Taking the Mick! For charity.

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 10:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Any GAA supporter who has been to a game in Castlebar will know Mick Byrne. A really great character.

http://www.castlebar.ie/Community_Groups/Are-You-Right-There-Michael-Are-You-Right.shtml

Are You Right There Michael, Are You Right?
By Michael Baynes
14, Apr 2015 - 06:44

Are You Right There Michael, Are You Right?

A very unique fundraiser in aid of Mayo/Roscommon Hospice and Western Care will take place on Sat. 18th of July in Castlebar. The idea which was suggested by Michael O'Connor from Parke to local publican and well known "aul stock", Mick Byrne, is a 5km charity walk on the newly opened Greenway to Turlough but there is a catch: you can only partake if your name is Michael, Michelle, Micheala, Mickey, Mike, Miquel etc!! Even if your second name or Confirmation name is one of these, you're eligible. However, in the interest of charity (and for a small extra fee!), you can become an honorary Michael/Michelle for the day!

This super novel idea has certainly caught the attention of people already. Michael Ring was the first to sign up and he has agreed to be a leader of the walk. Mick Byrne said, "I came up with the idea two years ago and wondered if it would catch on but as soon as I contacted the various Michaels/Michelle and told them what I had in mind and the charities involved, every one of them immediately agreed to come on board so I decided that this is the year". Mick also added that he had a three year plan for the event: "year one will be the walk on the Greenway, year two will be a world record attempt to gather the greatest number of Micks in one place at one time and year three will be a world record attempt to have the greatest number of Michelles in one place at one time. I will be personally inviting Michelle Obama to lead the walk in 2017 but if she can't make I hope she will still make the €20 donation!!".

At the launch, Lauritta Blewitt from Mayo/Roscommon Hospice said they were delighted to be part of this event as every house in community has at some stage been affected by cancer and with them opening a new 14 bed facility in Castlebar, all funds are greatly appreciated". Joe Brett from Western Care echoed Laura's words and said "next year is the 50th anniversary of Western Care so this world record attempt will be a flagship event in their calendar".

After the walk is over the music will start in Hoban's car park with newly formed band (for one night only), Micks' Emotions featuring, Mick Buckton, Mick Baynes, Mick Staunton and Mick Mulhearne!!! They will be playing a great "MIX" of music on the night and if any Mick want to join in for a song, they will be more than welcome!! The music and fun will continue throughout the evening and the only question is, do you think we'll make it home before the night!!

Details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/areyourighttheremichaelareyouright

Pictured at the launch at Mick Byrnes.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

I have been in to see Mick many times. Apart from the rashers, sausages and black pudding at about half 10 or 11 o'clock he puts the first pint up a well...."for my friend from Down"... He knows my name as well as the next man but he keeps calling me "Seán O'Neill"." Legend. I'll certainly be contributing. Great pub, great pint, great man.
The Aristocrat Years

whitey

This is what I love about the GAA. One of the individuals featured in the advertisment for this event player in goals on an underage team with me. A bypasser (well known supporter of the opposition team) decided to interject in a dispute between said golakeeper and one of the umpires over a disputed score. Said goalkeeper decided to pelt rocks at the partisan supporter. If it happened today thereyd be cvnts calling up Joe Duffy

T Fearon

Lauritta Blewitt? Are you sure that wasn't Dick as opposed to Mick?

From the Bunker

Speaking of great Men. Michael O'Connor from Parke (if it's the man from Cashel you mention Muppet in the piece) is a unspoken legend. In the past many Divisional/County/Friendly final was held in Parke and Michael always tried to make the occasion special with Appropriate flags, presentation of the pitch as well as having the National anthem played. He did tremendous work for our club always filling the gaps that often appear in a voluntary organisation. Top Man!

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 10, 2015, 01:29:28 PM
Speaking of great Men. Michael O'Connor from Parke (if it's the man from Cashel you mention Muppet in the piece) is a unspoken legend. In the past many Divisional/County/Friendly final was held in Parke and Michael always tried to make the occasion special with Appropriate flags, presentation of the pitch as well as having the National anthem played. He did tremendous work for our club always filling the gaps that often appear in a voluntary organisation. Top Man!

That rings a bell alright. A mate of mine of that club died tragically years ago, would he have been the man who gave the eulogy?
MWWSI 2017

FL/MAYO

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 09, 2015, 10:47:02 PM
I have been in to see Mick many times. Apart from the rashers, sausages and black pudding at about half 10 or 11 o'clock he puts the first pint up a well...."for my friend from Down"... He knows my name as well as the next man but he keeps calling me "Seán O'Neill"." Legend. I'll certainly be contributing. Great pub, great pint, great man.

Every summer when I am at home I call in to Mick Byrnes, he always has a great welcome. You never know what Mayo GAA hero form the past might be knocking about. He has some memory for names alright. I wish him the best of luck, I am sure it will be a great success!

whitey

I saw him lining the pitch by hand for an U14 game that didnt involve his his own club.  Had the teams line up for pictures too, and then hand delivered them to club officials a few weeks later, all out of his own pocket.  Often hear his name mentioned on Michael Commins late show

From the Bunker

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2015, 03:46:34 PM

I saw him lining the pitch by hand for an U14 game that didnt involve his his own club.  Had the teams line up for pictures too, and then hand delivered them to club officials a few weeks later, all out of his own pocket.  Often hear his name mentioned on Michael Commins late show

Sounds like the man! Has a treasure chest of photo's of teams that won titles and of teams that won nothing - it was all the same to Michael, every team was as important as the other! Whether the final involved his own club or not he made them as special as he could.

rrhf

Quote from: FL/MAYO on June 10, 2015, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 09, 2015, 10:47:02 PM

Every summer when I am at home I call in to Mick Byrnes, he always has a great welcome. You never know what Mayo GAA hero form the past might be knocking about. He has some memory for names alright. I wish him the best of luck, I am sure it will be a great success!
Only in the bar twice but a better bar I have never been in.  Very fond memories of the big man and the great gaa bar. 

whitey

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 10, 2015, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2015, 03:46:34 PM

Sounds like the man! Has a treasure chest of photo's of teams that won titles and of teams that won nothing - it was all the same to Michael, every team was as important as the other! Whether the final involved his own club or not he made them as special as he could.

I used to meet his late brother on the Ballina bus.  I'm going to say he had a good job up in Longford with the council.  His brother used to get dropped off the bus in Foxford and go in for a few pints and then Michael, a good Pioneer, would pick him up.