Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 08:42:15 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 11:34:33 AM
Kildare 14/1 to beat Dublin today. The Dublin team would need to take to the pitch mouldy drunk for Kildare to have a squeak. Those odds would probably be bigger if it was anyone else in Leinster. I'm not aware of similar odds in any sport with two teams on the pitch. This is not sport any more and people have better things to be doing than forking out good money to watch their county being humiliated.

After today, and even before it, we will talk about tiers and other solutions. Truth is, inter county is a flawed concept. Dublin are professional or semi professional, call it what you like. I read yesterday that some of them are getting 6k for guest appearances. And good luck to them. But you can't compete with that. Not what it has become. Forget what it was, because that was a different time and place. We're in a different place altogether now, and the gap is being widened by the trappings of success. We're getting towards a county not being able to field a team. If you're a Wicklow player this morning, do you go back for more next year? The GAA are trading on blind loyalty, and I hate them for that.

There are some good footballers/hurlers in Wicklow, Leitrim and every other county in Ireland. It's a sad day when there is no vehicle to allow you to play at the highest level of whatever sport you participate in. Inter county is restrictive and full of inequality and unfairness.
Jeez Louise!

You didn't read that "some of them" are getting €6k for guest appearance, you read than an unnamed source claimed that one of them once received €6k. You didn't read anything about the context behind what the event was and that it was the only time he'd ever received that much and unlikely to do so again. Instead it was written so that idiots would think all the Dubs were out every Friday doing gigs for €6k a pop!

All you have to do is think about it for a second to realise how utterly preposterous it is, but when you want to put the boot into the Dubs, "thinking" doesn't come into it. Do you really think people are going to pay James McCarthy, Niall Scully, Paul Mannion etc etc thousands of pounds to say absolutely nothing!!?? 

The current biggest earners for guest appearances who are still starting players are Aidan O'Shea and Michael Murphy. And I'd bet they turn down a lot more than they accept. The two Dubs who do a bit of it are Bernard and Philly. Bernard does it as part of his business and at this stage everyone knows Philly's motivations. Some of the other Dubs do product endorsements, as do high profile players from Kerry, Mayo, etc.

Nobody comes close to what the Gooch was earning in his last year or two from guest appearances. But he was one of the best ever players at the end of his career, with plenty of stories to tell, so was well worth the money he was getting (and still there's only handful of opportunities)
That'a a bit of a surprise as I'd have put Berno way out in front of the rest. (I take it you have a credible source when you say this. (That is only going by the number of times I see him on TV or in other media outlets of one sort or another. I haven't come across Michael Murphy sponsoring or otherwise advertising anything. In Mayo, I'd have thought Cillian was doing better than anyone else but I have no way of telling or any interest in finding out.
As for players picking up a few bob on the side, all I can say is good luck to them. It's a pity that all players cannot benefit to the same degree but that is no fault of those who can pick up a few quid on the side.
Dunno how much any player is making a by its nature, nixers can lead to hassle from the taxman and nobody wants that.
Lee Chin said in an interview up Paul Kimmage that he was able to take a year off work because of the sponsorship money he was getting. He wouldn't be near the sponsorship potential of any of the Dublin players or the likes of Joe Coooney, Aidan O'Shea or say Aaron Gillane and about 50 others I can think of.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2019, 10:20:29 AM
Combined Semi Final Crowds

Leinster (36,126)
Dublin/Kildare/Laois/Meath

Ulster (34,771)
Cavan/Armagh/Monaghan/Fermanagh/Donegal/Tyrone

Ulster (29,995)
Cavan/Armagh/Tyrone/Donegal

Connacht (25,833)
Galway/Sligo/Mayo/Roscommon

Munster (8,165)
Cork/Limerick/Clare/Kerry

Even a shit Leinster Championship gets more people at their semi-finals.

Was there nobody at Sligo/Galway?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tubberman on June 10, 2019, 10:57:24 AM

Leinster (36,126)

Ulster (34,771)

Ulster (29,995)

Connacht (25,833)

Munster (8,165)

Was there nobody at Sligo/Galway?
A bit over 5k was there at it

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 10, 2019, 10:22:46 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 08:42:15 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 11:34:33 AM
Kildare 14/1 to beat Dublin today. The Dublin team would need to take to the pitch mouldy drunk for Kildare to have a squeak. Those odds would probably be bigger if it was anyone else in Leinster. I'm not aware of similar odds in any sport with two teams on the pitch. This is not sport any more and people have better things to be doing than forking out good money to watch their county being humiliated.

After today, and even before it, we will talk about tiers and other solutions. Truth is, inter county is a flawed concept. Dublin are professional or semi professional, call it what you like. I read yesterday that some of them are getting 6k for guest appearances. And good luck to them. But you can't compete with that. Not what it has become. Forget what it was, because that was a different time and place. We're in a different place altogether now, and the gap is being widened by the trappings of success. We're getting towards a county not being able to field a team. If you're a Wicklow player this morning, do you go back for more next year? The GAA are trading on blind loyalty, and I hate them for that.

There are some good footballers/hurlers in Wicklow, Leitrim and every other county in Ireland. It's a sad day when there is no vehicle to allow you to play at the highest level of whatever sport you participate in. Inter county is restrictive and full of inequality and unfairness.
Jeez Louise!

You didn't read that "some of them" are getting €6k for guest appearance, you read than an unnamed source claimed that one of them once received €6k. You didn't read anything about the context behind what the event was and that it was the only time he'd ever received that much and unlikely to do so again. Instead it was written so that idiots would think all the Dubs were out every Friday doing gigs for €6k a pop!

All you have to do is think about it for a second to realise how utterly preposterous it is, but when you want to put the boot into the Dubs, "thinking" doesn't come into it. Do you really think people are going to pay James McCarthy, Niall Scully, Paul Mannion etc etc thousands of pounds to say absolutely nothing!!?? 

The current biggest earners for guest appearances who are still starting players are Aidan O'Shea and Michael Murphy. And I'd bet they turn down a lot more than they accept. The two Dubs who do a bit of it are Bernard and Philly. Bernard does it as part of his business and at this stage everyone knows Philly's motivations. Some of the other Dubs do product endorsements, as do high profile players from Kerry, Mayo, etc.

Nobody comes close to what the Gooch was earning in his last year or two from guest appearances. But he was one of the best ever players at the end of his career, with plenty of stories to tell, so was well worth the money he was getting (and still there's only handful of opportunities)
That'a a bit of a surprise as I'd have put Berno way out in front of the rest. (I take it you have a credible source when you say this. (That is only going by the number of times I see him on TV or in other media outlets of one sort or another. I haven't come across Michael Murphy sponsoring or otherwise advertising anything. In Mayo, I'd have thought Cillian was doing better than anyone else but I have no way of telling or any interest in finding out.
As for players picking up a few bob on the side, all I can say is good luck to them. It's a pity that all players cannot benefit to the same degree but that is no fault of those who can pick up a few quid on the side.
Dunno how much any player is making a by its nature, nixers can lead to hassle from the taxman and nobody wants that.
Lee Chin said in an interview up Paul Kimmage that he was able to take a year off work because of the sponsorship money he was getting. He wouldn't be near the sponsorship potential of any of the Dublin players or the likes of Joe Coooney, Aidan O'Shea or say Aaron Gillane and about 50 others I can think of.
Absolutely, I mentioned AOS and MM in the context of current starting players, which was in the context of the €6k article and just in terms of money to address an audience. But such opportunities are few and far between, because current players aren't allowed say anything, so paying them to say nothing is just a silly concept.
I haven't been to one of Bernard's but I'd say it's a lot more business focused than football focused.

I was at a Gooch one 2/3 years ago and he was reasonably forthcoming in fairness, and I know he got a nice few quid. But it was a relatively private audience of business people, no press, no recording. I was at another with Paul Geaney a couple of years ago, that was one where the organisers asked the GPA to send a player, not sure how payment worked. And that was previewing another match so he wasn't talking about Kerry much (apart from watch out for Sean O'Shea!)

If you want to pay money to a Dub to speak to an audience, then you'd hardly go to a current player. Alan Brogan would presumably be the most popular given he has knowledge of what it's like under Gavin, and I'd imagine Paul Flynn will start to get some more phone calls. But the idea that there are a group of current players earning money from speaking engagements is just nonsense

Rossfan

Leinster (36,126)

Ulster (34,771)

Ulster (29,995)

Connacht (25,833)

Munster (8,165)

How many from Laois/Meath/Kildare there yesterday?
5,000?
Out of nearly 500,000!!
Mayowestros v rest of Ros 20,471 out of less than 200,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2019, 11:33:04 AM

Leinster (36,126)

Ulster (34,771)

Ulster (29,995)

Connacht (25,833)

Munster (8,165)

How many from Laois/Meath/Kildare there yesterday?
5,000?
Out of nearly 500,000!!
Mayowestros v rest of Ros 20,471 out of less than 200,000.
Walking in, I noticed a couple of instances of a father in a Dubs jersey with kids in tow in Meath jerseys. That was a bit unsettling! 

From the Bunker

The Vendors at Croke Park have to be taking a bit of a hit with all these small crowds. And the Part time Corporate Box Staff must be down a bit on extra cash as well.

But Hey, We need a strong Dublin and we have it!

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 10, 2019, 12:05:08 PM
The Vendors at Croke Park have to be taking a bit of a hit with all these small crowds. And the Part time Corporate Box Staff must be down a bit on extra cash as well.

But Hey, We need a strong Dublin and we have it!

"If you want a picture of Gaelic football's future, imagine a Dublin GAA boot stomping on the human face, forever"

irish345

Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 12:20:06 PM
I personally have no desire to do Dublin down. They're a great team. But i know they have a lot of advantages that other teams can't compete with. I think we need 8 professional teams and let Dublin be one of them. Inter County has never worked. Small counties are irrelevant and can never win anything

would you have two professional teams per province and would we have american style teams like a team called the belfast bears

only positive from that we could have friday night games lol

Owenmoresider

Quote from: irish345 on June 10, 2019, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 09, 2019, 12:20:06 PM
I personally have no desire to do Dublin down. They're a great team. But i know they have a lot of advantages that other teams can't compete with. I think we need 8 professional teams and let Dublin be one of them. Inter County has never worked. Small counties are irrelevant and can never win anything

would you have two professional teams per province and would we have american style teams like a team called the belfast bears

only positive from that we could have friday night games lol
And we just choose whichever team we wanted to support and hop on the bandwagon, no emotional attachment necessary.

Hell, there'd probably be two franchises in Dublin alone. We'd have finally achieved the split when it no longer mattered.

Dinny Breen

€40 for the Leinster SFC final and by extension the JFC final, 40 quid to watch the Kildare Juniors, unbelievable.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2019, 08:22:07 PM
€40 for the Leinster SFC final and by extension the JFC final, 40 quid to watch the Kildare Juniors, unbelievable.
Got a text from my club saying stand 35, hill 25, kids 5

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 09:15:44 PM

Pre purchased. On the day is 40, I can't plan in advance.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 10, 2019, 09:30:08 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 09:15:44 PM

Pre purchased. On the day is 40, I can't plan in advance.

Most people will decide on the day. If it's a nice sunny warm day, then the obvious decision is to go to the beach!  ;D

clonadmad

Year on year to date attendances  based on same number of games

Munster Hurling
2019 180,387
2018 170,104

Leinster

Leinster SF

Ulster SF

Connacht SF

Munster SF

Total Hurling Attendance to date 248,607

Total Football Attendance to date 235,018