Down v Leitrim Sun 29th June 2pm

Started by PAULD123, June 24, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

I thought I would start a thread even though I am not expecting much interest. Incredible how far from the public eye we have slipped since 2010 when every Down match would have a thread running several pages a week before the game. So why is it that this change has occurred?

We are not THAT bad. I mean we are comfortably in Division 2, took Tyrone the distance, probably a decent shout for a quarter final. Pretty much around the same standard as Armagh. Yet Armagh fans are much more enthusiastic to comment on their games.

I think it is just that there is nothing inventive or new coming out of the Down team for about two years now. We know what we are getting, and it's not very entertaining. We have reached a plateau and show no sign of getting beyond it and no pleasure is staying there. One thing, win lose or draw, I was always entertained at Down games. I can't say that that has been the case in most matches for the last 12 months.

Brick Tamlin

Or maybe we are playing Leitrim and no one gives a shite nor gives them a prayer.
If it were Derry or Meath or the likes it might have generated more interest.

armaghniac

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 24, 2014, 12:50:12 PM
We are not THAT bad. I mean we are comfortably in Division 2, took Tyrone the distance, probably a decent shout for a quarter final. Pretty much around the same standard as Armagh. Yet Armagh fans are much more enthusiastic to comment on their games.

Down are around the same standard as Armagh. But Armagh are playing their immediate neighbours, where both sides know a bit about the other, after a bit of controversy in the previous game where to rally the troops. Down are playing a team that Armagh beat away last year by 27 points.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

A man from Down

Lets just hope that Longford beating Derry last weekend has'nt set a precedent. Down never make it easy for themselves against lesser opposition in the qualifiers.

Its hard to know which Down team will turn up on Sunday, I'm still scratching my head with the events and outcome of the two Tyrone games.

For my money I would like to see:

1.   McVeigh
2.   Dan McCartan
3.   Benny McArdle
4.   Darren O'Hagan
5.   Ryan Johnston
6.   Aidan Carr
7.   Conor Garvey
8.   Dan Gordan
9.   Peter Turley
10. Ambrose Rogers
11. Mark Poland
12. Conor Maginn
13. Conor Laverty
14. Jerome Johnston
15. Donal O'Hare

I'd imagine though that the team that starts will be similar to the team that started against Tyrone in Newry. One thing is that there is a strong enough bench if called for.

Aristo 60

Its the nature of the Armagh fans, commenting everywhere they can  ::)

armaghniac

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 24, 2014, 01:32:10 PM

Always good to point out that we beat Leitrim by 27 points, it will give Down something to aim for.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zip Code

Quote from: armaghniac on June 24, 2014, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 24, 2014, 01:32:10 PM

Always good to point out that we beat Leitrim by 27 points, it will give Down something to aim for.  :)

;D

A man from Down

That was last year, sure Cavan beat Armagh handy enough last year. Maybe that will give Monaghan something to aim for?

Agent Orange

Which would be the bigger upset? Leitrim beating Down or an Armagh man managing Down in 2015? One is as good as guaranteed and the other could be a good outside bet. You decide.

whitegoodman

Quote from: A man from Down on June 24, 2014, 01:31:18 PM
Lets just hope that Longford beating Derry last weekend has'nt set a precedent. Down never make it easy for themselves against lesser opposition in the qualifiers.

Its hard to know which Down team will turn up on Sunday, I'm still scratching my head with the events and outcome of the two Tyrone games.

For my money I would like to see:

1.   McVeigh
2.   Dan McCartan
3.   Benny McArdle
4.   Darren O'Hagan
5.   Ryan Johnston
6.   Aidan Carr
7.   Conor Garvey
8.   Dan Gordan
9.   Peter Turley
10. Ambrose Rogers
11. Mark Poland
12. Conor Maginn
13. Conor Laverty
14. Jerome Johnston
15. Donal O'Hare

I'd imagine though that the team that starts will be similar to the team that started against Tyrone in Newry. One thing is that there is a strong enough bench if called for.

The two Johnstons will def not start !!

A man from Down

PAULD123

Quote from: Agent Orange on June 24, 2014, 01:44:31 PM
Which would be the bigger upset? Leitrim beating Down or an Armagh man managing Down in 2015? One is as good as guaranteed and the other could be a good outside bet. You decide.

I presume you mean McCorry. I'd be surprised if he took over Down. The main issue is money and the County board's "principles" of not paying. Or perhaps you could call it shortsightendness

Brick Tamlin

Johnsons are on their holidays. They wont be playing.
McCorry is the standout candidate to take over from James when he goes. The other being Dawson. But the county board wont want to stump up the reddies for either.
So whenever wee James goes it will probably be Dan next for the hot seat.

A man from Down

Well if its about not paying anyone then that rules out all the Armagh candidates.

A man from Down

Anyway, this is a non topic right now. Wee James is clearly the best man for the job, he has steadied the ship and although we demand silverware we have to realise that with the players we have lost in the last few years its gonna be hard to get to the next level. Its easy after a defeat to discuss the future of a manager but fickle as we are, after a couple of decent wins in the qualifiers (fingers crossed) we can look forward to another push for Division one promotion next year and onwards and upwards.

For now though its the qualifiers and who knows...