The Ryder Cup 2014 - Gleneagles

Started by laoislad, September 02, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 02, 2014, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 02, 2014, 04:59:24 PM
There has been only one truly awful captain, and that was Halimony Sutton, and he had the misfortune to be up against one of the few truly outstanding captains in Bernhard Langer. It's down to the players.

Nick Faldo was awful too.

Cringeworthy.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: deiseach on September 02, 2014, 05:12:54 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 02, 2014, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 02, 2014, 04:59:24 PM
There has been only one truly awful captain, and that was Halimony Sutton, and he had the misfortune to be up against one of the few truly outstanding captains in Bernhard Langer. It's down to the players.

Nick Faldo was awful too.

He got the PR all wrong, but the Americans were in the zone that weekend. I don't think anyone could have made a difference.

DJ Spooney was a vice captain. He got more than the PR all wrong!

deiseach

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 02, 2014, 05:16:25 PM
DJ Spooney was a vice captain. He got more than the PR all wrong!

;D Point taken!

thewobbler

Ryder Cup captaincy is probably the most overstated role in sport.

It's an ambassadorial role more than anything else, and Paul is a fine ambassador.

It's possible that an awful captain could demotivate things and manage to influence a loss, but they have absolutely no way to influence a victory. Golf just isn't a team sport in that way, it's all down to individual vs individual.

By the way, course knowledge and suitability are two of the prime factors in success at every level of the sport, from the Rorys down to the society golfer. Look at Gallacher's career stats at Gleneagles and you'll see that he always had to be first pick.

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2014, 05:42:10 PM
Ryder Cup captaincy is probably the most overstated role in sport.

It's an ambassadorial role more than anything else, and Paul is a fine ambassador.

It's possible that an awful captain could demotivate things and manage to influence a loss, but they have absolutely no way to influence a victory. Golf just isn't a team sport in that way, it's all down to individual vs individual.

By the way, course knowledge and suitability are two of the prime factors in success at every level of the sport, from the Rorys down to the society golfer. Look at Gallacher's career stats at Gleneagles and you'll see that he always had to be first pick.

Totall disagree with your take on the captaincy role.  Granted the captain doesn't play but other than that he influences the rest of the team in the same way that any captain does for any team.

The non-playing thing is more than offset by the responsibility that he assumes in being the man who picks the team.

heganboy

this should be a reasonably straightforward european victory. Even with the jingoistic behavior of their clients Paddy Power are still offering a hefty 2.62 for the US to lift the cup...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

captain's picks in today for the US Simpson Bradley and Mahan, for Europe, Westwood, Poulter and Gallacher.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

thewobbler

Quote from: heganboy on September 02, 2014, 07:45:16 PM
this should be a reasonably straightforward european victory. Even with the jingoistic behavior of their clients Paddy Power are still offering a hefty 2.62 for the US to lift the cup...

I don't honestly think you can draw an accurate form chart for matchplay golf from strokeplay form. They're completely different mental pressures, and it's mostly a mental game for the top pros.

And even if you do, yep Europe are top heavy with the best players, but in a straight-up 12-man singles match where the best players face off against each other, USA would actually be winning on world rankings 8-4.

https://news.yahoo.com/world-ranking-comparison-ryder-cup-teams-001542490--golf.html

America are a very good price here.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: thewobbler on September 03, 2014, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: heganboy on September 02, 2014, 07:45:16 PM

I don't honestly think you can draw an accurate form chart for matchplay golf from strokeplay form. They're completely different mental pressures, and it's mostly a mental game for the top pros.

And even if you do, yep Europe are top heavy with the best players, but in a straight-up 12-man singles match where the best players face off against each other, USA would actually be winning on world rankings 8-4.

https://news.yahoo.com/world-ranking-comparison-ryder-cup-teams-001542490--golf.html

America are a very good price here.

If you rejigged that list, Europe could also win the match ups 9-3.  ;)
There is no rankings mis-match like in previous years, so it will hardly be a factor. Not that it was a reliable compass. 119th ranked Phillip Price beating 2nd ranked Phil Mickelson et al.

Not having Tiger Woods in the team is probably a plus for the USA. Was it just a coincidence that their only win in this Millennium occurred when he wasn't on the team?

9 - 3 to Europe!

1-Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland) 7-Jim Furyk   

3-Henrik Stenson (Sweden) 8-Matt Kuchar   

4-Sergio Garcia (Spain) 9-Bubba Watson   

5-Justin Rose (Britain) 10-Phil Mickelson   

12-Martin Kaymer (Germany)    14-Jordan Spieth

16-Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland)    19-Jimmy Walker

21-Victor Dubuisson (France)    23-Keegan Bradley

26-Thomas Bjorn (Denmark)    27-Patrick Reed

28-Jamie Donaldson (Wales)    32-Webb Simpson

36-Ian Poulter (England)    11-Rickie Fowler

38-Lee Westwood (England)    15-Zach Johnson

33-Stephen Gallacher (Scotland)    20-Hunter Mahan

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 02, 2014, 03:19:30 PM
Is Stew using "we" as an American? Because that's the only thing I can think of.

There's little to no excitement about this years contest on the American side of things TV and media wise.

Why would I do  that? I am not a yank.

You are more Canadian than Irish at this stage, and to be fair uf you cannot ascertain that I am a european from my post you are a dolt!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 03, 2014, 02:12:59 PM
Woah. Relax stew.

I am relaxed, I just hate stupid!

McGinley will go down as one of the worst captains ever, Donald should be on that team and should be one of the main men. Gallagher is shite compared to him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bingo

Quote from: stew on September 03, 2014, 02:17:53 PM
Woah. Relax stew.

McGinley will go down as one of the worst captains ever, Donald should be on that team and should be one of the main men. Gallagher is shite compared to him.

;D

Sidney

Woah. Relax stew.

Gallacher has a terrible career matchplay record. P7 L7 in singles. His fourballs and foursomes record is nothing to write home about either.

Donald on the other hand has a superb record of W10 L4 H1 in Ryder Cups.

McGinley is out of his depth here - reminiscent of David Moyes.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on September 04, 2014, 10:29:45 AM
Woah. Relax stew.

Gallacher has a terrible career matchplay record. P7 L7 in singles. His fourballs and foursomes record is nothing to write home about either.

Donald on the other hand has a superb record of W10 L4 H1 in Ryder Cups.

McGinley is out of his depth here - reminiscent of David Moyes.

I know I shouldn't but......Why is he out of his depth?
MWWSI 2017