FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

i think he was talking about Stephen Ireland as opposed to Stephen Reid in that first highlighted bit.
Andy Reid's grand, but he isn't holding down a Sunderland starting place at present.  Delap retired years ago I thought?  But all of the names bandied about there and he doesn't mention the best Irish player in the premiership at present, Seamus Coleman.

AZOffaly

He was talking about Stephen Reid, but I don't know why. Stephen Reid said he might be interested in a comeback if asked. (He retired due to injury)

omagh_gael

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 18, 2010, 10:34:31 AM
i think he was talking about Stephen Ireland as opposed to Stephen Reid in that first highlighted bit.
Andy Reid's grand, but he isn't holding down a Sunderland starting place at present.  Delap retired years ago I thought? But all of the names bandied about there and he doesn't mention the best Irish player in the premiership at present, Seamus Coleman.

Sure he was causing havoc all last season with his long throw in's at Stoke. Not sure if he is holding down a regular start this season though.

Bogball XV

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 18, 2010, 10:42:00 AM
Andy Reid's grand, but he isn't holding down a Sunderland starting place at present.  Delap retired years ago I thought? But all of the names bandied about there and he doesn't mention the best Irish player in the premiership at present, Seamus Coleman.

Sure he was causing havoc all last season with his long throw in's at Stoke. Not sure if he is holding down a regular start this season though.
he scored on saturday, i mean retired from international football?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 18, 2010, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on October 18, 2010, 10:42:00 AM

he scored on saturday, i mean retired from international football?

I see

118cmal

I see Ciaran Clark from Aston Villa has pledged his international future to Ireland.  Don't know much about him other than that he's a highly rated centre back and former England u19 captain.  Should provide competition to St Ledger at least.  Does anyone know if he can play right back?  Would be good for Ireland to have another option there and then maybe move O'Shea across to LB.

Joxer

When does (or has he already?)  Trap name his squad for the Norway friendly?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: 118cmal on October 21, 2010, 11:47:11 AM
I see Ciaran Clark from Aston Villa has pledged his international future to Ireland.  Don't know much about him other than that he's a highly rated centre back and former England u19 captain.  Should provide competition to St Ledger at least.  Does anyone know if he can play right back?  Would be good for Ireland to have another option there and then maybe move O'Shea across to LB.
http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/aston-villa-fc/2010/10/21/aston-villa-defender-ciaran-clark-commits-to-republic-of-ireland-65233-27519049/
Great work by Richard Dunne to convince him.  He is a decent prospect at a time when centre halves were looking thin on the ground.

Capt Pat

Feckitt

Does anyone know where his parents are from?

118cmal

Quote from: Feckitt on October 21, 2010, 01:46:31 PM
Does anyone know where his parents are from?

Mother from Lovely Leitrem I believe.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

mylestheslasher

More FAI incompetence...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1025/blinkhornm_sligo_shamrock.html

Blinkhorn bemused by final suspension

Monday, 25 October 2010 16:18
Sligo Rovers striker Matthew Blinkhorn has criticised his suspension from the FAI Ford Cup final ahead of the Bit o' Red clash with Shamrock Rovers in the 14 November showpiece.

The former Blackpool striker was booked against Dundalk on 9 October, his fourth yellow card of the season.

He learned of his one-game ban for the final last Thursday, remaining free to play in the Bit o' Red's final two league games of the season, the first of which was a 2-1 win against UCD last Friday.

Sligo's Richie Ryan and Hoops midfielder Robert Bayly will also miss the final because of bans.

Blinkhorn told the Irish Independent: 'It should be that if you get four bookings, you miss the next game. If you get eight bookings, you miss the next two games.

'That's the way it works in other leagues. You don't get a booking on 9 October and wait until 14 November to dispense the punishment.

'It doesn't make sense; basically we're being punished because we have got one game extra.

'If we hadn't gotten to the Cup final, we would have been suspended for the first game of next season. I got banned for a game after the season's finished. That makes sense, doesn't it?'

Denn Forever

Saw this in yesterday's Tribune.  Would he be a good addition or no better than we have/

Noble set to join Irish band as Alex keeps Gunners on Song
premier league Speculation that West Ham ace will feature in Friday's Trapattoni squad
Ciaran Cronin, Emirates Stadium

The right note: Arsenal's Alex Song (left) is challenged by Luis Boa Morte of West Ham United during their Premier League match at the Emirates Stadium Mark Noble yesterday proved what an asset he could be to Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland as West Ham were narrowly beaten by Arsenal at the Emirates, courtesy of a headed goal from Alex Song's two minutes from time.

Strong rumours have been circulating in recent days that the former England under-21 captain, born and bred in East London but 'Irish' by virtue of one of his grandparents, is close to declaring for Trapattoni's side and may well be included in the squad for the friendly against Norway on 17 November at the Aviva Stadium.

Irish assistant manager Marco Tardelli was at Upton Park on Wednesday when the player came off the bench on 72 minutes with West Ham 1-0 down to Stoke City in the League Cup. Noble contributed richly to his side's comeback that evening and was a force again yesterday.

With a neat touch here, a clever pass there, he was involved in all of West Ham's best play while the player's 30-yard run and rasping drive on 35 minutes forced Lukasz Fabianski into a very important save.

His delivery from set-pieces, which he deliberately placed as close as possible to Arsenal's keeper, were also extremely effective on the day.

Trapattoni, who must surely be keeping a close eye on the player, will also have been impressed by Noble's energy and discipline. Playing in a three-man midfield alongside Scott Parker and Luis Boa Morte, Noble kept as much of an eye on his defensive duties as his attacking ones.

All in all, he would represent a significant addition to the Irish ranks. The Noble camp have been quiet on the rumours this week but, interestingly, have not gone out of their way to dismiss them out of hand. Trapattoni names his squad for the Norway game on Friday.

October 31, 2010
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 01, 2010, 07:52:49 PM
Saw this in yesterday's Tribune.  Would he be a good addition or no better than we have/

Noble set to join Irish band as Alex keeps Gunners on Song
premier league Speculation that West Ham ace will feature in Friday's Trapattoni squad
Ciaran Cronin, Emirates Stadium

The right note: Arsenal's Alex Song (left) is challenged by Luis Boa Morte of West Ham United during their Premier League match at the Emirates Stadium Mark Noble yesterday proved what an asset he could be to Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland as West Ham were narrowly beaten by Arsenal at the Emirates, courtesy of a headed goal from Alex Song's two minutes from time.

Strong rumours have been circulating in recent days that the former England under-21 captain, born and bred in East London but 'Irish' by virtue of one of his grandparents, is close to declaring for Trapattoni's side and may well be included in the squad for the friendly against Norway on 17 November at the Aviva Stadium.

Irish assistant manager Marco Tardelli was at Upton Park on Wednesday when the player came off the bench on 72 minutes with West Ham 1-0 down to Stoke City in the League Cup. Noble contributed richly to his side's comeback that evening and was a force again yesterday.

With a neat touch here, a clever pass there, he was involved in all of West Ham's best play while the player's 30-yard run and rasping drive on 35 minutes forced Lukasz Fabianski into a very important save.

His delivery from set-pieces, which he deliberately placed as close as possible to Arsenal's keeper, were also extremely effective on the day.

Trapattoni, who must surely be keeping a close eye on the player, will also have been impressed by Noble's energy and discipline. Playing in a three-man midfield alongside Scott Parker and Luis Boa Morte, Noble kept as much of an eye on his defensive duties as his attacking ones.

All in all, he would represent a significant addition to the Irish ranks. The Noble camp have been quiet on the rumours this week but, interestingly, have not gone out of their way to dismiss them out of hand. Trapattoni names his squad for the Norway game on Friday.

October 31, 2010

Now that would be a great capture!!