Manning Cup

Started by Zulu, July 15, 2015, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Manning Cup Round 3
Full Time Sligo: 1-23(26)  Laois: 0-2(2)

What the hell is going on in Laois? That's a ridiculous score for an U16 competition between two counties that should be broadly competitive at any level.

Syferus

Lots of mismatched results like this at underage..

manfromdelmonte

Zulu

How do you mean? I could understand a team missing a few might get beaten by a team they would beat with a full hand but getting beaten by 24 points and only scoring 2 against a county you would be expected to be competitive against is very odd. I mean Laois' second 15 would be expected to give Sligo's first 15 a reasonable game, and vice versa so this result is quite striking to me.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2015, 09:56:54 PM
How do you mean? I could understand a team missing a few might get beaten by a team they would beat with a full hand but getting beaten by 24 points and only scoring 2 against a county you would be expected to be competitive against is very odd. I mean Laois' second 15 would be expected to give Sligo's first 15 a reasonable game, and vice versa so this result is quite striking to me.

This year alone we beat Meath and Sligo by a similar margin at U21. Rarely would those ties be anything other than tight but it happens. We'll see how Sligo fare in the Ted Webb and we might know if it's a really good Sligo panel or a really poor Laois one.

Rossfan

Sligo have two teams in the Ted Webb while we only have one.
Are we witnessing the birth of a new superpower in Connacht?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2015, 11:38:09 PM
Sligo have two teams in the Ted Webb while we only have one.
Are we witnessing the birth of a new superpower in Connacht?

2015 - the year of the black and tanned ones.

sligoman2

Don't know much about the Sligo team but it's great to see a win like this.  I wouldn't get too carried away with one win.  Didn't mayo beat Galway by a cricket score in the minor league and look what happened last week.
Hopefully our C of excellence will encourage more players to participate.  Hopefully we can add another win or two later this week😜😜😜
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Bingo

Apparently, Laois thought this was a hurling competition and sent the wrong squad to it. They decided to play anyway and took the beating.

This is totally made up.

trueblue1234

It's quite clear that Sligo U16's were juiced up. Only explanation.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Bingo on July 16, 2015, 11:03:18 AM
Apparently, Laois thought this was a hurling competition and sent the wrong squad to it. They decided to play anyway and took the beating.

This is totally made up.
No Zanes, Zachs, Dwanes or Daynes on the Laois squad. Very disappointing

Dinny Breen

I see Kildare beat Roscommon last night, bad week for the Rossies.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Last minute goal gave ye a 1 point win I believe.
When we learn the bit about games not being over till the final whistle there'll be no stopping us.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2015, 01:21:04 PM
Last minute goal gave ye a 1 point win I believe.
When we learn the bit about games not being over till the final whistle there'll be no stopping us.

Ref found 5 mins extra time from somewhere. Led to believe both sides didn't play well but conversely the more tight ones you win the better.
#newbridgeornowhere

rodney trotter

How many teams are in the Fr Manning Cup this year?, Kildare and Laois must be fairly new to it,