GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Has there been one???

What the f**k do all the suits in Croke Park get paid for if not for moments like this??!!

Solo_run

They don't want their revenue to take a hit.

balladmaker

Can't imagine any GAA games being played behind closed doors.

giveballaghback

Quote from: balladmaker on March 12, 2020, 12:35:52 AM
Can't imagine any GAA games being played behind closed doors.
Yes it will happen, if not this weekend then next weekend. They will want to complete the league before going into shutdown untill this is under control. I can see them cancelling the divisional finals and declaring the table toppers winners. What is happening in Cheltenham is wreckless at best and in a quickly evolving situation common sence must prevail.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM
Has there been one???

What the f**k do all the suits in Croke Park get paid for if not for moments like this??!!

This is starting to move fast now. I can see a situation where the whole season is decimated. County championship and club football will be condensed into a small window between july, august and september if we can get it under control. The problem is there's likely to be a second wave in the autumn.

AFM

Walked into toilets in Brewster park and walked out, think there was one sink in corner and 50 people in the "building", all GAA grounds wouldn't have the best hygiene in the toilet department!

Taylor

Frankly I believe the GAA's response has been an absolute disgrace.

Safety of its members should be paramount - remember this is an amateur organisation with amateurs at the heart of the organisation.

As it stands the league games go ahead and our kids also have games this weekend.

Shocking

AFM

They need to keep the money flowing in, it always is and always will be about the money.  Sure there are individuals on here who's attitude is feck it just the old and sick will die, there's no accounting for folk.

Itchy

Our club went looking for some advice on what to publish to our members. Zero from the county board. Would you believe, some of county board are actually in Cheltenham! In the end I looked around and found on Cavan GAA twitter a modest update (My current club not in Cavan) and I found some good updates from individual clubs out there who took the lead on this themselves. So we have put something out to our members on social media. Its really poor from the GAA, no leadership what so ever.

Last Caress

Our club has posted advice to its members and players (of all age groups). At least they have taken steps.
Nothing from the County Board (that I'm aware of). Fixtures will be suspended.

ck

My son plays basketball, all of his training and matches are now off for the foreseeable future. They got their direction from basketball Ireland - his GAA team are playing away and the club say they have had no direction from anyone. They have training tonight, as have the girls team and seniors. The club will be a hive of activity, as will most clubs.
Either the GAA have their heads in the sand or they have a clear strategy that they are following. Not sure which.

Captain Scarlet

The last two rounds should be behind closed doors.
Ideally an exception could be made for a local streaming services to broadcast any that are not on TV.

How many young and older bucks are due back around the clubs after coming back from Cheltenham? If they go training with lads this weekend the whole thing could be done either way and the club championships are fecked if cases start popping up.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

screenexile

Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 10:04:14 AM
My son plays basketball, all of his training and matches are now off for the foreseeable future. They got their direction from basketball Ireland - his GAA team are playing away and the club say they have had no direction from anyone. They have training tonight, as have the girls team and seniors. The club will be a hive of activity, as will most clubs.
Either the GAA have their heads in the sand or they have a clear strategy that they are following. Not sure which.

Nobody is sure... if they are following a clear strategy why aren't they telling us they're doing this??

Make a decision and explain it this doing nothing head in the sand nonsense does nobody any good!!

Solo_run

GAA are part of the problem and it goes to show when there is a crisis they have no leadership. The GAA should have it's members as the number 1 priority. While some consider it an extreme measure playing games behind closed, it is a sensible measure. It is a better option than giving a virus free reign to travel from person to person across different parts of the country.

screenexile

The GPA have even released some guidelines!!!