County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 11, 2017, 12:55:08 PM
Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 11:54:42 AM
I'm not too bothered about Carew going, I wouldn't be anywhere near as critical as some on here about his tenure - a Connacht final and retaining Div 3 status in a major transitional period for us is not bad all considered though the collapses against Mayo in 2015 and Roscommon in 2016 were humiliating at the time. I know our club men only had good things to say about him and that it was the most professional set up they had been involved with in Sligo.

What happens from here is now what matters, we're still in a major transitional stage and have quite a promising batch coming through. There are no real candidates in the county, O'Hara looks like the best choice internally but I'd have sever reservations about him being the main man.

If we can stay in Div 3 over the next two years and manage not to humiliate ourselves then we'll hopefully be able to aim a little higher when when the bulk of these young members currently on the panel have more experience and bulked up physically.

A manager can only deal with the hand he is dealt with, it's good to see the performances of our underage teams in recent years but having gone to see a few of the club championship games in recent weeks, it really would wipe any enthusiasm about Sligo football away from you. There are clubs with big picks currently there like Harps, Johns, Marys, Coolera/Strandhill and Molaise Gaels that should certainly be able to challenge for club honours in Connacht. We are absolutely miles behind other counties in terms of tactical and physical conditioning of our club footballers. The enormity of the step up between club football in Sligo and intercounty football is the biggest problem facing Sligo football right now.

Without meaning to be disrespectful of certain players but there are a few lads on the panel now who have been involved for the last 4/5 years who are nowhere near the level but the sad thing is they're probably the best of what's out there. The top senior club sides in Sligo are probably at about the same level as the top club junior sides in Galway and Mayo. Does any club in Sligo have their own proper S&C base?

I heard the same regarding professional and all that, I was pretty heavily involved in the last 6 yrs at club level and with u21 county, etc.. this professional stuff gets bandied about alot, being professional is the easiest part of managing imo anybody can do it, from planning training sessions, food, gameday bus timings, water, etc... but to be honest Ive seen very little little evidence of Managers who are good organisers/professional, good man managers, good tacticians before and ingames, etc.. ie the full package, Carew was not good man manager, he treated players very differently where committment was concerned, some players could come in half way through the year, others couldnt take a holiday early season, he was very poor on player positioning, tactics and gameplans, Its alright getting the admin stuff right and putting out cones etc.. but its even more important to get the other stuff right, 3 yrs he was there and the strength and conditioning of some players wasnt up to scratch imo, the 2015 collapse more should of been learned, he has to take responsibility for that,

I agree on O Hara, its too early but wonder why you have severe reservations?

Your absolutely spot on regards our club footballers and the physical conditioning. County board should be leading the way but our clubs are full of dinosaurs and poor coaches with no knowledge of any of this. Even our injury management seems to be so poor and rehab we seem to always get it wrong. We need a complete revamp of County Board but our clubs are too passive and dont seem to really care about the state of the game, some think its a nrs game and thats it, pats on the back all round.

I think O'Hara needs another few years before he's ready.

Only so much blame can be placed on the county board. The facilities clubs have in Sligo are pretty much appalling. Apart from Tourlestrane and perhaps Bunninadden, there are so few well run clubs in Sligo. Look at the likes of Johns and Harps, big clubs with big picks and they're so far off the scene now. Curry are an absolute rabble now as well. West Sligo has been in a state for years. It's grand blaming the county board for everything but clubs have to get up and take action themselves.

I have a lot of relatives up North and the effort clubs go to in order to obtain good facilities and infrastructure is a great credit to them. It seems to be a real community effort there, with the exception of Tourlestrane there is a real lack of clubs driving the community and sparking involvement. I think there is a great urgency for clubs to take it on themselves to make things happen, rather than wait for the county board to sort things out.
Sligo's biggest problem is the GAA is not the heart of our communities and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Have you ever seen such poor attendance of club games as Sligo? I agree on the facilities etc..

Do you not think as custodians of the game the County Board could do more?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Orchard park

surely the LOI cannot last another 5 years and the "bitofred" will disappear into a myriad of revolving junior clubs.......

then perhaps city clubs will get the finger out and establish GAA as the premier sport in the most populated parts. west sligo like nost of rural Connacht is fucked population wise

magpie seanie

Quote from: Orchard park on September 11, 2017, 04:04:50 PM
surely the LOI cannot last another 5 years and the "bitofred" will disappear into a myriad of revolving junior clubs.......

then perhaps city clubs will get the finger out and establish GAA as the premier sport in the most populated parts. west sligo like nost of rural Connacht is fucked population wise

Truth is there aren't any "city" clubs. Mary's, John's, Calry - all clubs based outside or on the edge of the town with very little traction the closer you go to the town centre. When a club was set up in the centre of the town they made it their business (some of them) to make things awkward for them and eventually it was shut down. At the very least we need one or more underage clubs set up in the centre of Sligo town. Soccer will always be number 1 in the centre of the town but not everyone can live the dream of making it at the Showgrounds  :-\ and certainly I think this should be an initiative lead and backed by the county board. In much the same way as Dublin got a coaching plan backed financially by Croke Park we should be able to come up with something to get us a foothold in our most populated area.

St Molaise Gaels should be acknowledged as a well run club. They've a big area but like Dublin no one cared about that when they were doing poorly. They're strong at all underage levels and have won a senior league. They're an example of what can be done.

Leaving it all up to the clubs is all good and well but you'll get the same results you've always got. We need some radical thinking and good plans, followed through with passion.

rodney trotter

Pillar Caffrey being mentioned for the Louth job.Rory Gallagher to return to Fermana.gh

Orchard park

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 11, 2017, 04:22:17 PM

Truth is there aren't any "city" clubs. Mary's, John's, Calry - all clubs based outside or on the edge of the town with very little traction the closer you go to the town centre. When a club was set up in the centre of the town they made it their business (some of them) to make things awkward for them and eventually it was shut down. At the very least we need one or more underage clubs set up in the centre of Sligo town. Soccer will always be number 1 in the centre of the town but not everyone can live the dream of making it at the Showgrounds  :-\ and certainly I think this should be an initiative lead and backed by the county board. In much the same way as Dublin got a coaching plan backed financially by Croke Park we should be able to come up with something to get us a foothold in our most populated area.

St Molaise Gaels should be acknowledged as a well run club. They've a big area but like Dublin no one cared about that when they were doing poorly. They're strong at all underage levels and have won a senior league. They're an example of what can be done.

Leaving it all up to the clubs is all good and well but you'll get the same results you've always got. We need some radical thinking and good plans, followed through with passion.

I suppose more accurate would be co board get finger out and enable any club drawing from the city population to develop further. I'd have though from afar that marys were getting the house in order... I was counting the 3 you listed as city clubs but understand not strictly speaking. Is Molaise the new(er) name of Grange / Cliffoney

sligoman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 11, 2017, 03:09:25 PM
Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 11, 2017, 12:55:08 PM
Quote from: sligoman on September 11, 2017, 11:54:42 AM
I'm not too bothered about Carew going, I wouldn't be anywhere near as critical as some on here about his tenure - a Connacht final and retaining Div 3 status in a major transitional period for us is not bad all considered though the collapses against Mayo in 2015 and Roscommon in 2016 were humiliating at the time. I know our club men only had good things to say about him and that it was the most professional set up they had been involved with in Sligo.

What happens from here is now what matters, we're still in a major transitional stage and have quite a promising batch coming through. There are no real candidates in the county, O'Hara looks like the best choice internally but I'd have sever reservations about him being the main man.

If we can stay in Div 3 over the next two years and manage not to humiliate ourselves then we'll hopefully be able to aim a little higher when when the bulk of these young members currently on the panel have more experience and bulked up physically.

A manager can only deal with the hand he is dealt with, it's good to see the performances of our underage teams in recent years but having gone to see a few of the club championship games in recent weeks, it really would wipe any enthusiasm about Sligo football away from you. There are clubs with big picks currently there like Harps, Johns, Marys, Coolera/Strandhill and Molaise Gaels that should certainly be able to challenge for club honours in Connacht. We are absolutely miles behind other counties in terms of tactical and physical conditioning of our club footballers. The enormity of the step up between club football in Sligo and intercounty football is the biggest problem facing Sligo football right now.

Without meaning to be disrespectful of certain players but there are a few lads on the panel now who have been involved for the last 4/5 years who are nowhere near the level but the sad thing is they're probably the best of what's out there. The top senior club sides in Sligo are probably at about the same level as the top club junior sides in Galway and Mayo. Does any club in Sligo have their own proper S&C base?

I heard the same regarding professional and all that, I was pretty heavily involved in the last 6 yrs at club level and with u21 county, etc.. this professional stuff gets bandied about alot, being professional is the easiest part of managing imo anybody can do it, from planning training sessions, food, gameday bus timings, water, etc... but to be honest Ive seen very little little evidence of Managers who are good organisers/professional, good man managers, good tacticians before and ingames, etc.. ie the full package, Carew was not good man manager, he treated players very differently where committment was concerned, some players could come in half way through the year, others couldnt take a holiday early season, he was very poor on player positioning, tactics and gameplans, Its alright getting the admin stuff right and putting out cones etc.. but its even more important to get the other stuff right, 3 yrs he was there and the strength and conditioning of some players wasnt up to scratch imo, the 2015 collapse more should of been learned, he has to take responsibility for that,

I agree on O Hara, its too early but wonder why you have severe reservations?

Your absolutely spot on regards our club footballers and the physical conditioning. County board should be leading the way but our clubs are full of dinosaurs and poor coaches with no knowledge of any of this. Even our injury management seems to be so poor and rehab we seem to always get it wrong. We need a complete revamp of County Board but our clubs are too passive and dont seem to really care about the state of the game, some think its a nrs game and thats it, pats on the back all round.

I think O'Hara needs another few years before he's ready.

Only so much blame can be placed on the county board. The facilities clubs have in Sligo are pretty much appalling. Apart from Tourlestrane and perhaps Bunninadden, there are so few well run clubs in Sligo. Look at the likes of Johns and Harps, big clubs with big picks and they're so far off the scene now. Curry are an absolute rabble now as well. West Sligo has been in a state for years. It's grand blaming the county board for everything but clubs have to get up and take action themselves.

I have a lot of relatives up North and the effort clubs go to in order to obtain good facilities and infrastructure is a great credit to them. It seems to be a real community effort there, with the exception of Tourlestrane there is a real lack of clubs driving the community and sparking involvement. I think there is a great urgency for clubs to take it on themselves to make things happen, rather than wait for the county board to sort things out.
Sligo's biggest problem is the GAA is not the heart of our communities and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Have you ever seen such poor attendance of club games as Sligo? I agree on the facilities etc..

Do you not think as custodians of the game the County Board could do more?

Of course they could but clubs shouldn't be sitting around and waiting for other people to do things, they should be proactive and try and enforce the change itself. To a certain extent I'd disagree with that GAA is not at the heart of the community, the Sligo support is pretty decent, for the qualifiers this year we drew quite large crowds for the home game with Antrim and away game with Meath with little expectation. Maybe in North Sligo and the town, there's not as much appetite until the bandwagon rolls around but in the south and west of the country there would be every bit as much appetite for gaelic football than in the south of the county.

I think the problem with the clubs is more centred on lack of identity in the club. I remember in a former job I worked out in Finisklin, there were two lads from the Harps club - one who had played for them through the underage ranks and another who would have been 20 years or so older. They hadn't an idea who the other one was when they started working and when we were chatting at lunch one day they were saying they lived about a 25 minute drive apart despite both living in the club boundaries - this wouldn't be something that would be unique to Harps either, Shamrock Gaels, Molaise Gaels off the top of my head would also cover huge areas. If you look at Monaghan which would be a similar size to Sligo they have more than double the no of clubs if I'm thinking rightly.

For me the whole club structure in the county is rotten and at the hub of every failing of GAA in Sligo. The County Board can do little about this unless groups from these communities decide that it needs to change, I know there would have been a lot of bad blood about some of the amalgamations in the past.

I don't really see soccer as much of a deterrent any more to be honest. It exists fine with the GAA, the biggest problem seems to be retaining players when they leave underage - Johns are a team that has had so many standout underage players who have never made any real impact at senior level. Rugby has probably become more of a threat in the town with a few promising underage GAA players dabbling with the rugby club in Sligo in recent years.

sligoman

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 11, 2017, 04:22:17 PM

Molaise Gaels have a huge area. Amalgamations are a bandaid to a festering sore.

Sligo football would be benifitting much more if they had three clubs in this area all fielding teams. Ultimately amalgamations like Shamrock Gaels, Eastern Harps and Molaise Gaels fail Sligo football - they are pulled out of thin air because certain individuals are too big in their boots to suck up a few years in the lower levels and build their team up.

Look at the state Harps and Shamrock Gaels are in now. How much of a success are Molaise Gaels for a club of their size and cachement area?

FermGael

Rory to be confirmed tonight .
Interesting back room team if rumours are to be believed
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Captain Obvious

Quote from: FermGael on September 11, 2017, 07:51:12 PM
Rory to be confirmed tonight .
Interesting back room team if rumours are to be believed
His rumored back room team would want to be a good as outright manager Rory is a downgrade from Pete McGrath.

FermGael

Rory Gallagher ratified with Ryan 'Ricey' McMenamin as assistant
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

skeog

Captain Obvious

Tubberman

Quote from: FermGael on September 11, 2017, 08:56:26 PM
Rory Gallagher ratified with Ryan 'Ricey' McMenamin as assistant

That won't end well
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

The Subbie

I can't believe Fermanagh didn't even consider the Banty.
He could have revolutionised Fermanagh football with his free flowing , stylish , open brand of football  ::)

In hiding