UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Worth a thread of its own?

My prediction is a Liberal comeback because of Corbyn's uselessness and there being nobody else for the Remainers in England and Wales to vote for. Between the Liberals and the SNP, the opposition benches could get interesting.

BarryBreensBandage

Another bloody election - TV saturated with nothing in particular, while the status quo of under funded, dysfunctional public services remains.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

An Watcher

Not that into my politics but am I right in saying that because the SNP are doing so well at the moment Labour have no chance of winning as Scotland was a Labour stronghold at one stage?  Basically it will decide how far the conservatives are ahead and the order of the smaller parties?

seafoid

Quote from: An Watcher on April 18, 2017, 07:32:54 PM
Not that into my politics but am I right in saying that because the SNP are doing so well at the moment Labour have no chance of winning as Scotland was a Labour stronghold at one stage?  Basically it will decide how far the conservatives are ahead and the order of the smaller parties?
Best Labour can do is a coalition unless they win back those seats in Scotland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM
Worth a thread of its own?

My prediction is a Liberal comeback because of Corbyn's uselessness and there being nobody else for the Remainers in England and Wales to vote for. Between the Liberals and the SNP, the opposition benches could get interesting.

Corbyn is a very good, principled man in a tremendously difficult situation. The world would be a better place if we had the Jeremy Corbyn's making the decisions rather than the Theresa May's. Throughout his political career he has been brave enough to take many unpopular/unfashionable stances and been proven right time and time again. The supporters of the butcher of Baghdad in his own party should get behind him rather that try to get rid of him. Most of them are practically tories anyway though.

I think and hope that May gets her ass kicked for this attempted power grab. I've a feeling it will not work out as well for her as it looks at the moment.

imtommygunn

Quote from: An Watcher on April 18, 2017, 07:32:54 PM

Really i don't think anyone can beat the tories at present and may knows that. My interpretation of the election is that it is a put up or shut up to the opposition.

Snp have too many seats so will probably drop too which isn't good. Tories might make some, not much but some, ground in scotland. Not sure labour will.

seafoid

It is basically the Tories v everyone else. If the others decided to pick the best candidate for each seat Fermanagh South Tyrone style they could beat the Tories.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

I can only see a drastically increased Tory majority.Corbyn is the Michael Foot of the current generation,unrealistic policies of the loony left.SNP could take a bit of a hit,but not much.Lib Dems will regain a few seats but not many.Sadly due to two ineffective nationalist parties in the North,Fermanagh/South Tyrone and North Belfast (both nationalist majority constituencies) will be retained by Unionists.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on April 18, 2017, 08:05:42 PM
I can only see a drastically increased Tory majority.

Because England is either red or blue, like the US, there are plenty of Labour seats who even a big fall in the vote would not change the seat, there aren't that many marginals. So the majority will increase, but perhaps not as much as you think, given that the Tories will lose a few seats to Lib Dems.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38499645
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Whatever about Teresa May personally being a horrible human being she's smart and pragmatic. . . The numbers are telling her that a General Election right now will give Labour a defeat they can't recover from anytime soon and will give her the mandate to do what she wants.

Barring something sensational the Tories will have their biggest victory for a long time and the NHS/Welfare will be destroyed. Not looking forward to it.

If only Corbyn had an ounce of charisma but sadly he's got none and even though he has good ideas and is principled etc. etc. It matters little when he's not able to communicate his message to the electorate in a meaningful way!

Avondhu star

The opposition parties should realise who the enemy is. Splitting the anti Tory vote and letting theTories win constiteuncies with total votes less than the combined opposition vote is ridiculous. They are looking at 15 years of Tory government
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: screenexile on April 18, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
Whatever about Teresa May personally being a horrible human being she's smart and pragmatic. . . The numbers are telling her that a General Election right now will give Labour a defeat they can't recover from anytime soon and will give her the mandate to do what she wants.

Barring something sensational the Tories will have their biggest victory for a long time and the NHS/Welfare will be destroyed. Not looking forward to it.

If only Corbyn had an ounce of charisma but sadly he's got none and even though he has good ideas and is principled etc. etc. It matters little when he's not able to communicate his message to the electorate in a meaningful way!
Maybe Paul Murphy and his loons could go over and give him support
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Throw ball

Another situation were the Tory leader has put the interest of the party over what is best for the country. Just like Cameron with the Brevit vote.

armaghniac

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 18, 2017, 08:50:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 18, 2017, 08:44:35 PM

Maybe Paul Murphy and his loons could go over and give him support

This would be a good opportunity to then cut links with Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Political opportunism from May and it's a self serving decision despite consistently stating that there would be no election sprung.