Kerry's crown under pressure?

Started by From the Bunker, February 12, 2019, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2019, 01:38:12 PM
Whether or not Dublin do or don't achieve 5 titles in a row should not affect their legacy. They are already a great side but the extent of that shouldn't necessarily be measured in the number of titles they have won. Most people would say that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest snooker player of all time yet he has won less world titles than Stephen Hendry, sometimes it is the way you play the game that is remembered long after you are gone. The best football that the current Dublin side played was probably in 2014 when they were actually beaten by Donegal in a smash and grab win and although they still do play the game in the right way there has also been a strong element of pragmatism employed since then.

I don't know whether they are the best ever, you could argue the toss all day long but another narrow win in an AI final will not really convince me either way. I doubt very much if the present Kerry side are motivated by stopping another team in order to preserve the status of their own county team from 40 years ago. The media may try and build it up as such but just trying to win an AI title for it's own sake is surely their primary motivation.     
can I mention the name Davis there 3 to choose from 2 def better than Ronnie

as for dublins 34 games in a row;  you have to take in account they play in leinster with 12 teams where as  Kerry had only  other 4 teams to contend with in Munster so that would screw with the figures
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2019, 03:47:54 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2019, 01:38:12 PM
Whether or not Dublin do or don't achieve 5 titles in a row should not affect their legacy. They are already a great side but the extent of that shouldn't necessarily be measured in the number of titles they have won. Most people would say that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest snooker player of all time yet he has won less world titles than Stephen Hendry, sometimes it is the way you play the game that is remembered long after you are gone. The best football that the current Dublin side played was probably in 2014 when they were actually beaten by Donegal in a smash and grab win and although they still do play the game in the right way there has also been a strong element of pragmatism employed since then.

I don't know whether they are the best ever, you could argue the toss all day long but another narrow win in an AI final will not really convince me either way. I doubt very much if the present Kerry side are motivated by stopping another team in order to preserve the status of their own county team from 40 years ago. The media may try and build it up as such but just trying to win an AI title for it's own sake is surely their primary motivation.     
can I mention the name Davis there 3 to choose from 2 def better than Ronnie

as for dublins 34 games in a row;  you have to take in account they play in leinster with 12 teams where as  Kerry had only  other 4 teams to contend with in Munster so that would screw with the figures

Yes in fairness Kerry stats in the 70s/80s would probably be the same if didn't play in a smaller province with less games and if there was All Ireland quarter finals back then.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2019, 01:16:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2019, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2019, 12:42:51 PM
Dublin have currently won 26 games in a row . The most that Kerry group managed was 19.

When Dublin pick up Sam this year they will be probably have won 34 games in a row. The equivalent of 8 AIs for Kerry in the 70s/80s.

They currently have only lost 2 games in 36 matches. That is the greatest legacy of all time.

If Kildare had the pick of 1.2 m people and more money than everyone else they would have won as much, more than likely

It's Kildare......

When did you join the revolution?

Maybe last year some time. Mayo gave the illusion of competition. 
If any other team other than Mayo (or Kildare) had played the Dubs in 3 finals would they not have won 1 of them ? I dunno

I think there is a strong case for counties boycotting the competition now until the GAA restructures it.

Watching the dubs win 6 or 7 in a row is pointless. That's not what your dreams should be.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Be some consternation if Counties refused to take part in the All Ireland series once their Provincial campaigns were over.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2019, 05:25:30 PM
Dublin have currently won 26 games in a row . The most that Kerry group managed was 19.

When Dublin pick up Sam this year they will be probably have won 34 games in a row. The equivalent of 8 AIs for Kerry in the 70s/80s.

They currently have only lost 2 games in 36 matches. That is the greatest legacy of all time.

If Kildare had the pick of 1.2 m people and more money than everyone else they would have won as much, more than likely

It's Kildare......

If any other team other than Mayo (or Kildare) had played the Dubs in 3 finals would they not have won 1 of them ? I dunno

I think there is a strong case for counties boycotting the competition now until the GAA restructures it.

Watching the dubs win 6 or 7 in a row is pointless. That's not what your dreams should be.

Seafoid, relax these things happen in cycles.  ;)

TheMaster

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 12, 2019, 01:32:05 PM
One thing I am going to enjoy this year is watching Kerry. Their fear of losing one of their crowns as having the best team ever (70's/80's) is on the horizon. They will burst a gut to make sure it does not happen both off and on the field.

You can expect the 3 O'Se's, Gooch, Spillane and Liston to up the anti media wise. Ex-Kerry Players will throw in their worth. They ran an excellently orchestrated ''Street wise Mayo'' Campaign in 2014. Worked a treat to

They will also back anyone who could get in their way. Any Dublin player who does anything dodgy on or off the field of play will have his offence exaggerated, heavy scrutinised and a call for blood!

Yerra. I dont remember any campaign against Mayo in?? Lee Keegan got a red card for lashing at Donnchadh Walsh and somehow won the appeal.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2019, 05:28:13 PM
Be some consternation if Counties refused to take part in the All Ireland series once their Provincial campaigns were over.

Kevin Cassidy

"When you step away from the county scene," he muses, "it's strange because you look back and you think, 'would I do it again if I was asked?'
I'm not sure you would, well, I'm not sure I would."

If you knew that only Dublin had a hope of winning would you be arsed ?
Sport without competition is not business as usual

easytiger95

Quote from: weareros on February 14, 2019, 02:12:09 PM
At the end of the day, you ask the likes of Mike Sheehy how many All-Irelands he won and he can show you 8, same for a lot of the rest of that great Kerry team. They also won the majority (exception 1980) of those All-Irelands in style, whereas Dublin scraped past the post. 5 in a row won't make Dublin a greater team.

Jesus, the ignorance - ask the likes of Cluxton, O'Sullivan and McCarthy how many do they have and they will say six and gunning for seven. Huge difference, eh?

easytiger95

It's Kildare......

It may have escaped your notice that Dublin played Kerry in 2 All Ireland finals and two semi finals since 2011 - winning by a point and 3 points in the finals, and by 7 points (in the greatest game I have ever seen in 2013) and by 2 points (in the most intense game I have ever seen - which includes being at Tyrone v Armagh in the 2005 semifinal) in the semis.

You may argue about how and why Dublin became the greatest of their era - nothing I can say will stop that. But trying to say that what they have achieved does not compare to what Kerry did in the 70s and 80s is both condescending to the teams of today and historically illiterate when you look at what that Kerry team actually had to do and who they had to beat to win their 8 All Irelands.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2019, 08:39:30 PM

It's Kildare......

Kondratiev cycles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondratiev_wave

Based on Kondratiev Mayo's time may be coming around again soon ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2019, 08:39:30 PM

It's Kildare......

Kondratiev cycles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondratiev_wave

Based on Kondratiev Mayo's time may be coming around again soon ;)

The problem with our cycles are they reach maturity with out a AI title on a product life cycle. We even had a extended maturity stage with this group.

blanketattack

By my maths, Dublin won 15 in a row currently.

craicwas90

Quote from: blanketattack on February 15, 2019, 04:35:49 PM

By my maths, Dublin won 15 in a row currently.

0 games in a row if its League and Championship!

Crete Boom

It's Kildare......

Dublin played and beat the current Mayo team in 3 finals, do you honestly think the current Galway team would beaten them in those finals or even have gotten as close to them as Mayo did?
Galway had their chance in the semi-final last year and on evidence of that game I personally don't think Galway are able to match what Mayo did in 2013,2015,2016 & 2017 against the Dubs at the moment!
I honestly I am not sure if the current reloaded Mayo team will be up to it this year either!!!

From the Bunker

It's Kildare......

Boycotting? We have been 15 years watching Leinster crumble. The Delaney Cup used to be a goal for most Leinster counties.  Now most look to see if they have avoided Dublin on their side of the draw. Leinster Finals are a one sided embarrassment. No one has shouted halt. Year after year the Leinster board voted for Dublin to have home games, so their respective county boards could receive crumbs from the table.

15 years of this Bullshit and no talk of Boycotting or looking at the problem?