PGCE part time

Started by blewuporstuffed, July 15, 2009, 02:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Anyone of the many teachers on the board do their pgce part time?
I have my degree and have been working for about 3/4 years now since graduation and was thinking of going back and doing my pgce or trying to do it part time.Anyone any views
I see open university offer it aprt time,but is this looked upon 'as good' as getting one from st marys/queens etc?
What are the job prospects like for teaching at the min? would probably be in technology & design
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 15, 2009, 02:49:03 PM
Anyone of the many teachers on the board do their pgce part time?
I have my degree and have been working for about 3/4 years now since graduation and was thinking of going back and doing my pgce or trying to do it part time.Anyone any views
I see open university offer it aprt time,but is this looked upon 'as good' as getting one from st marys/queens etc?
What are the job prospects like for teaching at the min? would probably be in technology & design
There should be no reason why a part-time PGCE would count for less than one achieved through the traditional route. As most teachers have never worked a day in their life in the real world, I'd argue that you would potentially have more to offer by way of real life experience rather than something picked up in a classroom. Your biggest problem post-qualification is the old boys network allocating jobs in schools.

Under Lights

Can anyone provide an update on basically what the OP reads on this thread. Something my wife has been looking into.

hurlingstick

Job prospects are zero. You have two choices. Sub for the next ten years or go to England where you'll get a job in the morning. The third option is if you know a Principal or VP they will get you a temp post at some stage!

Kidder81

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 30, 2014, 05:58:34 PM
Job prospects are zero. You have two choices. Sub for the next ten years or go to England where you'll get a job in the morning. The third option is if you know a Principal or VP they will get you a temp post at some stage!

Why are they sill training so many here when the job prospects are so bad ?

theskull1

Was there not something like only 2 newly qualified teacher that got full time positions last year?

Falling numbers and no early retirement deal will keep it this way for a while I'd say
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hurlingstick

Skull/kidder both right! They hadn't the foresight years back to reduce numbers training. The result now is hundreds of teachers who spent years training working in call centres.

Here lies the main issue however. The majority of positions are filled by people in the know as employment is not centralized. P/vp's can give sons, daughters, friends etc posts and keep them TEMPORARILY in them for several years after which time employment law states that they must be given a contract.

There are exceptions of course but they're minimal! I know of schools with 3/4 members of one family in positions.

Corrupt.

hurlingstick

Quote from: hardstation on September 30, 2014, 06:30:45 PM
Teachers retiring and going straight back into teaching wouldn't be a great help either.

Another big issue Hardstation, you're correct. They have made a small step to address this by putting retirees at the bottom of the pay scale. It's not much of a deterrent however.