Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Might as well get it up and running. Can only see a Dublin win here

WhoDat

it'll be similar to the mayo match in that it'll be a competitive enough first half and then dublin will go for the jugular.  kerry might put up a bigger score than mayo because they have better forwards, but their defence won't be able to hold o'callaghan or mannion. I think fenton is better than moran and if they start mdma as well, kerry will be outgunned in the middle. can't see Dublin going into this game without a plan for clifford and o'shea as well

TheGreatest

Make no mistake here, Kerry will give Dublin a right rattle here. Took them a bit of time to get going yesterday but they did and looked awsome.

Going to be great final, which i have pleasure of attending my 8th final this year( includes replay v Mayo).

yellowcard

I think that this will be a lot closer than people expect. Whatever happens now Kerry can be happy with their season, they have no pressure on them going into the final.

This match has the potential to be the highest scoring final in quite some time since both sides main strengths lie in their attacks. Despite the Dubs dominance they have never blown away any outfit in an AI final and I expect this game to be no different. There are different pressures in a final and these will be ramped up even more as they attempt to become the greatest side in the history of the game. It would be a fool who would back against the Dubs but I think it could be a close contest.   

t_mac

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2019, 01:38:17 PM
Make no mistake here, Kerry will give Dublin a right rattle here. Took them a bit of time to get going yesterday but they did and looked awsome.

Going to be great final, which i have pleasure of attending my 8th final this year( includes replay v Mayo).

No they won't and no it won't.  Might take my son in five years time to see Dublin's 10 in a row, ill start saving now, probably be 300 euro a ticket!

t_mac

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2019, 01:41:14 PM
I think that this will be a lot closer than people expect. Whatever happens now Kerry can be happy with their season, they have no pressure on them going into the final.

This match has the potential to be the highest scoring final in quite some time since both sides main strengths lie in their attacks. Despite the Dubs dominance they have never blown away any outfit in an AI final and I expect this game to be no different. There are different pressures in a final and these will be ramped up even more as they attempt to become the greatest side in the history of the game. It would be a fool who would back against the Dubs but I think it could be a close contest.

2018 at a canter.

tyrone08

No way kerry will put it up to dubs. It will go something like this-close game for 35-45 minutes, dubs step it up and blow kerry defence apart. All pundits will fawn over dublin and say what s wonderful final it was.

Given the ref had to give kerry 5-6 points from non fouls yesterday to beat tyrone there is no way in hell they get those calls against the dubs.

imtommygunn

5 to 6 is gross exaggeration. I rewatched it and I would say 2.

On the rest I would say you are right. I would expect at some point Dublin will dominate as Tyrone did but will make it count on the scoreboard.

yellowcard

Quote from: t_mac on August 12, 2019, 01:43:05 PM

2018 at a canter.

Not a canter but was fairly comfortable but that was the only one in their last 7 finals:

2011 Kerry - 1 point
2013 Mayo - 1 point
2015 Kerry - 3 points
2016 Mayo - Draw
2016 Mayo - 1 point
2017 Mayo - 1 point
2018 - Tyrone - 6 points

So an average winning margin of less than 2 points in AI finals. Anyone who thinks that the Dubs will win this match in a procession does not know football and has been sucked in by all of the hype. It will be a close contest and I think the Dubs are likely winners but they are not playing some dog and duck outfit and they have never produced their best in finals. Add in the pressure of going for 5 in a row and I would give Kerry a chance.

dublin7

2018 at a canter.

Agreed. That game was done at half time. Dubs strolled through the 2nd half and just upped the tempo after the red card to give Tyrone no hope.

If Kerry's defence struggled dealing with just McShane yesterday, how are they going to stop O'Callaghan and Mannion, never mind any of the other forwards. They were all over the place defensively and if Tyrone had pushed on towards the end of the 1st half they could have finished the game.

Dublin clearly ignored the league this year and the Mayo game was perfect test before the final in 3 weeks. All their top players are in form and no injuries to worry about. Kerry's only chance is a couple of early goals. If Dublin get a lead early it could be a long afternoon for Kerry players (many of whom will be appearing in an All Ireland final for the 1st time)

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2019, 01:58:03 PM

2018 at a canter.

Not a canter but was fairly comfortable but that was the only one in their last 7 finals:

2011 Kerry - 1 point
2013 Mayo - 1 point
2015 Kerry - 3 points
2016 Mayo - Draw
2016 Mayo - 1 point
2017 Mayo - 1 point
2018 - Tyrone - 6 points

So an average winning margin of less than 2 points in AI finals. Anyone who thinks that the Dubs will win this match in a procession does not know football and has been sucked in by all of the hype. It will be a close contest and I think the Dubs are likely winners but they are not playing some dog and duck outfit and they have never produced their best in finals. Add in the pressure of going for 5 in a row and I would give Kerry a chance.

I disagree.

I can see Kerry getting a total near 20 points, but I'll be surprised if Dublin don't end up scoring 3-20.

What was the highest scoring final to date?

Hound

Kerry will need to win midfield and get 1 on 1s with our full back line.

Couple of selection dilemmas for Gavin:

O'Sullivan v Macauley
- Cian always plays really well against his parents' county. Looked sharp when he came on on Saturday. MDMA was his usual mix of power and unorthodoxy with that little bit of recklessness thrown in. Saw stats that said he had more possessions than any other Dub in the first half, and I did think at the time he was doing more than most to keep us in the contest at that time. We'll be weaker in the air if McCarthy starts midfield with Cian at 6, which might help give Kerry a foothold. But Cian will give a bit of added protection to the full back line and we'll have the wrecking ball as an impact sub.

Byrne v Fitzsimons v McMahon v Murchan (2 from 4)
- Most would rate Byrne 4th out of these, but formwise he's been the best this championship, and he doubled down on that on Saturday. Possibly his best game in a Dubs jersey. Fitz got a bit of a run around for a while v Carr (I was wondering for a while whether there was a deliberate policy to let them shoot rather than risk giving COC frees, but I don't think so!). Philly's a proven performer in All Ireland finals (and his chances of playing would increase if Tommy Walsh was starting), while Murchan might just be the ideal man to shackle Stephen O'Brien.   My guess is he'll stick with Byrne and Fitz, but it could be any 2.

I'd say Rory and Berno will be doing all they can over the next 2 weeks to try force themselves into the 26, but difficult to see any openings.

imtommygunn

Would McCaffrey not be as well mark O'Brien then he's on the backfoot half the time?

dublin7

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 02:26:21 PM
Kerry will need to win midfield and get 1 on 1s with our full back line.

Couple of selection dilemmas for Gavin:

O'Sullivan v Macauley
- Cian always plays really well against his parents' county. Looked sharp when he came on on Saturday. MDMA was his usual mix of power and unorthodoxy with that little bit of recklessness thrown in. Saw stats that said he had more possessions than any other Dub in the first half, and I did think at the time he was doing more than most to keep us in the contest at that time. We'll be weaker in the air if McCarthy starts midfield with Cian at 6, which might help give Kerry a foothold. But Cian will give a bit of added protection to the full back line and we'll have the wrecking ball as an impact sub.

Byrne v Fitzsimons v McMahon v Murchan (2 from 4)
- Most would rate Byrne 4th out of these, but formwise he's been the best this championship, and he doubled down on that on Saturday. Possibly his best game in a Dubs jersey. Fitz got a bit of a run around for a while v Carr (I was wondering for a while whether there was a deliberate policy to let them shoot rather than risk giving COC frees, but I don't think so!). Philly's a proven performer in All Ireland finals (and his chances of playing would increase if Tommy Walsh was starting), while Murchan might just be the ideal man to shackle Stephen O'Brien.   My guess is he'll stick with Byrne and Fitz, but it could be any 2.

I'd say Rory and Berno will be doing all they can over the next 2 weeks to try force themselves into the 26, but difficult to see any openings.

Berno got hit with an elbow to the jaw at the end of the Tyrone game and it swelled up so much he wasn't considered for Sat. I think he would have made the bench only for that

GalwayBayBoy

Fancy Dublin to won by whatever they want IF they are motivated to do so. They got a test from Mayo (for a half at least) so won't be going in as undercooked into the final. I just don't see how Dublin aren't going to create a good scatter of clear goal chances against a defence that is more porous than Mayo's. Maybe if they are not as clinical and don't take them it might make the game relatively close for a good stretch. Dublin have a tendency to start slowly in these games before ramping it up so maybe Kerry can take advantage of that and get an early lead on them but either way I can only see one winner.