Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfordlad

Great win for Waterford last night. Kilkenny were the only team we hadn't beaten in championship since we came out of the doldrums in 1998 so finally we got over the line against them. We nearly threw it away in last 15 minutes failing to score and letting Kilkenny back in. Great performance again in extra time and when Shanahan got the 4th that finished it and even Kilkenny weren't coming back from that. Tadgh De Burca was brilliant and so was Jamie Barron.
Quarter final draw is probably tomorrow so I assume the losing provincial finalists and qualifier winners are on opposite sides so it'll be Clare or Wexford v Tipperary or Waterford.

Kilkevan

Quote from: waterfordlad on July 09, 2017, 07:42:04 PM
Great win for Waterford last night. Kilkenny were the only team we hadn't beaten in championship since we came out of the doldrums in 1998 so finally we got over the line against them. We nearly threw it away in last 15 minutes failing to score and letting Kilkenny back in. Great performance again in extra time and when Shanahan got the 4th that finished it and even Kilkenny weren't coming back from that. Tadgh De Burca was brilliant and so was Jamie Barron.
Quarter final draw is probably tomorrow so I assume the losing provincial finalists and qualifier winners are on opposite sides so it'll be Clare or Wexford v Tipperary or Waterford.

Austin Gleeson was man of the match in my opinion.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 07:41:08 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 09, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
If cork were to play tipp again i would fancy tipp.

It's down to 2 semi finalists and 4 in a knockout now isn't it? What way doesthedraw work? I assume 2 sides to it?

Cork and Galway are waiting for the winners of the quarter finals. Tipp, Waterford, Clare and Wexford go into that stage. As none of them have played each other it's an open draw. The only technicality is provincial runner up must meet qualifier so it's Clare v Waterford/Tipp and Wexford v Waterford/Tipp. Depending on who progresses there will either be a draw for the semis or there won't. If Wexford progress they play Cork as they can't play Galway and one of the other three play Galway because they can't play Cork. However, obviously should two of Tipp, Waterford and Clare go through then the can't play Cork rule goes out of the window and there will have to be an open draw.

Ah interesting. Cheers.  Very open hurling championship and it will be interesting to see what wexford are made of here. I think it might be a step too far for them. I think the two from the qualifying rounds will go through.

clonadmad

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 07:46:52 PM

You were watching a different game to me

Any one from these 3
Jamie Barron
Tadhg De Burca and Cillian Buckley with a combined 66 plays were the 2 dominant players

Gleeson does some fabulous things but lacks consistency in a game,he needs to settle on a clearly defined role within the team otherwise that Wd team will never win an all ireland.

Kilkevan

Quote from: clonadmad on July 09, 2017, 08:23:45 PM

Any one from these 3
Jamie Barron
Tadhg De Burca and Cillian Buckley with a combined 66 plays were the 2 dominant players

Gleeson does some fabulous things but lacks consistency in a game,he needs to settle on a clearly defined role within the team otherwise that Wd team will never win an all ireland.

Gleeson hit five points from play, that's savage going. Waterford have some distance to go to win an All Ireland but it's not because of Gleeson.

AZOffaly

I thought Mahony did an unreal job on TJ Reid. He cleaned him out for 90% of that game.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 01:03:38 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 12:32:54 PM

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 10:25:50 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 09:40:00 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 08:56:42 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 07:20:44 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:44:26 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:06:09 PM
So the cats are finished. Hard to believe.

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2017, 09:15:22 PM
Great game. Thought Waterford  had blown it.

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.
They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

I'd be happy if this Galway team won 1.

Would you ever cop yourself on and stop talking rubbish?
I agree fully with his comment

every team knows kilkenny do it
even Martin fogarty has mrntioned it

Show me where he said it...

And get a grip, Kilkenny had no good players, they were just great cheats, that's sh1te talk if ever there was.

The only butt in the helmet I can recall is the one Henry got against Clare. In these days of TV cameras everywhere that kind of thing gets caught even if the referee doesn't see it. You've already shown your level by blowing off steam about children from Gowran in another thread so frankly when your bile extends to under 14s it's hard to take you seriously.
I saw a kilkenny minor half forward get away with it 3/4 times last Sunday in croker
I've been at enough.coaching demos to hear what Martin says

still annoyed Gowran were beaten in the final by a laois team?
move on

Ah, so this is like when you said Charlie Carter was there when he wasn't. Of course though, you say he was, without any evidence, but your word is golden sure. Same as Martin Fogarty said xyz at hurling demos which you were at but can't produce a scrap of evidence for. It happened cos you say it did. Then you cite a minor match, again attacking into children, which wasn't televised and you have no evidence for but again, it happened because you said it did. Hearsay, sorry lad but you can't go off that alone.

Now, let's look at our conversation on the feile.

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 17, 2017, 10:27:34 PM
Gowran beat Glynn-Barntown in Ferns this afternoon. daylight robbery with the referee totally out of his depth and the gowarn sideline (charlie carter & co) dictating frees and refereeing decisions

standard of Kilkenny and Wexford club teams in the competition is very high, even down in Division 4, 5, 6 etc

Getting a bit excited there eh!

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 18, 2017, 09:23:10 AM
your number 11 was a bully and was let away with fouling his player the whole game and got away with it. same for your big midfielder.

anyway, semi finals today

Calling under 14 players "bullies", that's classy!

Oh and for the record...

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 18, 2017, 10:19:58 AM
Ah would you stop, they're an under 14 team for goodness sake. Can we leave the playground "my Daddy's bigger than your Daddy" nonsense where it belongs?

There's me calling it what it was, an under 14s match, and there's you up above throwing your toys out of the pram about referees and "bullies" in a kids' match... Don't think I'm the type to get wound up over playground sport...

Again, I await your evidence for any of the rubbish you claim...
I was there and saw the game as a neutral
I've seen enough games as player and coach over the years to know what I saw
its amazing thst talking to Charlie afterwards doesn't count
oh well

same as I saw the minor final in Croker last Sunday as a neutral

clonadmad

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 09, 2017, 08:23:45 PM

Any one from these 3
Jamie Barron

Gleeson hit five points from play, that's savage going. Waterford have some distance to go to win an All Ireland but it's not because of Gleeson.

If 5 points from play is "savage going",standards really are falling in Kk

Whilst some of Gleesons scores would look the part on a highlights reel,he needs to do more of the mundane.

Waterford as a team need to go more direct,atm they are talking 3 touches when 1 would do.

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 10:07:34 PM

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.
They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

And get a grip, Kilkenny had no good players, they were just great cheats, that's sh1te talk if ever there was.

The only butt in the helmet I can recall is the one Henry got against Clare. In these days of TV cameras everywhere that kind of thing gets caught even if the referee doesn't see it. You've already shown your level by blowing off steam about children from Gowran in another thread so frankly when your bile extends to under 14s it's hard to take you seriously.
I saw a kilkenny minor half forward get away with it 3/4 times last Sunday in croker

move on

Ah, so this is like when you said Charlie Carter was there when he wasn't. Of course though, you say he was, without any evidence, but your word is golden sure. Same as Martin Fogarty said xyz at hurling demos which you were at but can't produce a scrap of evidence for. It happened cos you say it did. Then you cite a minor match, again attacking into children, which wasn't televised and you have no evidence for but again, it happened because you said it did. Hearsay, sorry lad but you can't go off that alone.

Gowran beat Glynn-Barntown in Ferns this afternoon. daylight robbery with the referee totally out of his depth and the gowarn sideline (charlie carter & co) dictating frees and refereeing decisions

standard of Kilkenny and Wexford club teams in the competition is very high, even down in Division 4, 5, 6 etc

your number 11 was a bully and was let away with fouling his player the whole game and got away with it. same for your big midfielder.

Oh and for the record...

Ah would you stop, they're an under 14 team for goodness sake. Can we leave the playground "my Daddy's bigger than your Daddy" nonsense where it belongs?

There's me calling it what it was, an under 14s match, and there's you up above throwing your toys out of the pram about referees and "bullies" in a kids' match... Don't think I'm the type to get wound up over playground sport...

oh well

Hearsay, otherwise known as BS.

Kilkevan

move on

Oh and for the record...

oh well

Five points from play is good going from any player never mind a non-attacking player.

johnneycool

All Ireland SHC Quarter-Finals

Clare v Tipperary

Wexford v Waterford

seafoid

Nicky English in the Irish Times

"Kilkenny have been relying on a small number of players in recent years. Richie Hogan's been out of sorts this season and TJ Reid is really carrying the whole scoring burden. Michael Fennelly gave a tour de force against Limerick but wasn't able to keep that level up."

KK on a trajectory very like that of  Man Utd when Fergie's team won that last title and then it all went arseways.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clonadmad

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 10, 2017, 12:16:47 AM

move on

Oh and for the record...

oh well

Five points from play is good going from any player never mind a non-attacking player.

Gleeson is "a non attacking player",

will you go away out of that

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2017, 09:46:06 AM

"Kilkenny have been relying on a small number of players in recent years. Richie Hogan's been out of sorts this season and TJ Reid is really carrying the whole scoring burden. Michael Fennelly gave a tour de force against Limerick but wasn't able to keep that level up."

KK on a trajectory very like that of  Man Utd when Fergie's team won that last title and then it all went arseways.

Funnily enough was talking to a Kilkenny man from Ballyhale yesterday and whilst he does believe that Kilkenny will drop back into the pack over then next couple of years he reckons they've some very good underage hurlers coming through that will bring them back into contention. He mentioned a minor hurler, Mullen related to the Fennellys who he reckons is the real deal and will make it sooner rather than later.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on July 10, 2017, 10:52:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2017, 09:46:06 AM

"Kilkenny have been relying on a small number of players in recent years. Richie Hogan's been out of sorts this season and TJ Reid is really carrying the whole scoring burden. Michael Fennelly gave a tour de force against Limerick but wasn't able to keep that level up."

Funnily enough was talking to a Kilkenny man from Ballyhale yesterday and whilst he does believe that Kilkenny will drop back into the pack over then next couple of years he reckons they've some very good underage hurlers coming through that will bring them back into contention. He mentioned a minor hurler, Mullen related to the Fennellys who he reckons is the real deal and will make it sooner rather than later.

It is going to take time.  All those beatings that Déise, Tipp and Galway took were part of a learning process. KK are several years behind now.
It is almost impossible to replace an all conquering team. Kerry couldn't do it.  The factors that brought players like Tommy Walsh, Shefflin etc together cannot be manufactured and while they are doing the biz there is no room for replacements.  So when they retire the standard drops.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU