Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 30, 2016, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 20, 2015, 01:19:58 PM
Beers that I rate and are decent value for money in the likes of Tescos and Sainsburys (spitting llama excluded). Most of them you'd only take in 2s or 3's. Can't drink 'ordinary' beer now .... apart from good draught Guinness

Timothy Taylor - Boltmaker 4.0% Yorkshire Ale
Whitewater Brewery in Kilkeel - Clotworthy Dobbin 5.0% ale
Hillstown Brewery in Ahoghill - Spitting Llama Belgian Tripel 7.0%
Guinness - Foreign Extra Stout 7.5%
Guinness - West Indies Porter 6.0%

A couple of bottles of that Guinness Foreign Extra Stout with dark rum chasers and you won't need rocking. Proper drinking?

Stuff in bold is lethal! few bottles and the nights over.

the west indies stuff is lovely would like to see the bring it oout on tap but it would likely require a reduction in strenght

aontroim abu

had the pleasure of sampling a few Wicklow Brewery Helles beer, lovely stuff, really really nice

DrinkingHarp

Interesting information on who really makes your beer......

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-largest-beer-brewers-2016-8
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone found any nice Pale Ales? I like drinking an Irish Pale Ale, or an India Pale Ale at home. Also Golden Ales, or Blonde Ales. I find them lovely and easy to drink, and best of all, barring you go haywire, very little after effects the next morning.

A couple of my current favourites
Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale
8 Degrees Howling Gale
8 Degrees Big River Tasmanian IPA
Trouble Brewing Deception Golden Ale
Treaty City Harris Pale Ale
Journey Man Session Pale Ale

All Irish,

Then from the UK, Sharps Atlantic Exceptional Pale Ale
Adnams Ghost Ship Pale Ale

And from America
Kentucky Ale

I've a six pack of Sweet Water Extra Pale Ale to try this evening at a Barbeque. Anything else on yer radars?

Avondhu star

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2017, 01:36:25 PM
Resurrecting this thread. Anyone found any nice Pale Ales? I like drinking an Irish Pale Ale, or an India Pale Ale at home. Also Golden Ales, or Blonde Ales. I find them lovely and easy to drink, and best of all, barring you go haywire, very little after effects the next morning.

A couple of my current favourites
Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale
8 Degrees Howling Gale
8 Degrees Big River Tasmanian IPA
Trouble Brewing Deception Golden Ale
Treaty City Harris Pale Ale
Journey Man Session Pale Ale

All Irish,

Then from the UK, Sharps Atlantic Exceptional Pale Ale
Adnams Ghost Ship Pale Ale

And from America
Kentucky Ale

I've a six pack of Sweet Water Extra Pale Ale to try this evening at a Barbeque. Anything else on yer radars?

Have recently gone working on the various Irish ales, pale red etc. I found a St. Mels from Longford very nice. I used drink a lot of different ales when in London and had forgot how lethal some of them can be as I just went on Bud and other lagers when I came home.
Its a different slower type of drinking that is required to avoid the headache the next day
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

AZOffaly

That's me Avondhu. Slower and older :) Maybe that's why I appreciate these beers a bit more now :) I've seen the Saint Mels one alright, I must give it a go. Cheers.

Tony Baloney

The choice in this market now is bewildering. It has exploded even in the last 2 years. I was at a wedding this week in Castle Leslie and on arrival there were bottles of Castle Leslie blonde lager (tasty!). Even up in the Glens now there are a few craft breweries such as Barrahooley and Glens of Antrim.

Good to see some recommendations from you lads as I'm now taking a quality not quantity approach. It has taken a while to get to this point!

theskull1

Drinking from a smaller glass helps slow the pace down for me when drinking stronger beers. I use a halfun' glass and get an hour from a 330ml bottle in the house
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Quote from: theskull1 on April 21, 2017, 02:04:58 PM
Drinking from a smaller glass helps slow the pace down for me when drinking stronger beers. I use a halfun' glass and get an hour from a 330ml bottle in the house

I use the half glass too but only for the bigger 500ml bottles. I prefer drinking the long necks from the bottle. I might be a Philistine, but feck it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on April 21, 2017, 02:04:58 PM
That's just the miserable North Antrim side of you coming out.

Main Street

Last time I was in Ireland I found many of the bottled ales to be nothing special and many of them too bitter, though the draft ales generally were a very different proposition and very drinkable.
However, the bottled Kinsale Pale Ale was very tasty, my favourite, whereas the bottled Kinsale IPA was way too bitter.
Maybe the hops just get too bitter after a month or two in the bottle. The recommended drink by date doesn't pass muster.

AZOffaly

The Kinsale Pale Ale does wreck with my stomach! I'd be farting for Ireland after it :)

ardchieftain

Quote from: muppet on July 30, 2016, 03:50:43 PM

Tried the above last night.

Pretty good stuff.

7.5/10.

I'd give it a 9.5. Love it.
It's very strange that they do it in cans instead of bottles. Still can't get my head around it.

Another easily drank ale is Old Speckled Hen[english i know], a very tasty drop.

Main Street

Old Speckled Hen is a fine safe beer to buy (Tescos?), but who knows what might happen when this innocent beer meets AZ's digestion.

laoislad

I like the red ale myself. Lidl do a lovely red ale from a crowd called the Crafty Brewing Company.Made in Kilcock.
Also do a Stout and a Lager.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.