celtic fans seem to have is that this shows just how far down the food chain the Scottish Premier League has become and where Celtic are, it's hard for them to accept that Leicester City are considered a bigger challenge - but quite clearly, it is.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2019, 09:53:48 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 28, 2019, 09:48:38 AM
MON traded mediocrity for a shot at immortality

A lot has changed since then though!!
Not much, Leicester did enter the charts with a low calibre bullet in 2016 but have sunk to  65th place in the Uefa club rankings, just below Maribor and before long they will sink to the default level for any EPL club  -  joint 86th,   that's mediocrity.

dublin7

Quote from: Main Street on February 28, 2019, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 27, 2019, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2019, 12:55:44 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers
Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Quit with the hysterical nonsense.
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right.
No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.
Benfica is the most debt ridden club in the world after Man U  and your fabled QPR had £300m debt in 2017.
The Deloitte chart is the standard reference for measuring club revenue, however their figures  do not reflect the purchasing capacity.
Celtic can compete quite well on salary and has stepping stone viability for an ambitious player to bide his time and showcase.
Benfica, most every year, are ahead of Ajax in the revenue list with both hovering around the top 30,  both those teams are in football leagues which don't have the big tv money, traditionally Benfica earn their millions via transfers every year but in recent years Ajax have also made killings on transfers.
Celtic have a similar CL record as Ajax over the past 20 years and it has been teams of the calibre of Benfica and Ajax that Celtic have to overcome in the CL group stages to move on to last 16 or finish 3rd and  history tells that Celtic have had the edge on both those teams in competition. Obviously Benfica have done much better than both overall.
The rankings that matter are the Uefa club rankings and going into the 2018/19 season  Benfica were 15th  Ajax 31th and  Celtic 47th
It's not out of the question for Celtic to move up that table  and qualify for the CL group stages more regularly via the easier champions route as a seeded team in the play off and look to compete favourably  with the 3rd seeded teams and on occasion the 2nd seeded team in the CL group stage.

Sorry but the days of Celtic competing in Europe are over. Previously Celtic Park was a fortress in the champions league but those days have gone. Last year in champions league they lost all 3 games at home and were lucky to qualify for Europa League qualifiers in 3rd place only to be well beaten in 1st knock out round. This year they didn't even make champions league, just about got into knock out satges and were again beaten in the 1st knock out stage after losing both legs. Who have they beaten in Europe in the last 5 years that could be considered a good European side. Maybe Anderlecht, but I can't think of anyone else?

Celtic at the moment are a feeder club for top clubs in England/Europe. Their transfer policy seems to be buy young cheap promising youngsters and hope they mature into quality players. They will then be sold to English/European clubs for large fees generating a nice profit for the club

While Rodgers leaving now is bad timing it is a clearly a bigger job than Celtic and a bigger test of his abilities. He'll have a bigger budget, better players available and wil be coming up against good sides/players every week. I imagine his thinking is that he can get a job at one the top 6 premier league clubs if he does well at Leicester and frankly after doing the treble 2 years in a row there's nothing else he can achieve in Scotland

michaelg

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 27, 2019, 10:11:13 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 27, 2019, 10:09:43 PM

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 27, 2019, 10:03:15 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 27, 2019, 09:56:40 PM
Good to see a wee club get a result after a tough week... fair play!

Anti Utd & Celtic this man..... :o

I'm actually not anti Celtic I like to see them do well. The craziness of some supporters and this "oh but we're more than just a club" thing gets on my wick a bit because Celtic are the same as every other club a business and a brand.

Petty.
Talking about petty, is it true that the non-sectarian (more than) a club insisted on Dominos changing the branding on their pizza kiosk at Parkhead because the support couldn't tolerate the company's traditional colours?

HiMucker

Quote from: Main Street on February 28, 2019, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 27, 2019, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2019, 12:55:44 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers
Yabba yabba  yabba, Who is expecting Celtic to pump league winners from the top leagues in Europe?
Quit with the hysterical nonsense.
Celtic did well in europe with Lennon and with a bit more support from the board that level of "success" could have been maintained. It's not out of the equation that a club like Celtic can achieve what a club like Ajax or Benfica do manage on a more regular basis. Champions league group stages is a goal, not a right.
No they cant. They may do it the odd time but they cant match them financially to do it consistently. I used to go over to Celtic matches. Still support them, but I look at football now as just entertainment, the money has completely ruined any semblance of a level playing field. Last year Celtic didnt even feature in the Worlds top 100 richest clubs. Benfica were 66th and Ajax were 36th. QPR were 82nd. Puts it in perspective. Leicester were 19th. The timing might leave a bad taste in the mouth, but I feel a lot of it is down to hurt egos in the realization of where Celtic are at in the football hierarchy. Some supporters just don't want to admit that.
Benfica is the most debt ridden club in the world after Man U  and your fabled QPR had £300m debt in 2017.
The Deloitte chart is the standard reference for measuring club revenue, however their figures  do not reflect the purchasing capacity.
Celtic can compete quite well on salary and has stepping stone viability for an ambitious player to bide his time and showcase.
Benfica, most every year, are ahead of Ajax in the revenue list with both hovering around the top 30,  both those teams are in football leagues which don't have the big tv money, traditionally Benfica earn their millions via transfers every year but in recent years Ajax have also made killings on transfers.
Celtic have a similar CL record as Ajax over the past 20 years and it has been teams of the calibre of Benfica and Ajax that Celtic have to overcome in the CL group stages to move on to last 16 or finish 3rd and  history tells that Celtic have had the edge on both those teams in competition. Obviously Benfica have done much better than both overall.
The rankings that matter are the Uefa club rankings and going into the 2018/19 season  Benfica were 15th  Ajax 31th and  Celtic 47th
It's not out of the question for Celtic to move up that table  and qualify for the CL group stages more regularly via the easier champions route as a seeded team in the play off and look to compete favourably  with the 3rd seeded teams and on occasion the 2nd seeded team in the CL group stage.
And where do Celtic rank? I couldnt find the deloitte table other than one for the top 20.

themac_23

Quote from: michaelg on February 28, 2019, 11:22:23 AM

I'm actually not anti Celtic I like to see them do well. The craziness of some supporters and this "oh but we're more than just a club" thing gets on my wick a bit because Celtic are the same as every other club a business and a brand.

Petty.
Talking about petty, is it true that the non-sectarian (more than) a club insisted on Dominos changing the branding on their pizza kiosk at Parkhead because the support couldn't tolerate the company's traditional colours?

No, that isn't true

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on February 28, 2019, 10:48:52 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2019, 09:53:48 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 28, 2019, 09:48:38 AM
MON traded mediocrity for a shot at immortality

A lot has changed since then though!!
Not much, Leicester did enter the charts with a low calibre bullet in 2016 but have sunk to  65th place in the Uefa club rankings, just below Maribor and before long they will sink to the default level for any EPL club  -  joint 86th,   that's mediocrity.

All that may be true Main Street but it's all about the money and you can't deny that the difference in money available to the 2 clubs is a lot more than it was back then!!

screenexile

Quote from: themac_23 on February 28, 2019, 11:45:32 AM

Petty.

No, that isn't true

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2019, 11:50:17 AM

Petty.

No, that isn't true

#WATP
#CelticUDA

themac_23

Petty.

No, that isn't true

The reason for that is nothing to do with the colours, the Pizza boxes they give out are still red white and blue, nothing to do with supporters not tolerating the colours.

michaelg

Quote from: themac_23 on February 28, 2019, 12:07:00 PM

Petty.

No, that isn't true

The reason for that is nothing to do with the colours, the Pizza boxes they give out are still red white and blue, nothing to do with supporters not tolerating the colours.
So what is the reason then?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 28, 2019, 10:38:08 AM
I don't think Celtic fans are too bothered by Rodgers actually leaving. Short term - they'll probably win everything anyway. Longer term....new manager, cut a few corners financially on Rodgers and bank the compo, probably still well ahead of the pack in Scotland. One bad managerial appointment will probably still not cost them dearly either.

The issue Celtic fans seem to have is that this shows just how far down the food chain the Scottish Premier League has become and where Celtic are, it's hard for them to accept that Leicester City are considered a bigger challenge - but quite clearly, it is.
I'd agree that a bad managerial appt would be a huge problem... but that's the same for all clubs I suppose

Liecester is a big challenge alright... as they are poor. But with millions to spend.
Celtic are a different maybe more pressurised challenge as the margin for error is much tighter.
Tough job on a shoestring.
Different challe goes.
Bigger challenge getting a rubbish team to play well in epl  but easier with zillions to spend. Little or no pressure... for a year or two anyway

Kickham csc

Quote from: michaelg on February 28, 2019, 12:41:07 PM

Petty.

No, that isn't true

To do with stadium colours.

Same happens in the US. The boxes stay the same, but there is a continuity of visual design on the concourse, in Celtics case the primary colour will be green

Dougal Maguire

That response won't satisfy him because it doesn't support his anti Celtic conspiracy theory
Careful now

lynchbhoy

Quote from: michaelg on February 28, 2019, 12:41:07 PM

Petty.

No, that isn't true

The reason for still using dominos traditional red white and blue branding... ?
I'd say that it's because Celtic are not too worried about it.
Having a green stripe in the shops in the decor in celtic park is hardly surprising!!

They haven't done a rangers who had to remove all green straws from shops and directors box plus refuse to sell green pepperami if I recall correctly!!

Celtic nowhere as bad as sevco or the north of Ireland team... so stop trying to make them out to be!