Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 31, 2021, 11:03:09 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 30, 2021, 04:08:58 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2021, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 30, 2021, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2021, 11:13:23 AM
Sam you seem to have an obsession with "suck it up" ???
Is that your perception of " get on with life" while not letting bigots have their way.
Silver Hill's post is such a positive statement of how things are now and how things are heading for the Catholic/Nationalist Community in the 6 Cos.
Leave the negativity to DUPUDA and other backward looking extremists.
Definitely no offence meant here Sam but I think all shades of Nationalism in the north appear to have very short term and selective memories.
Who was responsible for initiating  discussions that lead to the GFA?
It all began when the then Taoiseach, Albert Reynolds,  succeeded in persuading Gerry Adams to sit down and talk- in secret I may add. The negotiations were slow and tortuous and it wasn't until Bertie Ahern became Taoiseach that Unionist spokesmen were persuaded/coerced to enter discussions.
Bertie played on his friendship with Tony Blair to  get him onside and he brought Unionists of all shades into the negotiations.
What about Bill Clinton? Who persuaded him to lend his support to the ongoing peace process and,no, it wasn't Sinn Fein!
Two Catholic priests and a Protestant clergymen were appointed as go-betweens - they didn't just pop out of the blue.  Other countries weighed in to assure the Prods that they'd act as guarantors that terms agreed at the talks would be honoured and a Canadian, John de Chastelain, was appointed to the chair. Canada didn't develop a benevolent interest in NI affairs overnight.

Finally, things got to the stage after thousand of hours of to-ing and fro-ing that Bertie Ahern won the confidence of Ian Paisley and knelt in prayer with him.
Paisley shook his hand and said he was a man of his word and so he proved to be.
You'd have no parity of esteem or a road map to unification without the orchestration of the Republic and that is simply undeniable.
I have yet to hear a Nationalist spokesperson acknowledge that fact.
On the other had, I see no great effort for moderate Nationalism to distance itself from the Free State jibers. Yet you resent the fact that southerners take an antagonistic  view of the Nationalist community.
How could it be otherwise when all we hear is coming from the likes of Angelo?
Very sweeping insulting take on northern nationalism...
Can you point out anywhere you disagree with me? I Didn't attempt  to do anything other than present the reason  why  many in the republic are confused and irritated by the continuous jibes being directed at us from people we feel have very short and selective memories.
Some but not all yet you include me with the likes of Angelo!
What!!
If that is how it came across, it was not intended
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Angelo

So not one of the free staters (bar Itchy) has had the gumption to say that the Free State have a lot of shame on their hands with regards the Troubles and how they were willing to do nothing in full knowledge of what northern nationalists were enduring and suffering?

That tells you an awful lot about the mentality down south. 50 years on and still won't acknowledge that fact or apologise for it. Is the same outlook there for victims of child abuse that the state turned a blind eye to as well? No shame at all? Northern nationalists just had to take their medicine in that regard.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 11:42:22 AM
So not one of the free staters (bar Itchy) has had the gumption to say that the Free State have a lot of shame on their hands with regards the Troubles and how they were willing to do nothing in full knowledge of what northern nationalists were enduring and suffering?

That tells you an awful lot about the mentality down south. 50 years on and still won't acknowledge that fact or apologise for it. Is the same outlook there for victims of child abuse that the state turned a blind eye to as well? No shame at all? Northern nationalists just had to take their medicine in that regard.

Couldn't give 2 fucks about ye to be honest.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on March 31, 2021, 01:32:42 PM

And yet you feel the need to ponitificate.

Interesting.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 01:48:00 PM

Interesting.

Not at all, just telling you how it is.

You are dripping in self pity and neediness. As this is the Joe Brolly thread, I'd agree with him on one thing - the UK won't want yous and good chance the south won't either. Why don't you grow a pair and stand on your own two feet?

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on March 31, 2021, 01:52:55 PM

Interesting.

You are dripping in self pity and neediness. As this is the Joe Brolly thread, I'd agree with him on one thing - the UK won't want yous and good chance the south won't either. Why don't you grow a pair and stand on your own two feet?

We'll have a United Ireland.

You'll just have to deal with a new Ireland eroded of the sectarian policies foisted on the north and stripped of the corrupt and self-serving grips of power by FFG.

I know you don't like that prospect but it's coming.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: Louther on March 31, 2021, 01:52:55 PM

Interesting.

We'll have a United Ireland.

You'll just have to deal with a new Ireland eroded of the sectarian policies foisted on the north and stripped of the corrupt and self-serving grips of power by FFG.

I know you don't like that prospect but it's coming.

Not in our lifetimes, that's the reality and you know it.

Don't think you actually want it either as you be happier have someone else to blame and point fingers at. God forbid you'd nothing to be bitter and twisted about.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2021, 07:33:41 AM
The world and politics in general doesn't have as many, in fact barely any, moderates these days though. It's not exclusive to nationalism. I would agree it's a middle ground is needed though.

I was discussing this stuff once with someone and their view was that a United ireland now can happen however he doesn't see SF can deliver it but they are too arrogant to see it. Tbh I would tend to agree. You only have to read the threads on here to see the reaction they provoke. If only there was a John Hume or the like in the sdlp :(

I have also been at matches in the south where stuff has been said so it works both ways. There are quite a few "we" can get up here too. West Brit probably the worst. It works both ways.

P.s. I am sure Bertie appreciates you sharing that info...

I was responding to Sam and the topic was the degree of antagonism that sourthers seem to have for northern nationalists in general.
I was pointing out the the tiny minority who hurl insults on an ongoing basis at all and everything in the south get the majority a bad name.
On this matter, I feel uncomfortable discussiing this particular subject as I feel there is one particular poster who is active on this thread and he seems to have serious anger management issues. I have no desire to provoke him any further.
That's just my honest opinion but I'll leave it at that.
With regard to what Bertie said to me, this was no big deal. He was the first I heard say it but certainly not the last. The news had just broken and there were about ten others in that conversation when the bombings were brought up.
Everyone was more interested in downing pints that in current affairs at that stage of the night!

imtommygunn

Yeah that is fair enough. "We" are not all like that ;D

It's not very easy actually having a discussion in this place these days.

6th sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2021, 03:06:25 PM
Yeah that is fair enough. "We" are not all like that ;D

It's not very easy actually having a discussion in this place these days.
Would agree lads, great to get insight into where others are coming from, and bounce ideas off each other, but not interested in anger or antagonism

ardtole

I dont know anyone in the north who refers to the residents in the south as freestaters. Ive been to hundreds of county games as well and never had any trouble at gaa matches north or south either.

6th sam

Quote from: ardtole on March 31, 2021, 03:49:28 PM
I dont know anyone in the north who refers to the residents in the south as freestaters. Ive been to hundreds of county games as well and never had any trouble at gaa matches north or south either.

I've never heard it from either side at football matches but have heard a few anecdotes both ways.
I heard The term "freestate" used by farmers back in the day, as a descriptive term based on a lack of knowledge , annoying but not antagonistic. More recently I've heard it used occasionally, and it's always being used antagonistically , it's offensive , and makes no sense to me for  a republican to think that using derogatory terms about the majority of people on this island is going to further their cause .

Lar Naparka

I am enjoying this discussion thoroughly now that nuances of interpretation have ben resolved. ;D
It's the first sensible, honest to goodness chat I have participated in for a while and I think I have a clearer understanding of what Northern posters, in general anyway, think of the south.
I would say there is less between us than I had thought when I joined in.

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on March 31, 2021, 04:04:58 PM

I've never heard it from either side at football matches but have heard a few anecdotes both ways.
I heard The term "freestate" used by farmers back in the day, as a descriptive term based on a lack of knowledge , annoying but not antagonistic. More recently I've heard it used occasionally, and it's always being used antagonistically , it's offensive , and makes no sense to me for  a republican to think that using derogatory terms about the majority of people on this island is going to further their cause .

How is it dergogatory?

It's factual, particularly if you're a republican.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 31, 2021, 04:04:58 PM

How is it dergogatory?

It's factual, particularly if you're a republican.

I'm northern and I'm a republican, and I find it derogatory , and what's more I'd be confident that all SF politicians find it derogatory as well