Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Waterford had no chance without another tour de force from Gleeson and he just didn't have it today. Fully deserved from Galway and Waterford will be back.

straightred

Quote from: gallsman on September 03, 2017, 11:18:05 PM
Waterford had no chance without another tour de force from Gleeson and he just didn't have it today. Fully deserved from Galway and Waterford will be back.

When they got ahead in the 2nd half i thought they might just do it. Needed to push on at that time but couldn't. Small margins

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2017, 05:21:29 PM
Delighted for Galway Hurling. Hopefully we get to see Liam in our Small Hurling Club in Mayo! Heart goes out to Waterford - it's not easy!
Hard on them alright. Would have loved to see them win.
Galway always looked liked they had enough to win imo even when Waterford went a point up.
Didn't think it was a classic or anything myself but decent enough game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AZOffaly

Declan

Delighted for Galway. Much the better team and thoroughly deserved

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Declan on September 04, 2017, 08:15:48 AM

Yeah, I thought so too.  Delighted to see Joe Canning get an AI.  One of the modern greats.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fat Angry Motorist on September 04, 2017, 10:25:19 AM

Yeah, I thought so too.  Delighted to see Joe Canning get an AI.  One of the modern greats.

+1

north_antrim_hound

Well done to Galway
Best team on the day
I really thought Waterford would win but hats of to Galway sideline
The subs had a major impacts
Niall Burke scored and won a free
Flynn got three
A Gleeson made mc ilnerneys job very easy
david Burke was superb
Great game 
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

GaillimhIarthair

So much this - absolutely thrilled for him and also David Burke - great to win after so many losses over the years.

theskull1

Hats off the Galway. They could have buckled in the second half like they've done in the recent past but they manned up in the last quarter and took the game by the scruff of the neck when it could've got away from them. Great to see hungry subs coming on and making such a massive impact on the game. Their introduction kick started that scoring phase in the second half when Waterford took the lead. Gutted for Kevin Moran to miss that easy score which no doubt took the wind out of their sails. Jamie Barrons flu the week of the game definitely played a part in Waterfords struggle to link up with their forward line in the second half forcing them to go route 1 instead giving Maurice little chance with Aidan Harte sweeping behind the dropping ball.
Always great to see hurlers who've been on the wrong end of it on so many occasions finally get what they deserve. I'd love to see Waterford lift it next year with the Brick and Moran playing their part.

On a separate note .....Newstalk coverage over the past few days has been tip top. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 04, 2017, 10:45:13 AM

So much this - absolutely thrilled for him and also David Burke - great to win after so many losses over the years.

Galway the better team, no doubt. Two really poor goals (from Callanans POV) kept Waterford in the game when Galway were doing all the hurling and scoring some great points, but made it interesting all the same.

Much has been made of Austin Gleeson but he's a young lad with a lot of maturing to do yet and needs to keep his head out of the clouds and play for the team which he showed glimpses of yesterday with his pass up the line rather than a 100 yard hail mary in the first half. He'll get other chances as Waterford have the bones of a good team there BUT you don't replace the likes of Brick Walsh and Kevin Moran easily. Moran has an outstanding year all in and no doubt that easy miss in the second half when the game was still tight will cause him many's a sleepless night. He can be proud of his efforts. A fantastic hurler and leader for Waterford over the years. Jamie Barrons footwork and balance  at full tilt is something else all the same.

Galway finally made it over the line and that's good to see for hurling in general. Some of the demons of the past were buried yesterday as they didn't capitulate when Waterford got back into the game. They kept picking off the points to keep the 3 point lead on the homestraight. The bench did indeed make a difference when called upon and that's now required as David Burke was a busted flush when he was withdrawn and we will see more of that side of the game in the years to come. Benches will need to be stronger as you can no longer have the first 15 stay on the whole game.

mouview

Wonderful day to be a Galway supporter in CP.

Not a classic final but the quality of some of the scores taken was excellent, especially Galway's in the opening spell when they couldn't miss. Goals make a game and Deise's kept them in it when the tide was against them. Was really worried about the 45th minute when Waterford were a point ahead and crucially missed an easy chance to extend it. David Burke said "Lads, this is not happening again" and Galway regrouped, helped in no small way by the subs' impact. (Think we would really have pushed on at the end had Jayo steadied up and put us 5 up with his missed chance.) Missed frees at the end were hugely costly for the Deise when they needed to build momentum again. Joy, elation, relief at the final whistle.

Fair play to Waterford, they died with their boots on, and their supporters were very gracious afterwards in spite of immense disappointment. Delighted for JC, our GOAT in my opinion. McInerney as HOTY (Sunday Game) was left-field but fully deserved as he's had a terrific year; great as well to see accolades for all other Galway players on the 2017 Team. Padraig Mannion worthy of an honourable mention while Harte is distinctly unlucky to miss out.

Minors' outstanding win was the icing on the cake. Incredible to beat KK and a strongly-tipped Cork in the one year. Geoff Lynskey, maybe even more than Micheal Donohoe, is manager of the year.

Can't wait til next year already. Now for the homecoming.