The Ryder Cup 2014 - Gleneagles

Started by laoislad, September 02, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:21 PM
Can we just all agree that it is just a big jolly every couple of years for the players, they get a week off from their respective tours to get together with their mates, play a few rounds and have a few beers at the end of it.

It is all very nicey nicey, no one really falls out and they are all good chaps. The spectators rock up have a few jars and embarrass themselves with some ridiculous chanting for a few days and sure its all good craic.

I don't think it's a jolly. The Europeans genuinely seem to get 'into' it, while the Americans look to be seriously pissed off to be losing.

I am just a bit fed up listening to sickly sweet descriptions of it over the past few weeks, not helped by the hyped up sky coverage.

Yes the players get into it when they are playing, but it is hard for me to decipher how much of that is genuine.

People ranking it up there with one of the great sporting events to me doesnt ring true. Might be being slightly harsh but it all seems a bit forced and slightly false for me.

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on September 30, 2014, 02:47:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2014, 02:32:21 PM
Can we just all agree that it is just a big jolly every couple of years for the players, they get a week off from their respective tours to get together with their mates, play a few rounds and have a few beers at the end of it.

It is all very nicey nicey, no one really falls out and they are all good chaps. The spectators rock up have a few jars and embarrass themselves with some ridiculous chanting for a few days and sure its all good craic.

I don't think it's a jolly. The Europeans genuinely seem to get 'into' it, while the Americans look to be seriously pissed off to be losing.

Indeed. These lads are professional athletes and pride more than anything would mean they're not going to f**k about on a stage as big as the Ryder Cup. Also seeing Olazabal's reaction the last time they won it would prove that it's far from a jolly for a lot of the lads!

But that reaction is a side issue, he reacted that way because he lost a close friend who also liked this competition?

It wasnt really anything to do with the competition itself, if you see what I mean.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
Captain in golf seems to be the most bizarrely celebrated and blamed role in sport. I see him as a facilitator, let the players play, and make sure things are in place for them around the actual golf itself. The locker room, the meeting rooms etc. After that, it's like Under 12 C. Make sure everyone gets a game at some stage, and try not to take off your best players. I'd say a lot of people would make a good stab at it.

;D That's a great analogy.