Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Love the way the same old lads get upset every time someone starts a thread like this.  ;D

Hurling is the greatest game there is. This year's Championship has been wonderful.
Aristo 60 enjoy the game, should be a good one.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyHarp

Quote from: babarino on August 11, 2013, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2013, 04:13:52 PM
Why do we get this every time we see a half decent game of hurling?

If it had been football do you think Treacy would have scored that goal for Dublin?

With a few mins to go Cork were quite happy to drag down a Dublin forward so not to concede a goal and concede a 21 yard free instead.
That was never a square ball!!

neilthemac

where's Joe Brolly when ya need him?

muppet

Quote from: neilthemac on August 11, 2013, 05:25:39 PM
where's Joe Brolly when ya need him?

Probably bollocking Bambi somewhere.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Tyrone have ruined football, they don't have much influence in hurlıng.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

haze

The 2013 hurling championship has been unbelievably entertaining but that has been almost entirely due to its undpredictability and the ending of the Kilkenny/Tipp duopoly rather than the actual games themselves. Today's game was the first old school classic and I like a lot of others got caught up in it and despaired a little for this years football championship.

Give me Armagh Tyrone 05 any day over Dublin Cork today, in fact give me bad football over mediocre hurling but when there is an epic hurling game it is hard not understand that from, the casual observer of Gaelic Games to the hardcore hurling snobs, might think hurling is the greatest game of all.

Ultimate irony for this years hurling championship is that Cork can still continue the big 3's 15 year stranglehold on the Liam McCarthy whereas in football we could possibly see out 6th different winner in 6 years.

muppet

Quote from: haze on August 11, 2013, 08:31:31 PM
The 2013 hurling championship has been unbelievably entertaining but that has been almost entirely due to its undpredictability and the ending of the Kilkenny/Tipp duopoly rather than the actual games themselves. Today's game was the first old school classic and I like a lot of others got caught up in it and despaired a little for this years football championship.

Give me Armagh Tyrone 05 any day over Dublin Cork today, in fact give me bad football over mediocre hurling but when there is an epic hurling game it is hard not understand that from, the casual observer of Gaelic Games to the hardcore hurling snobs, might think hurling is the greatest game of all.

Ultimate irony for this years hurling championship is that Cork can still continue the big 3's 15 year stranglehold on the Liam McCarthy whereas in football we could possibly see out 6th different winner in 6 years.

MWWSI 2017

Aaron Boone

Exactly.
Cork, Tipp & Kilkenny have won 90 of the Hurling All-Ireland's. Cork to win it this year for me.

trileacman

Delighted to see Kilkenny toppled. They were destroying Hurling as a spectator sport for me.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

Quote from: haze on August 11, 2013, 08:31:31 PM

As i said, if football decided to make their Code Elite and we had only 10 teams competing for Sam. If there was two provincial titles on offer North West with Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Down, Galway and South East with Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Meath, Kildare. You'd have a really big game every week in the front door and big games in the back door from June to September. The provincial titles would be much bigger and harder to win and hold more weight. The teams/Counties involved would get better from the top class games, bigger gates and the pundits would turn into the hurling pundits praising the games every week.

The rest would be left in the lower tiered Cups drifting into oblivion and fading at ever becoming major powers or even entertaining it. But sure we could still marvel at the Elite teams, their great skills, their great squads and their yearly push for an ALL IRELAND ! An All Ireland with 10 teams competing in it! But sure the we'd be reassured by the pundits that even boring one sided games had great skill and it was the best game in the world.

DJGaliv

Isn't hurling great?
Few men can master the stick work (niche sport in 10 counties or when sliothar is on the floor an arse measuring contest), majestic physicality, passion (pulling across a mans chest) and drama (shockingly inconsistent refereeing with no defined tackle as in gaelic football).  To be honest I don't know which side I believe.

Lets not analyse it too much or point at the flaws. You rarely hear the self reflection in the analysis of a hurling game. Is that a lesson for Gaelic football?
However the constant screaming of hurling fans about how great it is tells me the lady doth protest too much. The game is spun by lads that want to spread the gospel of hurling. Cyril Farrell and Ger Loughnane - great hurling men. When have you heard anyone called a great football man?

Today there was plenty of short passing, Cork player going down fairly easily clutching his face through his helmet to get the Dublin lad his second yellow, and terrible inconsistent refereeing. You want to talk about defining the tackle in Gaelic football? Give my head peace.

But hey, what a game.

For me it's like the stupid hot hairdresser you see. I wouldn't never leave my beautiful intelligent wife (gaelic football) for her, but there's an odd night you'd be tempted to book a hotel room.

As I said, hurling - isn't it great, but let's not scratch beneath the surface too much.

trileacman

Watched the last 10 mins of the Dublin-Mayo semi last year and it was a cracker now that I look back on it. The semi-finals usually through up a top match every year in both codes.

Funny how when we see a fantastic match in football (Kerry-Galway 08), (Tyrone-Armagh 05), (Mayo- Dublin 06) never does some-one voice the opinion "wasn't it better than seeing the Cats bore their way to an All-Ireland" but when there is a decent hurling match the occasion cannot pass without a "jaysus that was better than a football " comment.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2013, 10:46:31 PM

Funny how when we see a fantastic match in football (Kerry-Galway 08), (Tyrone-Armagh 05), (Mayo- Dublin 06) never does some-one voice the opinion "wasn't it better than seeing the Cats bore their way to an All-Ireland" but when there is a decent hurling match the occasion cannot pass without a "jaysus that was better than a football " comment.

That's an excellent observation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2013, 11:21:22 PM
You will hear, "how could you watch soccer after that?" and other ballbaggy comments though.

Let's not pretend that Gaelic football fans are far removed from sport snobbery.

That is true too. But I've never heard football fans denigrate hurling.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.