Cecil the Lion

Started by omaghjoe, August 06, 2015, 07:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Not sure what the big deal is with the killing of this lion? It was old, wandered outside of the National Park, and was taken out of its misery.

Could someone explain all the moral outrage?

GJL

The same day Cecil was shot there was a Palestinian baby burned to death in his own house by Israelis. Hardly a word about it. Never under estimate the power of Jewish controlled media.....

Soup an Samajiz

Ach boys there was a big public conservation effort and it highlighted the issue of illegal poaching again, its goin to get a lot of air time of course, whether it was illegal or not (which it was) - the main issue is the absolute lack of morals and animal cruelty... but if you listed all the "more important" issues that weren't reported yid never be done. Aul Cecil definitely isn't the worst case considering the dung that gets reported. If I had it my way Northern Irish Politicians and their flegs, parades and point scoring wouldn't get a minute, id be glad for 24/7 Cecil
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

J70

I think the internet mob pile - on is way over the top, as it always is with the "outrage" of the week. And I'm a little skeptical of the Zimbabwean government's outrage also. And no doubt this animal's "celebrity" status played a role.

At the same time, there is no excuse for what this dude, or all the other trophy hunters did and do. Even if he had killed the animal in a humane fashion,  which he didn't,  why are these arseholes permitted to kill endangered species.  It's not wild hogs or white-tailed deer they're "hunting". And their fees are not generally going into conservation efforts either. And even if they were,  there is far more money to be made in eco-tourism.

The Iceman

It's all the media!
Nobody gave a shit about the confederate flag until the media told us to. Nobody gave a shit about Cecil the Lion until the Media told us to.

A child gets burned to death in Palestine.....crickets.....planned parenthood are selling the parts of aborted babies.....nothing to see here.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Soup an Samajiz

Ach I think ur over cynical, yes of course the media have their selective methods but at the same time if they reported every atrocity that occurred this week Emmerdale would have to be bumped back to 11clock. They give you a range of stories from across the board, by your reasoning sure yid never hear of sport or technology or whatever else... Media don't make reports based on the morality of an issue and where it stands based on the value of life... its about public interest and in this case the public cared more about Cecil than the goings on in Palestine.

And as far as "why him and not every other poacher?" - this case is more severe due to how well known the lion was and only enhanced by how this douchebag went about it, it's brought poaching and hunting and whatever else into focus and sure that's hardly a bad thing.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

The Iceman

According to the media we care more about Animals in Africa than we do about People!

http://mic.com/articles/123461/photos-show-the-real-issues-facing-zimbabwe
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

imtommygunn

Quote from: The Iceman on August 06, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
It's all the media!
Nobody gave a shit about the confederate flag until the media told us to. Nobody gave a shit about Cecil the Lion until the Media told us to.

A child gets burned to death in Palestine.....crickets.....planned parenthood are selling the parts of aborted babies.....nothing to see here.....

Exactly.... media try to dictate what we get outraged by and generally succeed.

One thing I always point back to with public moral outrage was the Ross / Brand thing on the radio with Andrew Sachs... who created the outrage - the daily mail!!

They tell you what they want to and now they try to tell people how they should feel about it.

Mind control!

finbar o tool

i agree the media control everything, and agree that people starving to death gets less coverage than a lion and that is very wrong. without a doubt. its something else celebs can tweet about until something else comes up next week.

but at the same time, when something like this goes viral, its no harm that it might help put a stop to it, as it is wrong too. killing these amazing endangered animals for fun should not be happening.
i would point out that he didnt just wander out of a national park he was lured out!

for anyone interested there is a brilliant documentary by louis theroux called "african hunting holiday".
it shows how wrong it is, in some cases, but also another side of it that shows that it is actually a good thing for certain animals believe it or not!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

deiseach

Gabriel_Hurl

I shot (with my Canon EOS Rebel) these lovely looking brothers in Africa last October

finbar o tool

now thats how you shoot lions!  :D

great photo. the guy on the left is 'Scar' from the Lion King, has the scar under his left eye and all!!  ;D
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 06, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
It's all the media!

The issue with the media is that they quickly move on to the next story, NOT that they hype up a single story per se. For something like the confederate flag, it was always going to take some tragedy to kickstart the movement.  Same with gun control. Or environmental legislation. Change always needs a poster child.

You could argue that these selectively edited Planned Parenthood videos are designed to do just that. (And it has been all over the news the last three weeks,  but the hype about what is supposedly in the videos has not panned out, hence it fading - I've yet to see anything to suggest they are selling body parts)

armaghniac

Quote from: deiseach on August 06, 2015, 05:30:08 PM
In other news:

(PS Jericho is fine)

It is all very fine for you so called liberals to snigger at this tweet, but surely we have to be all inclusive in these modern times and not take the chance of hurting Jericho's feelings if he were a liger or a tigon or whatever?

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl
I shot (with my Canon EOS Rebel) these lovely looking brothers in Africa last October

Great pic, Gabriel.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B