Concussion in the GAA

Started by mayo 4 eva, October 05, 2015, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayo 4 eva

Was watching the documentary on RTE 1 about rugby and concussions and it got me thinking about our own game.  The very nature of our game would suggest that concussions are not as regular as in rugby but they still happen from time to time.  Have any posters had much experience of this area in both playing and coaching roles? 
The Question is..... What is the Question?

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 05, 2015, 10:50:08 PM
Was watching the documentary on RTE 1 about rugby and concussions and it got me thinking about our own game.  The very nature of our game would suggest that concussions are not as regular as in rugby but they still happen from time to time.  Have any posters had much experience of this area in both playing and coaching roles?

Gaa is not Rugby or that pansy game Soccer. 

mayo 4 eva

Never said it was the same game.  I suppose what i'm asking is are we in the GAA as stupid when it comes to this sort of thing as rugby ie do players get taken off etc when this this injury happens.  With players now and their developing strength standards I believe we should be aware of this issue.  Just speaking from experience I remember getting knocked out not so long ago (couple of years) to be told your grand, play on.  I'll never forget the headaches and puking after the game.  Horrible experience.
The Question is..... What is the Question?

BennyCake

I'd be interested to hear more about the events which led to Ronan Clarke being put into a medically-induced coma.

Who was at fault there, if anyone?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2015, 01:46:21 AM
I'd be interested to hear more about the events which led to Ronan Clarke being put into a medically-induced coma.

Was a freak accident when he collided at speed with the goal post.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 05, 2015, 10:50:08 PM

I had 3 concussions in my playing days. Once I was going up to catch a ball and got taken out at the legs, so I fell back and hit my head on the ground. Ended up in Mullingar A&E because I couldn't remember anything.

Second time I had a head to head collision with a corner back as we both went for the ball. Never went near a hospital that time, just got taken off after I mused at half time why it was raining in the dressing room. (Someone had the showers on).

Third time was playing soccer, got an elbow in the back of the head, and was sat in the bath that evening trying to remember things like my wife's maiden name, with no success.

It's quite scary actually.

thewobbler

I got a junior B concussion. As you can imagine, it was handled with the greatest medical attention.

That morning I banged my head on the window sill while painting.

Drove from Belfast to Newry to play the Mitchels, and soon afterwards lined out in my usual 13 jersey (it was either 13 or 23 for me). Scored a point early enough, then couldn't get into the game at all - but as we had no subs I knew I would still be clear to rack up a bit of black type behind my name in the second half.

Shortly after half time, based on what people told me (I've no recollection), a ball went into the corridor of uncertainty, and I elected to try to head it into the net, and in doing so I shipped a heavy knock on the head. Lay down for 30 seconds, then got up and at it. Allegedly I played a blinder for 10 minutes or so, when I decided to take myself out to midfield and drive the team forward (I still don't believe that bit). Then I lay down in the midfield area and decided to go for a wee sleep. The reserve management duo (including 5 Sams), got me revived enough to drag me over to the side of the field, where I lay down and came in and out of silly talk and sleep for 10 minutes.

I do remember the final whistle going. I'll never forget that sound, for it also seemed to put me back into sound mind.

Except, I'd no memory of anything that happened that day. Didn't remember playing football, didn't remember coming from Belfast. My hands were covered in a yellow paint, and I'd absolutely no recollection of painting the house that morning. It took one of the players who I'd been chatting to before the game, to put that piece of the jigsaw together. And over the course of the next few hours, more of the lights started to come on.

Weird shit. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

- - -

My junior B soccer concussion was even better though. I went up to challenge for a header and got (accidentally) butted square across my left eye and nose.

Was knocked out cold, and woke up a few seconds later genuinely seeing tweetie-bird stars, with a gaping hole above my left eye, and my nose halfway across my face.

Anyway, we'd only 11 players that day, and realising that my absence would already push us down to 10 men, not one of the f**kers would take me to hospital, so I drove a couple of miles across Newry, with blood pissing from a head that was still attached, but not in sync with my body.

My clearest memory of that day is every single member of staff in Daisy Hill first castigating me for driving, before then checking on my injuries. I suppose they had a point.

-- -

Concussion is no craic. I've been extremely careful with teams I've been involved with since those incidents. It's one of those rare things in life that until you've suffered one, and all of the mad contortions that go with it, you've no idea just how vulnerable the person is.

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 06, 2015, 06:57:32 AM

Aye but didn't he play on? Who allowed that to happen?

brokencrossbar1

I had a pretty bad one.  I got a bang on the head playing in a game,  nothing malicious just a heavy challenge.  I remember nothing about the game.  We were playing in Clones and on the way home I was feeling woozy so I lay down in the back seats of the bus.  I actually remember nothing else apart from waking up in Daisy Hill later that night.  I lost about 4-5 hours of the day and was kept in overnight for observation.  The crazy thing is I was back training that week and played the following week again!

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2015, 11:01:16 AM

He might not have appeared concussed at the time. Or he might have answered the "how many fingers" and "what's your name?" questions, and the physios etc were just happy to see him up on his feet at such a crucial stage of the match, and never even considered concussion. Or he might have just said he wasn't coming off, regardless of medical advice. It's very hard for the GAA to apply protocols here, as unlike pro rugby, there isn't always trained medical staff - whose reputations are on the line - making a recommendation.

I remember watching an Irish rugby match a couple of years ago when Luke Marshall took a huge thump with a couple of minutes to go. He passed the doctor's tests to be able to stay on the pitch, but 10 mins later when he was being interviewed by the Beeb, you'd have got more sense from a two year old full up on Red Bull.

johnneycool

Got knocked spark out playing Wexford in a friendly, myself and a big FF had a bit of a disagreement a few minutes prior to the incident when running back towards my own goals, picked up the ball, and somehow turned directly into the putt of his hurl and don't remember much other than the physio standing over me laughing at how well I'd flipped right over. The big hoor got me some dig.

Couldn't play on and came off. I didn't sleep a wink that night, bit nauseous throughout and to make matters worse was meant to play against Dublin hurlers in a Walsh cup game the next day in Portmarnock, but told management I didn't feel right. Took it upon myself to go into the Dublin dressing room and their doctor had a look at me and told me he thought I'd mild concussion and a few stitches required.
Thank f**k I didn't play as a young Conal Keaney was running riot that day.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thewobbler on October 06, 2015, 11:07:50 AM

Or he might have just said he wasn't coming off, regardless of medical advice. 

Ronan tried to get up and was immediately unsteady on his feet and went to ground again. Both umpires and the Maghery goalkeeper and full back signaled urgently to the line. He received medical assistance and I was sure he was going to come off. However to my surprise he eventually played on and I subsequently heard it was because Ronan insisted on remaining on the field. His team, Pearse Og, were getting hammered at the time and he was their one and only threat up front.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 06, 2015, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 06, 2015, 11:07:50 AM

Or he might have just said he wasn't coming off, regardless of medical advice. 

Ronan tried to get up and was immediately unsteady on his feet and went to ground again. Both umpires and the Maghery goalkeeper and full back signaled urgently to the line. He received medical assistance and I was sure he was going to come off. However to my surprise he eventually played on and I subsequently heard it was because Ronan insisted on remaining on the field. His team, Pearse Og, were getting hammered at the time and he was their one and only threat up front.

I thought there was protocols in place that took the decision out of the players hands? Like AOS in 2014 semi replay v Kerry.

Keyser soze

Had 3 concussions in my time. I think they ere cumulative too as it appears to be easier to sustain one after having had previous ones. Been through the hilarious not remembering anything, though I can remember not remembering if you know what I mean.

twohands!!!

I think that it has gotten a lot better the last few years in the GAA (and I'd say that some part of this is due to the issue in rugby) and the vast majority have moved past the "ah just a bang on the head, you'll be grand to play on" attitude.

On rugby I remember talking to a medical professional involved with one of the Irish provinces a few years back and he frightened me the stuff he came out with - even aside from concussion, the impact on professionals' bones and joints mean there is going to be carnage down the line in terms of stuff like hip replacements. He was saying that the sport with most in common was the NFL and he said that even there with much shorter professional careers the damage done to the players bodies was immense. After talking to him you'd almost feel a bit guilty even watching rugby on the TV now. He's moved away from the whole rugby area since and I have the notion that he has concerns about the whole pro rugby thing and the damage being done to the first generation of professionals in order to earn a living.