FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

omagh_gael

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 02, 2010, 11:25:37 AM
We've every chance tomorrow with the team featured on the poster outside the ground in Algeria:

We're not Republic of Ireland we're Northern Irrrreland!

Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 02, 2010, 11:25:37 AM
We've every chance tomorrow with the team featured on the poster outside the ground in Algeria:

Is that real or a Photoshop job?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

No it's real alright. Gets a mention in this evening's Herald.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Have to be happy with that.

Thought Lawerence was excellent as was Doyle,also impressed with St Ledger.
That Green fella doesn't seem up to it,reminds me a bit of McShane which isn't a good thing,is Gibson injured? I'm not a huge fan of Gibson either but I think he be better than Green.
Delighted for Fahy,anytime I see him with Birmingham he always impresses me and I think he should be close to a starting spot.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

red hander

Aye, happy with that, considering the heat in Yerevan.  There was about 15 minutes in the second half where it looked a bit hairy but you always have confidence when Shay's between the posts

Dinny Breen

Only saw the second half but Kevin Doyle like his name sake Johnny is a superb team player, excellent work-rate and great attitude was very very good today. Good result for Ireland.
#newbridgeornowhere

AFS

Very dodgy there, was convinced we'd give away the usual late goal. Thought Doyle was terrific. Lawrence was alright, but some of his set pieces, usually his strong suit, weren't great. Same old with McGeady, lots of huff and puff but little end product. Worrying that Keane was so profligate, we'll need his goals against the better teams. Green looked average at best in the middle, will do well to hold onto his place. Back four just about held on, Dunne doesn't look 100% and Kilbane's legs have well and truly gone. Coleman or Cunningham can't be brought through soon enough for me.

Armenia are pretty useless, worse than I thought they'd be. I expect the other big teams in the group to win there too, so that result really just keeps us ticking over.

Andorra should be a formality. That said, we never hammer teams so I wouldn't be surprised if it was as little as 2-0.

Bud Wiser

Brian Cody needs to be manager for the next game because Robbie Keane needs to be dropped and nobody wants to do it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Denn Forever

Richard Saddler is good in the analysis stakes.  When will get a chance with Giles/Dunphy/Brady. 

He has the understated manner that would mean it would be interesting with Dunphy. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 03, 2010, 10:14:16 PM
Richard Saddler is good in the analysis stakes.  When will get a chance with Giles/Dunphy/Brady. 

He has the understated manner that would mean it would be interesting with Dunphy.

Saddler is a straight shooter - have the experience of playing football at a very high level but don't think he was ever mentioned it.  I guess I mean he isn't trying to be OTT and say things just for the sake of it and be controversial
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

Well pleased with the win. Team ethic has come on leaps and bounds these past 2 years.
First real game for Green, he did as well as Andrews or Whelan did in their early days. If he cuts out the mistakes he will be excellent backup in the squad. Making mistakes is not the norm for Green, Trap puts it down to nerves/anxiety. Trap is coolness personified.
Kilbane just about did enough, he was made to work in defense against a good winger, had just enough pace if he had a 10m start and he didn't get much support. He got forward to support the attack on plenty of occasions and his distribution was sound. KK had a decent enough game.
Imo, on average over the last few years, Doyle has been our top player, since his first real game game for us against Germany in Stuttgart.
Other notable results
France beaten at home by Belarus.
And the humdinger game of the  evening, Portugal 4 Cyprus 4 .

GBXII

Green is getting away way too softly here, he was absolutely rubbish. A terrible first half followed by a slightly improved second half. Definitely should have been substitued for Gibson early in the second half but I can only assume Trap didn't want to ruin his confidence.

Doyle was by far the stand out player on the pitch, not Lawerence as Kenny C noted. The number 18 for Armenia was very good also though. Good result, not a good performance but understandabe given the weather and the lack of games most of the players have had. Hopefully we'll stick our chances on Tuesday, which I have a feeling we will.  :)